S.A.Laffin

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  36
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

Ah,,er...um,why do we need modern day prophets anyway? Hasn't God made it clear enough what to expect in His word, but then some people like to puff themselves up a bit I suppose. All so-called prophets today can do is to read from the word as the holy spirit directs to act as a remember as to what will happen.JMO.

I am not sure if I can comment on this since I have not developed the proper authority through an adequate amount of posts to start a controversial topic, however I will take a risk, if I am out of line let me know. I have a post on my blog titled "Crippled Christ," which might speak to what you are saying, you can view it at http://www.godworshippers.blogspot.com. If this is an inappropriate action (sending someone to my blog which might be a controversial way of approaching the topic) please inform me as I am new here.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  232
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  7,261
  • Content Per Day:  0.96
  • Birthday:  12/19/1959

We need to understand that we are in the times of the "Last Days", and we need to warn of those who are deceiving the flock.

I agree in part but I also understand that we are called to be FAITHFUL and WISE and to "give them their food at the proper time". [Matthew 24:45] There are certain truths that I do not discuss with an unbeliever and there are other truths that I do not discuss with a person new to the FAITH. Regardless, we are more effective, I believe, when we teach people how to listen to God rather than teach them who not to listen to. One step at a time...just as Christ taught His followers and just as the Holy Spirit leads us today.

So why didn't Paul name names? :noidea: Rather, we are taught what signs to look for. We are encouraged to TRUST God, rely on the leading of the Holy Spirit...to immerse ourselves in the Word of God. We are taught what to look out for rather than who to look out for.

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.21
  • Days Won:  58

Ive always encouraged people to be Berean and compare what anyone says to scripture. Im curious what you would do, Wayne, if "Sue" came to you and said "John Doe is a great preacher and prophet, I just adore him", and you knew that John Doe had a prophecy that in the year 2000, the US would cease to exist because yellowstone volcano would erupt. You know his prophecy is proven to be false. You know we are to reject him. How do you tell "Sue" that this preacher/ prophet she adores is not what he claims to be? How would you encourage her to do as scripture says and reject the false prophet?

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  80
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,595
  • Content Per Day:  0.22

So why didn't Paul name names? Rather, we are taught what signs to look for. We are encouraged to TRUST God, rely on the leading of the Holy Spirit...to immerse ourselves in the Word of God. We are taught what to look out for rather than who to look out for.

14 Alexander the coppersmith did me much evil: the Lord reward him according to his works: 15 Of whom be thou ware also; for he hath greatly withstood our words.

2 Tim 4:14-15 (KJV)

10 For Demas hath forsaken me, having loved this present world, and is departed unto Thessalonica; Crescens to Galatia, Titus unto Dalmatia. 11 Only Luke is with me

2 Tim 4:10-11 (KJV)

This thou knowest, that all they which are in Asia be turned away from me; of whom are Phygellus and Hermogenes

2 Tim 1:15 (KJV)

Paul named names and warned us what to look for.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  473
  • Content Per Day:  0.07

Again, it was 1500 years before some of Isaiah's prophecies came true and there are Biblical prophecies yet to come true.

Based on some posters' definition of a false prophet, so you want names of false prophets- well I guess some of saying Isaiah.

Personally, I don't think Isaiah was a false prophet.

But there's a problem somewhere.

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.21
  • Days Won:  58

Terter, if you mean me, you are misunderstanding what Im saying. There are prophecies which have not happened yet, but still could happen. On those I dont cry "false". There are many prophecies which have been made that give clear days and events. When these fail to happen, they can be clearly denounced as false.

As an example, one modern preacher prophecized:

The Spirit tells me -- Fidel Castro will die in the 90's. Oooh my! Some will try to kill him and they will not succeed. But there will come a change in his physical health, and he will not stay in power, and Cuba will be visited of God.

This was a real "prophecy" made by a prominent preacher back in the late 1980s. Here it is 2007 and Castro is still alive and in power. Given the specific event and time, its safe to call this a false prophecy and the preacher a false prophet.

Another one said

God wants us to go to the back streets. He wants to have a cure for AIDS. He said it's going to be by the year 2002, there's going to be a cure for AIDS.

Its 2007 and there is still no cure for AIDS. False prophecy and false prophet.

• Topic Count:  29
  • Content Count:  318
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Birthday:  11/21/1963

A false prophet would be one that bears testimony of themselves to seek glory for themselves. Imagine if John the Baptist had gotten a swell head being chosen as he was and he went around and declared himself to be the Voice in the Wilderness even after Jesus had come!!!

John 3: 28Ye yourselves bear me witness, that I said, I am not the Christ, but that I am sent before him. 29He that hath the bride is the bridegroom: but the friend of the bridegroom, which standeth and heareth him, rejoiceth greatly because of the bridegroom's voice: this my joy therefore is fulfilled. 30He must increase, but I must decrease.

John 7: 18He that speaketh of himself seeketh his own glory: but he that seeketh his glory that sent him, the same is true, and no unrighteousness is in him. 19Did not Moses give you the law, and yet none of you keepeth the law? Why go ye about to kill me?

2 Corinthians 4: 5For we preach not ourselves, but Christ Jesus the Lord; and ourselves your servants for Jesus' sake. 6For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. 7But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellency of the power may be of God, and not of us.

Seems of late, the subject of latter day prophets are too busy declaring themselves than they are the message of correction in keeping the faith that supposedly God sent them to bear witness of. The more they speak of their commitments.... which is a religious boast by the way.... the less I hear of keeping the faith in Christ. I say.... start doing what they claim they were sent to do... and stop glorying in vanity about being sent to do it. We are nothing... for it is God that causes the increase.

1 Corinthians 3: 5Who then is Paul, and who is Apollos, but ministers by whom ye believed, even as the Lord gave to every man? 6I have planted, Apollos watered; but God gave the increase. 7So then neither is he that planteth any thing, neither he that watereth; but God that giveth the increase.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  297
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  5,586
  • Content Per Day:  0.69
  • Days Won:  1

I think the biggest misconception about this topic, is the term "false prophet". As I see from Scriptures that a false prophet does not have to be someone who prophecies "upcoming events" falsely, but rather is one who speaks of God and His Word (falsely/deceptively). And in my opinion there are many of those today in the limelight. They are speaking another gospel, that is leading the flock astray, because they are not telling them the WHOLE counsel of God. That is quite different than saying one is a false prophet, because he is predicting upcoming events improperly.

From the many passages of Scripture that I have referred to in the other FP threads, these passages are talking about men/women who are deceivers and are feeding off the flock for their own gain and promotion, not because they are truly listening to the Word of God. (much like poor in spirit was describing)

Jeremiah 6:13 "From the least to the greatest, all are greedy for gain; prophets and priests alike, all practice deceit. 14 They dress the wound of my people as though it were not serious. 'Peace, peace,' they say, when there is no peace. 15 Are they ashamed of their loathsome conduct? No, they have no shame at all; they do not even know how to blush. So they will fall among the fallen; they will be brought down when I punish them," says the Lord. 16 This is what the Lord says: "Stand at the crossroads and look; ask for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is, and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls. But you said, 'We will not walk in it.' 17 I appointed watchmen over you and said, 'Listen to the sound of the trumpet!' But you said, 'We will not listen.'

(Read Jeremiah 23)

here's a portion:

"I have heard what the prophets say who prophesy lies in my name. They say, 'I had a dream! I had a dream!' 26 How long will this continue in the hearts of these lying prophets, who prophesy the delusions of their own minds? 27 They think the dreams they tell one another will make my people forget my name, just as their fathers forgot my name through Baal worship. 28 Let the prophet who has a dream tell his dream, but let the one who has my word speak it faithfully. For what has straw to do with grain?" declares the Lord.

30 "Therefore," declares the Lord, "I am against the prophets who steal from one another words supposedly from me. 31 Yes," declares the Lord, "I am against the prophets who wag their own tongues and yet declare, 'The Lord declares.' 32 Indeed, I am against those who prophesy false dreams," declares the Lord. "They tell them and lead my people astray with their reckless lies, yet I did not send or appoint them. They do not benefit these people in the least," declares the Lord.

In His Love,

Suzanne

Edited by tsth

• Topic Count:  29
  • Content Count:  318
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Birthday:  11/21/1963

I think the biggest misconception about this topic, is the term "false prophet". As I see from Scriptures that a false prophet does not have to be someone who prophecies "upcoming events" falsely, but rather is one who speaks of God and His Word (falsely/deceptively). And in my opinion there are many of those today in the limelight. They are speaking another gospel, that is leading the flock astray, because they are not telling them the WHOLE counsel of God. That is quite different than saying one is a false prophet, because he is predicting upcoming events improperly.

From the many passages of Scripture that I have referred to in the other FP threads, these passages are talking about men/women who are deceivers and are feeding off the flock for their own gain and promotion, not because they are truly listening to the Word of God. (much like poor in spirit was describing)

In His Love,

Suzanne

True, but I was referring to a false witness which makes up a false prophet... whereas in this case, the witness seeks his or her own glory and not the glory of Him that sent him or her. That too can be found in a movement or in a church when they glorify something else in His name, giving credence to themselves or to the church or movement in His name. When false prophets broaden the Way and places something or someone else in the spotlight as making a difference as if faith in Jesus Christ is not enough, then they are glorifying something else in His name. Do note the boasts of those left behind in verses 21-23 all because they ignore His sayings in verse 24.

Matthew 7: 13Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat: 14Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it. 15Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves. 16Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles? 17Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit. 18A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit. 19Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire. 20Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them. 21Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. 22Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? 23And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity. 24Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock: 25And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not: for it was founded upon a rock. 26And every one that heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand:27And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.

And if the warning is not clear in light of the scriptures on what we are to do, then read the other witness of the times before the rapture event where we are to narrow the Way back to Jesus.

Luke 13: 24Strive to enter in at the strait gate: for many, I say unto you, will seek to enter in, and shall not be able. 25When once the master of the house is risen up, and hath shut to the door, and ye begin to stand without, and to knock at the door, saying, Lord, Lord, open unto us; and he shall answer and say unto you, I know you not whence ye are: 26Then shall ye begin to say, We have eaten and drunk in thy presence, and thou hast taught in our streets. 27But he shall say, I tell you, I know you not whence ye are; depart from me, all ye workers of iniquity. 28There shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth, when ye shall see Abraham, and Isaac, and Jacob, and all the prophets, in the kingdom of God, and you yourselves thrust out. 29And they shall come from the east, and from the west, and from the north, and from the south, and shall sit down in the kingdom of God. 30And, behold, there are last which shall be first, and there are first which shall be last.

Matthew 15: 7Ye hypocrites, well did Esaias prophesy of you, saying, 8This people draweth nigh unto me with their mouth, and honoureth me with their lips; but their heart is far from me. 9But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men. 10And he called the multitude, and said unto them, Hear, and understand: 11Not that which goeth into the mouth defileth a man; but that which cometh out of the mouth, this defileth a man. .....18But those things which proceed out of the mouth come forth from the heart; and they defile the man. 19For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies: 20These are the things which defile a man: but to eat with unwashen hands defileth not a man.

Anyway...one does not need to have huge gains, but just a monetary living thus fulfilling the hireling stance so a huge finiacial gain is not a sure thing identifying a false prophet.

John 10: 7Then said Jesus unto them again, Verily, verily, I say unto you, I am the door of the sheep. 8All that ever came before me are thieves and robbers: but the sheep did not hear them. 9I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture. 10The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly. 11I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep. 12But he that is an hireling, and not the shepherd, whose own the sheep are not, seeth the wolf coming, and leaveth the sheep, and fleeth: and the wolf catcheth them, and scattereth the sheep. 13The hireling fleeth, because he is an hireling, and careth not for the sheep. 14I am the good shepherd, and know my sheep, and am known of mine.

The good sure thing to know we are striving to enter in as we are living the perilous times is by the words of Paul....

1 Corinthians 2: 2For I determined not to know any thing among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified.

Philippians 2: 9Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name: 10That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth; 11And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

So like the Promise Keepers event which exalts men as promise keepers.. and these sensational moves of what they claim to be the Holy Spirit as if going to a place will get one closer to Him... they are glorifying something else in His name.

John 15: 26But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me: 27And ye also shall bear witness, because ye have been with me from the beginning.

John 16: 13Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come. 14He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you.

1 John 3:22And whatsoever we ask, we receive of him, because we keep his commandments, and do those things that are pleasing in his sight. 23And this is his commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gave us commandment. 24And he that keepeth his commandments dwelleth in him, and he in him. And hereby we know that he abideth in us, by the Spirit which he hath given us.... 1 John 4: 1Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world. 2Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God: 3And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world. 4Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world. 5They are of the world: therefore speak they of the world, and the world heareth them. 6We are of God: he that knoweth God heareth us; he that is not of God heareth not us. Hereby know we the spirit of truth, and the spirit of error.

Matthew 24: 23Then if any man shall say unto you, Lo, here is Christ, or there; believe it not. 24For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect. 25Behold, I have told you before. 26Wherefore if they shall say unto you, Behold, he is in the desert; go not forth: behold, he is in the secret chambers; believe it not. 27For as the lightning cometh out of the east, and shineth even unto the west; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be. 28For wheresoever the carcase is, there will the eagles be gathered together. 29Immediately after the tribulation of those days shall the sun be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, and the stars shall fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens shall be shaken: 30And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory. 31And he shall send his angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other. 32Now learn a parable of the fig tree; When his branch is yet tender, and putteth forth leaves, ye know that summer is nigh: 33So likewise ye, when ye shall see all these things, know that it is near, even at the doors. 34Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled. 35Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away. 36But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only. 37But as the days of Noah were, so shall also the coming of the Son of man be. 38For as in the days that were before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noe entered into the ark, 39And knew not until the flood came, and took them all away; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be. 40Then shall two be in the field; the one shall be taken, and the other left. 41Two women shall be grinding at the mill; the one shall be taken, and the other left. 42Watch therefore: for ye know not what hour your Lord doth come. 43But know this, that if the goodman of the house had known in what watch the thief would come, he would have watched, and would not have suffered his house to be broken up. 44Therefore be ye also ready: for in such an hour as ye think not the Son of man cometh.

Anyway, just sharing how a false witness can make up a false prophet... for assuredly, a false prophet is a false witness.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  297
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  5,586
  • Content Per Day:  0.69
  • Days Won:  1

I agree with you poorinspirit.

In His Love,

Suzanne