IGNORED

Mental Illness, why is it treated as a sin?

Vickilynn

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  119
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,316
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/01/1970

Can we judge all christians in this manner??

Why do people do it- Because they're stupid-I will be accountable for myself and no other in this matter-and as far as the true body of Christ-they don't walk in this manner. I don't either.

Please, could you consider edifying posts about Christians???

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  138
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  0.64

Why do people do it- Because they're stupid-I will be accountable for myself and no other in this matter-and as far as the true body of Christ-they don't walk in this manner. I don't either.

Shalom Candi,

Honey, WHAT are you talking about? :emot-bounce:

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  1,316
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Birthday:  07/01/1970

Shalom Candi,

Honey, WHAT are you talking about? :emot-bounce:

Not all Christians do these things--

Shalom Candi,

Honey, WHAT are you talking about? :whistling:

Not all Christians do these things--

Shalom Candi,

Then these questions don't apply to them. :emot-bounce:

But, SOME Christians do act this way and it's important to talk about why.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  24
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  3,292
  • Content Per Day:  0.52

Addictions are sin...OCD is an addiction, not a mental illness.

Shalom Axx,

How can you honestly say that?

This gal is not addicted, she is ill. She needs help. She cannot repent of what she has not willingly done. She no more can stop what she's doing than I could stop my cancer from killing my body. I am alive because G-d used medicine and drugs to help me. My OCD sister needs the same care.

Hey Vickilynn...

I can say that because I believe it to be the honest truth. There is a world of difference between cancer and OCD (or most other mental illnesses.) There is a world of difference in the use of medications in those instances too. There have been entire volumes written on the biological etiology (the causes or origins) of cancer. The same cannot be said of OCD. I am NOT against medication per se. I am against the psychiatric industries wholesale drugging of the American citizen inspite of a lack of ANY biological etiology to diagnose or study most mental illnesses.

What the psychiatric industry does is NOT intended to solve the problem, which in most cases is an addiction to habits or attitudes. They are changing the state of the mind, altering the mood, by the use of drugs that are highly addicitve. This does NOT solve the problem, it exacerbates the addiction. It is no small coincidence that BF Skinner was the psychiatrist who created the Skinner Box, and that the modern psychiatric model is based on that pattern of behavior modification. It is also no small coincidence that psychiatrists and the pharmaceutical industries are so intertwined that you cannot tell them apart.

Lastly...we ALL repent of things we don't willingly do. I was not "willingly" born into sin. I did not "willingly" become addicted to alcohol. Who knows how your friend became addicted, but most people don't start out by saying "Ya know, I'm gonna be addicited to this behavior." Its usually the result of many variable factors and those factors can be made better or worse as time goes on. Psychiatry, in almost every case, makes the factors worse by the use of addictive and mood-altering drugs. It is a secular solution to a spiritual issue.

• Topic Count:  135
  • Content Count:  7,537
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/29/1956

Daniel 4:18http://' target="_blank">"Let his portion be with the beasts in the grass of the earth: Let his heart be changed from man

Hey Vickilynn...

I can say that because I believe it to be the honest truth.

Shalom Axx,

No, I have to disagree with you there. It is not the truth, at least how I see it and have experienced it.

I am NOT against medication per se. I am against the psychiatric industries wholesale drugging of the American citizen inspite of a lack of ANY biological etiology to diagnose or study most mental illnesses.

Hey Axx, this is not a soapbox for rants against the psychiatric practitioners, OK? Please, let's stick to the topic at hand.

Lastly...we ALL repent of things we don't willingly do. [/q I was not "willingly" born into sin. I did not "willingly" become addicted to alcohol. Who knows how your friend became addicted, but most people don't start out by saying "Ya know, I'm gonna be addicited to this behavior."

Actually, her illness is not an addiction. And yes, you had a CHOICE to drink alcohol. This gal does not choose to be ill and she cannot repent of what she does not choose to do. She can repent for any sin, but this illness is not sin. This is the whole point of this thread.

• Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  662
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Birthday:  02/01/1960

Vickilynn~from what I gather about this tread is that the only posting you want are those that agree with your stance??? Those who you consider mentally unstable need only sympathy and medication???

Axxman and I both have given our opinion on the TOPIC and you accuse of of being OFF topic!

Certain "mental illnesses" are not untreatable with the right method of healing and treating the WHOLE person..

I stand on that...

Blessings,

Karen

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  24
  • Content Count:  3,292
  • Content Per Day:  0.52

Hey Axx, this is not a soapbox for rants against the psychiatric practitioners, OK? Please, let's stick to the topic at hand.

If psychiatric practitioners are not part of the "topic" concerning mental illness...then you understand less about mental illness than you think.

And yes, you had a CHOICE to drink alcohol.

Really? I did? Not according to you and your mental illness theory. According to the American Psychiatric Assoc. I had a mental illness. Of course, thats hogwash. I didn't have a mental illness, I had an addiction and the cure was repentance. I praise God that I had a strong man of faith in my life that pointed me to Gods solution rather than man's.

BTW...the highly addictive drugs chlordiazepoxide, propranolol, clonidine or diazapam are often given to alcoholics to assist in the recovery of this so-called mental illness. These mostly possess sedative, hypnotic, and muscle relaxant properties to alter the mood and make a person feel better...not to cure alcoholism.

Guest LadyJane

Matthew 9:

10 While Jesus was having dinner at Matthew's house, many tax collectors and "sinners" came and ate with him and his disciples. 11 When the Pharisees saw this, they asked his disciples, "Why does your teacher eat with tax collectors and 'sinners'?"

12 On hearing this, Jesus said, "It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. 13 But go and learn what this means: 'I desire mercy, not sacrifice.'[a] For I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners."

First, let me say that I do not consider mental illness a sin, but a sickness. We are ALL sinners and without Jesus we would perish!

My son is 28-years-old and mentally ill. He accepted Jesus into his heart at the tender age of 3. He loves the Lord.

He admits, at times, that something is "wrong" with him, yet rarely admits to being mentally disabled. He chooses to believe that he has an "anger problem and anxiety". It has taken years for him to even consider taking medication. Just recently, he decided to try meds. This is good, yet he will go from one brand of medication to another because he reads the side effects and they scare him. (They scare me too!)

My son is capable of rage, disrespect, vulgarity, etc. Yet, he is also tender-hearted, generous, sensitive, and loving. When he goes to church, his love and respect for the Lord are very evident. I pray for healing. I pray for help. It is not easy to get help for the mentally ill. Not even from professionals.

I ask you not to condemn the mentally ill, but pray for them. Their lives are tortured from one moment to the next. They need compassion. They need people who are Christ-Like to pray for them, not judge them.