txpaleo

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  25
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

I'm going to write out a description of an animal based on the Biblical description but I'm going to leave out the name. However I'm sure many of you will recognize the passage. Give your thoughts on what you think it is and don't give me what the Bible may tell you it is. Base your thoughts on the description only. K..here it goes.

....I made along with you and which feeds on grass like an ox. What strength he has in his loins, what power in the muscles of his belly! His tail sways like a cedar; the sinews of his thighs are close-knit. His bones are tubes of bronze, his limbs like rods of iron. He ranks first among the workds of God, yet his Maker can approach him with his sword. .............when the river rages he is not alarmed; he is secure, though the Jordan should surge against his mouth.

Give your thoughts what you think they are talking about here. I'll be interested in your responses.

God Bless

Steve Baird

www.bairdclan.com

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,798
  • Content Per Day:  6.19
  • Days Won:  58

Whenever I read this passage in Job, I think of a brachiosaur (brontosaurus). Although according to modern paleontology brachiosaurs did not eat grass, the Lord made everything within a few days, and they would just as easily eat grass as anything else. One species of brachiosaur is the largest dinosaur known, either ultrasaurus or supersaurus (I cant remember which of the recent discoveries is the largest). Early on in my Christian life, when I still beleived in evolution, I tried hard to see this as an elephant, or anything else, but I cant.

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  872
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Birthday:  03/24/1981

Only one tiny problem with this interpretation. Brachiosaurs, that is any member or relative of the dinosaur genus Brachiosaurus, lived 150 million to 130 million years ago from the Late Jurassic to the Early Cretaceous Period, about 129 million years before man ever even reached the river Jordan.

Indeed, this is before Jordan (or its rivers) ever even existed. Here is a map of the world at the time:

http://www.scotese.com/late1.htm

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,254
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

Only one tiny problem with this interpretation. Brachiosaurs, that is any member or relative of the dinosaur genus Brachiosaurus, lived 150 million to 130 million years ago from the Late Jurassic to the Early Cretaceous Period, about 129 million years before man ever even reached the river Jordan.

Indeed, this is before Jordan (or its rivers) ever even existed. Here is a map of the world at the time:

http://www.scotese.com/late1.htm

ScientificAtheist you havd a point, however your point uses a different form of faith than we use as christians. Very fiew if any scientific theories that we have slowly considered fact, are.

To get to the understanding that they lived 130 million years ago you have to take by faith that time (speed of light) is constant. People are working on this now and it is not definate that the speed of light (or time flow) has been constant. Some believe that time is slowing down. A lot of hard science is not so hard these days. We'll just have to wait and see how things work out.

• Content Count:  588
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Birthday:  03/06/1967

In one of the many bible versions i've got it says its head is as tall as a mature tree...i'll go along with a herbivour dino of somesort

• Content Count:  872
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Birthday:  03/24/1981

To get to the understanding that they lived 130 million years ago you have to take by faith that time (speed of light) is constant.

How so? Firstly, we have measured the speed of light to be invariant and isotropic (the same everywhere and in any frame). Secondly the speed of light has not varied one iota since we first measured it. I have heard theories that it may have been different in the past (by past, I mean 13 billion years, at the time of the big bang, not 6,000), and changed as the universe expanded, however, that would not explain the fact that we have rocks and fossils in those rocks dating back 4.2 billion years (3.7 for rocks with fossils) - nor would it explain that the fossils we find on earth are in chronological order.

In other words, the simplest explanation for the evidence we find is not that time has relativistically shifted significantly in earth's past, but rather that the earth is actually 5 billion years old, and that life is actually 3.7 billion years old.

Also, just in case you bring it up, decay rates have not changed significantly either, and do not vary significantly under extreme pressure and temperature.

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,254
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

Hippopotamus

A really big one......

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  439
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  7,315
  • Content Per Day:  0.93

He ranks first among the workds of God, yet his Maker can approach him with his sword. .............when the river rages he is not alarmed; he is secure, though the Jordan should surge against his mouth.

Could we be talking about 2 separate animals. I figured this description describes the alligator or croc.

Guest LCPGUY
Could we be talking about 2 separate animals. I figured this description describes the alligator or croc.

Yup! But a very big one :x:

John