• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  455
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0

I'd like to offer some insight here.

1 Cor 14:2...."For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him;  howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries."

The Greek word used here for understandeth is "akuo", meaning primarily to hear out loud with understanding (audibily).

In this chapter dealing with the gifts of tongues the other times the word understand is used it is a different Greek word meaning simply to understand (mentally).

THEN....Paul tells what the gift of tongues is for.....

1Cor14:22.."Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not:...."

This along with other stipulations of the usage are given, which it seems , Bisquit, you have picked up on.

As far as being baptised with the Holy Spirit by the laying on of hands, I believe scripture teaches that upon the salvation instant we are baptised as such.

John 7:39..."(But this spake He of the Spirit, which they that believe on Him should recieve:  for the Holy Ghost was not yet given; because that Jesus was not yet glorified.)"

We know in John it shows that by the right kind of belief we are "re-born", and we know that Jesus is to baptise us with the Holy Spirit, thereby we are spiritually "re-born".

There is no "second baptism" for believers.....

Eph 4:5.."One lord, one faith, one baptism."

We can be  filled with the Spirit....with this fruit...

Eph5:18,19...."And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess;  but be filled with the Spirit:...(19).....Speaking to yourselves in pslams and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord;"

Hope this helps, although each insight can be further expounded upon.

Blessings, Carl....OSAS :hmmm:

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,399
  • Content Per Day:  0.43
  • Days Won:  1

One Accord

So how does one discern?  Discernment is one of the gifts of the Holy Spirit. It is one to pray earnestly for.  Reading the Bible in its entirety and staying in it, abiding in it.  Being grounded and established and rooted in the Word of God.  It is of utmost importance when you feel you are weak in discernment of teachers and preachers around you, Thank Him for His Word that you always have the Truth to hold in your hands, and truly He will lead you in the paths of righteousness.  Believe that!

Thank you One Accord for righting on this issue of true discernment. Discernment that has always been my greatest worry. How does one know the difference between true discernment and ones own faulty logic?

My I ask you One Accord If you typed that paragraph inspired by you own personal experiences in life?

Where your beliefs clouded by your own fleshly discernment?

Did you pray for true discernment and receive it?

If so what was the difference between your own feelings from your own fleshly discernment and the discernment that came from the Spirit?

Maybe this is an imposable question to answer but what is it that lets us know that what we discern comes from the Spirit?

I'm sorry One Accord if it seems like I'm interrogating you like a gestapo officer but this is an issue that really worries me heaps.

Blessings to you all.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

I think 1John2:27 gives some good direction on discernment:

"But the anointing which you have recieved of Him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in Him."

Also I like

• Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  572
  • Content Per Day:  0.07

Hi CWJ!   :hmmm:

Thank you CWJ for pointing out this very powerful thought provoking verse:

I think 1John2:27 gives some good direction on discernment:

"But the anointing which you have recieved of Him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in Him."

Only a couple of days ago I quote scripture that said that every Word of the Messiah is Spirit. But only now as I right this am I thinking deeply on what it actually means.

As I read scriptures I read again and again of peoples physical reactions upon being baptized with the holy Spirit by the original apostles. What troubled/troubles me is I never had this experience. But now as I right this reply I am thinking that this may have been an outer sign that the person had received the WORD through the Spirit, to give authority to the Words preached by the original Apostles among the non believing people witnessing the baptism? For this was before the WORD/SPIRIT was put down on paper in the scriptures from where you got that "very powerful thought provoking verse:" CJW.

So to my thinking, because we now have the WORD it is the Authority we no longer need a physical, miraculous occurrence to give Authority to men with the Spirit. To obtain the Spirit we must honestly study the WORD/Scriptures and have faith to place our Messiahs instructions and wisdom above our own human logic and desires.

I usually try to think out a letter before I right it and I have given others advice to do so but this has been such a, (I cannot find the words right now) thing that I just had to strike while the iron was hot, it has caused me to be a hypocrite lol Sorry all.

Adstar I follow your thought there. It seems the early apostles were endowed with special gifts of power from the Holy Spirit, which they could even pass on.

This was after the Pentecost, and the Spirit was moving in a mighty way to "get the ball rolling", I think.

Yes I believe we have the written Word delivered complete.....

as in Jude 3.

NOT to say that the gifts of the Spirit don't operate today....they do!

I just think we must prove all things by scripture, this IS our discernment verifier.

Study the occurances of the "baptism of the Holy Spirit" and see if they were previously saved, or, just then recieving

further gifts of the Spirit.

The scriptures that people take as proof of this occurance don't always state it as a "baptism", so I think a lot of inference goes on here.

Scripture shows only One baptism....1Cor 12:13

"For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews, or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free;  and have been made all to drink in one Spirit."

Jesus said by being re-born we can see the kingdom of heaven. By the proper belief we are re-born spiritually by this baptism, into the body of Christ.

We know Jesus baptises us with the Holy Spirit, just as we do an outward "show" of obedience by being baptised with water.

So, the instant one is saved, that instant one is "baptized" by the Holy Spirit.

NOT to say that if the Spirit chooses you may speak with tongues (scripturally), at that moment, this is for the unbelievers around right then.  As the Holy Spirit chooses you are gifted with whatever gift so deemed for you.

Blessings....Carl...OSAS :hmmm:

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  56
  • Topic Count:  1,664
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,764
  • Content Per Day:  2.39
  • Days Won:  28

Amen Carl :thumb:

I agree with your posts.

Biscuit how are you doing?

Know that I'm praying for you and your wife, God is faithful and He is still with both of you

Thank you CJW for your help. Much to ponder here.

• Topic Count:  147
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,587
  • Content Per Day:  0.20

I agree with CWJ entirely about discernment.

Excellent, OneAccord!

Let me give this verse, so short and yet says so much.......

James4:7..."Submit yourselves therefore to

God.