Guest LadyC

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  439
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  7,315
  • Content Per Day:  0.93
  • Days Won:  0

You know, I do have sympathy. You know why?

When I was a chief of sinners, God had pity on me. In the midst of my gross offenses, God offered His mercy and kindness and ......(are you ready for this?)......

He sent Jesus to die for me so I wouldn't have to pay the price for my sins.

I didn't deserve it. I didn't have it coming. I wasn't worthy. There's "nicer" people in the world more deserving than me.

I was just a lowlife sinner. God, in his mercy, chose to save me.

No, LadyC...you may not care for Martha ...but God does.

It doesn't matter if she's famous or rich or talented or anything else. She's a human being in need of a Savior. If I were the sort to wager, I'd bet real money that God loves her more than you or I could ever imagine.

I like to imagine what an awesome saint Martha could become if she accepted Jesus in her heart.

I'll be right now Martha is feeling pretty alone. I'll bet right now she would be pretty open to the gospel message. I will pray for her and ask the Lord to make His presense known to her...and help her to fill her heart and mind with His Son, Jesus....

We need all the saints we can muster for the Kingdom....the great and the small. All are invited to the wedding feast of the Lamb.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest LadyC

i stand (sit) appropriately rebuked.

but, even thought Christ died for our sins, and for hers, it does not give us a get out of jail free card if we break the law.... she broke the law, despite the fact that i think proclaiming one's innocense should not be illegal, she was found guilty on four counts... only two of which were for lying. those charges carry a sentence. i don't think she needs to serve 20 years for the offenses, but i think it would be a serious injustice if she got off without serving any time at all.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  123
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,111
  • Content Per Day:  0.39

I feel sorry for her and hope she does no jail time. I think she is a scapegoat. So what if she got a tip that the stock was going to dive and dumped it? Big deal. The rich live in a world that most of us can't even comprehend and little of what they do interests me. Doesn't seem like much of a "crime" to me. Not to mention - who wouldn't have acted on the tip? What was she supposed to do? Say "Oh, okay. Guess I'm going to lose some money". Not. and I'm not a Martha Stewart fan. I also agree that there are real crimes that need time and attention. JMO

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  827
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  12,101
  • Content Per Day:  1.50
  • Days Won:  3

In my opiniion she knew exactly what she was doing. She sold her stock and whoever bought it suffered the loss. We all have consequences for our actions. That's why we have to try to make good choices. Even the Martha Stewarts of this world.

Everything we do makes ripples. Everything. At the end of our action is a consequence, be it good or bad. Remember reaping and sowing? It's a build in law of the universe that God made.

I also remember the times in my life when I fell, and looking back I can see that the Lord was molding the events around me to try to get my attention. Perhaps this will slow down this lady long enough to look to Him. Maybe, this is His workings.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  171
  • Content Count:  4,813
  • Content Per Day:  0.64

I feel badly for what she'll face in jail. Will she be in some kind of white collar prison or just the regular kind you see on movies, with the really tough chicks? If so, they'll really want a peice of her.

Guest LadyC
I feel badly for what she'll face in jail. Will she be in some kind of white collar prison or just the regular kind you see on movies, with the really tough chicks? If so, they'll really want a peice of her.

no, it will be a federal prison... not that i've ever been to prison, but from what i understand, the non-violent federal offenders have most of the luxuries of home. maybe not the state of the art cooking utensils she's used to, but she'll adjust.

i agree with traveller. she knew what she was doing. she used to be a stockbroker, for crying out loud! she KNEW what she was doing was illegal.

it was only 48 thousand dollars for her. pocket change. but what about the poor chumps who purchased those shares through their 401k plan? those people i have sympathy for. know why? because my brother was heavily invested in 401k... not in those particular stocks though. he was looking at retiring with over 2 million bucks. after 9/11, he's now hoping to retire with 50 grand. now i realize that the enron and the crash after 9/11 are two separate incidents, but can you now see how something like this might effect the little guys?

scapegoat? i'm not going to say she wasn't... i think she was. but that doesn't ignore the fact that she intentionally broke the law. if there are no consequences for her, there shouldn't be any consequences for anyone else either.

it reminds me of bill clinton's fiasco. he got off with a slap on the wrist for committing purgery. would anyone else be so lucky?

those who are up on the top rungs of the ladder should be held accountable. they set an example to the rest of us.

so while i sit rebuked for not having pity, let me clarify it. i have compassion and pity for her SOUL... but none for her actions, or the consequences of them.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  171
  • Content Count:  4,813
  • Content Per Day:  0.64

If there really is a problem with crowded jails and because of that, they are letting pedophiles and murderers go because of this, I would certainly rather see Martha free than any pedophile. Whether or not this is a real issue, i don't know.

i stand (sit) appropriately rebuked.

but, even thought Christ died for our sins, and for hers, it does not give us a get out of jail free card if we break the law.... she broke the law, despite the fact that i think proclaiming one's innocense should not be illegal, she was found guilty on four counts... only two of which were for lying. those charges carry a sentence. i don't think she needs to serve 20 years for the offenses, but i think it would be a serious injustice if she got off without serving any time at all.

I have had so many sins that went unpunished. I certainly think a hefty fine would be appropriate.

What bothers me is that everytime I hear this on television, my husband jeers and says, "Good...throw the book at her!"

He says that all the time about everyone, whether they're guilty or not.

I guess I see the same crowd that yelled, "Crucify Him!" alive and well in today's society.

When I see people sin I crave mercy for them and a longing to see them come to Jesus.

God has shown me so much mercy that I have to hang my head in shame. I am not even worthy to sit at the Lamb's feast someday.

So, I am filled to the brim with pity on those who do wrong...

I hope we will pray that this will help Martha repent and turn her talents toward something that will glorify God.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,260
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

People who do the things she did cause a lot of people to loose money and some retirements. While the amount of money envolved is not that much the principle is very important. The main thing she is being convicted of is lying about what she actually did, and this effects the trust that we are supposed to have with the financial institutions. That trust must be there if people are going to invest in tht environment.

The main problem I have with her is that she doesn't understand what she did wrong. At least she still says she didn't do anything wrong, and that tells me she needs jail time to reflect on what has happened.

i agree with traveller. she knew what she was doing. she used to be a stockbroker, for crying out loud! she KNEW what she was doing was illegal.

I hope you'll also agree that Martha doesn't have the Holy Spirit to convict her of sin. She did what anyone would have done if they saw bad news on the horizon...she went in defensive mode.

I'd bet Christians with the Holy Spirit would do the same.

Why? Because it's instinct. We tend to get out of the way when a train is coming down the tracks. That's what she did.

We will be judged by the same measure we judge others. If we're compassionate, we will be judged with compassion.

Jesus's words...not mine.

Matthew 7:1-2

1 "Judge not, that you be not judged. 2 For with what judgment you judge, you will be judged; and with the measure you use, it will be measured back to you.

I can't tell you the number of times (before I met Jesus) that I stole paper, pens, paper clips from the office.How often I cheated on taxes and searched for every loophole I could find. How many times I slipped in an expired or improper grocery coupon.

Now, how am I any different from Martha Stewart? Really?

I am WITHOUT HONOR! I'm not one iota better than Martha Stewart. If she deserves prison, so do I.