• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  543
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  10/15/1966

My 2 cents worth (possibly only worth a penny after taxes)....

I have a dear, dear sister in Christ who is Charasmatic. She and I have talked often about her experiences with the Holy Spirit. Bottom line for me, I know her faith is strong, and I know she is a beloved daughter of the King and worships Him in the way she feels He is most glorified. I think she is blessed by it, even if I have my own doubts about what she is experiencing. Even if I believe that it is an emotional reaction... what does it matter - I know she is filled with the Holy Spirit, so if her emotional reaction takes her to that level of intensity, I feel she is honoring and worshiping God.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  117
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  07/03/1986

Ok I got two more things before I go to bed.

1. Its funny that I haven't seen any scripture-backing in any responses

2. I also want to make it clear that I do not discriminate against anyone who practices this.My girlfriend has done it many times but she only goes up for the praying beforehand. I believe they can still be the most spiritual person ever. I just don't find it biblical and so far it seems we might be able to agree its not biblical.

Edited by matthew4:4

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  66
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,050
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Birthday:  09/09/1952

Interesting thread. I'm going to give my opinion on this and please understand that it is only an opinion.

"Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever." Hebrews 13:8

We see God - the Triune God - manifest Himself various ways in the Old Testament and in the New Testament. That means that the Holy Spirit was working in Abraham's life and in mine....God hasn't changed. But since the Cross people are filled with the Holy Spirit and His work did not end with the first centuary Church (as some people preach). But as I read through 1 Corinthians chapter 12 I see that all of the Gifts listed have a purpose - a way to edify the Church. There is the gift of a word of wisdom, the gift of a word of knowledge, the gift of working miracles, the gift of prophecy, and so on. Each of the gifts listed help people physically and spiritually. I just don't see "being slain in the spirit" listed and I can't think of what purpose it would serve. I can understand being so overcome by the Spirit that ones knees would buckle, but these guys who wave their hand and everyone falls down......well, it seems a little theatrical and contrived.

Just my opinion

<>< ><>

Nathele

"The Father loveth the Son, and hath given all things into his hand. He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him." John 3:35-36

:thumbsup:

People falling in the Bible was not a common thing. It was someone that happened on rare occasion within the presence of God Himself, NOT MEN.

:thumbsup:

Thank You Dear Brother

Well I Too Thought It Could Be Phooey

But After I Read Your Thoughts Here I See I Need To Rethink It

:24:

Scripturally You Are So Correct.

Men Will Fall Flat Upon Their Face When They Are In The Present Of God

The LORD And Brother John

And in the midst of the seven candlesticks one like unto the Son of man, clothed with a garment down to the foot, and girt about the paps with a golden girdle.

His head and his hairs were white like wool, as white as snow; and his eyes were as a flame of fire;

And his feet like unto fine brass, as if they burned in a furnace; and his voice as the sound of many waters.

And he had in his right hand seven stars: and out of his mouth went a sharp twoedged sword: and his countenance was as the sun shineth in his strength.

And when I saw him, I fell at his feet as dead. And he laid his right hand upon me, saying unto me, Fear not; I am the first and the last:

I am he that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death.

Revelation 1:13-18

So This Issue Was An Open And Closed Case Or So I Thought

Until I Remembered

The Holy Spirit IS GOD!

The Holy Ghost Can Fill Us With Joy Unspeakable

Wherefore be ye not unwise, but understanding what the will of the Lord is. And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit; Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord; Giving thanks always for all things unto God and the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ;
Ephesians 5:17-20

And Plant The Holy Bible Deep Within Our Hearts

Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee.
Psalms 119:11

He Can Even Shut Our Mouths

Be still, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the heathen, I will be exalted in the earth.
Psalms 46:10

And Turn Our Eyes Up

And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.
Luke 21:28

And Give Us Faith

For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
Ephesians 2:8

Even Belief

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
John 3:16

So?

:)

GOD IS GOOD

Thank You Abba Holy Father. I Love You

And Bless You My LORD, My God And My Savior. I Love You

And Fall Afresh Upon Me Oh Holy Spirit Of The Living God And Make Me A Servant Too. I Love You

Thank You For Answered Prayer

In Jesus Amen

Love, Joe

:)

Be Blessed Beloved Of The KING

The LORD bless thee, and keep thee:

The LORD make his face shine upon thee, and be gracious unto thee:

The LORD lift up his countenance upon thee, and give thee peace.

And they shall put my name upon the children of Israel; and I will bless them. Numbers 6:24-27

Love, Your Brother Joe

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  44
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,858
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Birthday:  05/23/1957

A new thing in a church..Oh me..Oh my.. I think your a new thing. This has been around forever. I'll get you scripture...Don't grive the Spirit of God and do not put Him in a box. Behold I do a new thing says the Lord. Is it fear talking? watch the improvement in people afterwards. It is likt the best anesthtic I know, it has no side affects, it leaves you at peace and the Spritual surgery that was unable to be done is done. I have heard of people leaving because God decides to do a new thing.

They liked it just the way it was. Their loss...patricia1

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  86
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  09/18/1966

Hi

We all have our place in the body, i can't complain that another part ian't doing the same as me. Not when we fit in at different spots. I know the devil will try to cause devision, and just as jesus told peter to feed his sheep and not worry about what he was haveing john do, but that which was his job. referance john 21: 15-25

In our walk some are eyes and some are ears, referance 2 corinthians 12:16-18. Some people when they look one one that has the holy spirit they are convicted, others when they here one speak that has the holy spirit. I have prayed about this and was shown in a dream that we are all one of the two, besides being an arm, or leg, ect. Only God can see our hearts, we at any given time don't know the condition of anothers heart, or what it takes to convict them of sins. There may be many that need to see only and be convicted, like doubting tomas.

Thoses that are eyes in the body may never talk much with anyone, or even think God is useing them, but someone sees and is convicted daily. Others who are the ears find themselves in converation with strangers, and before they even realize it themselves are witnessing the word. So how can the eye complain about the ear not fitting in properly in the spot reserved for the eye? The ear has his own spot. We think everyone should be the same or one of us is wrong, and we want to point to the other as being in the wrong. Maybe we should find out where we fit in, and do our best there, and let God correct the other member if he's in the wrong.

Much love in christ,

bridget

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  117
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  07/03/1986

A new thing in a church..Oh me..Oh my.. I think your a new thing. This has been around forever. I'll get you scripture...Don't grive the Spirit of God and do not put Him in a box. Behold I do a new thing says the Lord. Is it fear talking? watch the improvement in people afterwards. It is likt the best anesthtic I know, it has no side affects, it leaves you at peace and the Spritual surgery that was unable to be done is done. I have heard of people leaving because God decides to do a new thing.

They liked it just the way it was. Their loss...patricia1

It is a new thing, lol. Like I said since the 1800s. I'd love for you to find it somewhere before this. Also, I am not grieving the Spirit. Please don't say that. For me to say that I don't believe in this practice being performed, that is grieving the Spirit? Absolutely not. I believe the Holy Spirit has power to do whatever is within its will but thats the thing. Whatever is within its WILL. Can I not question something if I am unsure of its origins? God knows my intentions. He knows that my personal intentions are to find the true doctrine of Christ and nothing else but until He shows me that this practice is scriptural I don't see why I would accept it within my doctrine. So far I have seen that it is not scriptural but I'll be waiting and open to see what you can show me. My eyes are not closed to God's power. God bless! Your brother in Christ, matthew

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  375
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  11,400
  • Content Per Day:  1.44
  • Birthday:  08/14/1971

I think that we're operating on an assumption here that I do not believe is completely valid. That assumption is that if it's not in the Word, then it's not a valid manifestation of the Spirit. And if it is in the Word, then it should happen with the same frequency as happened in the Word and the way it happened in the Word. I don't believe either of these are valid assumptions. We're talking manifestations of the Spirit, as He wills. If He wills to do something in our generation that is different than what has happened before, then that's His choice and I hope to be part of it. And if He takes an uncommon (in the biblical record) manifestation of the Spirit and makes it common, that's fine too. Scripture certainly doesn't say that one should not fall down when they sense the presence of the Lord.

Concerning examples, if one refuses to accept positive examples as evidence, then one cannot validly use negative examples to prove anything either. To do so shows a predisposition to reject it as valid and not seriously consider it judiciously.

The problem with such an assertion is, one can claim manifestations, doctrine, practice or authority in the church outside th realm of Biblical foundation, and there is nothing to constrain him. I believe that God gave us the Bible purposefully as a guide to measure all things against, ot protect us from false doctrines, teachings, and practices.

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

The books of the Bible ends in the early stages of the Church Age. Not everything that the Holy Spirit has done, still does, or will do, will be found in the Bible. There have been many other books written that have been left out of the Cannon, for a good reason, yet, we can not prove or disprove them. Do not put the Holy Spirit in a box, but do not believe everything you hear. Allow the Holy Spirit to show you what is His and what is not.

OneLight

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  135
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,537
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/29/1956

The problem with such an assertion is, one can claim manifestations, doctrine, practice or authority in the church outside th realm of Biblical foundation, and there is nothing to constrain him. I believe that God gave us the Bible purposefully as a guide to measure all things against, ot protect us from false doctrines, teachings, and practices.

:whistling: Exactly Ovedya!