IGNORED

Is restoration to ministry possible for adulterous pastor?

Ddavid from NC

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  196
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,343
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  12/03/1964

It happens alot. The pastor has an adulterous affair. While we know it is forgiveable. Have they permanently disqualified themselves as a pastor of that particular church or any future position in another church?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  366
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,933
  • Content Per Day:  1.57

It happens alot. The pastor has an adulterous affair. While we know it is forgiveable. Have they permanently disqualified themselves as a pastor of that particular church or any future position in another church?

Does scripture indicate that they have?

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  105
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

i would say they can be restored, but the root cause of it all must be dealt with, and that isn't easy. there aren't even that many people who really know how to minister to this situation.

Does scripture indicate that they have?

Eric are you suggesting by the brevity of your answer to remain silent where Scripture is silent?

Let the elders that rule well be counted worthy of double honour, especially they who labour in the word and doctrine.For the scripture saith, Thou shalt not muzzle the ox that treadeth out the corn. And, The labourer is worthy of his reward.Against an elder receive not an accusation, but before two or three witnesses. Them that sin rebuke before all, that others also may fear.I charge thee before God, and the Lord Jesus Christ, and the elect angels, that thou observe these things without preferring one before another, doing nothing by partiality. Lay hands suddenly on no man, neither be partaker of other men

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  49
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  812
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Birthday:  06/15/1961

There is no reason a pastor can't be restored just as much as the person sitting in the pew.

What does scripture say?

What are your thoughts on this?

There is no reason a pastor can't be restored just as much as the person sitting in the pew.

What does scripture say?

How important is the testimony to the outside world? Even if the pastor can regain the confidence of his people, they have damaged the testimony of the congregation in the eyes of the community.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  80
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  06/05/1952

What does scripture say?

How important is the testimony to the outside world? Even if the pastor can regain the confidence of his people, they have damaged the testimony of the congregation in the eyes of the community.

I think the pastor has disqulified himself as a leader of the flock.

Willow99

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  232
  • Content Count:  7,261
  • Content Per Day:  0.96
  • Birthday:  12/19/1959

Pastor? They should never be allowed to fill that position again in any church...and I back that up with Paul's instructions to Timothy as I understand them.

BUT can he serve in some other form of ministry? Absolutely...and he must. In a sense, we are ALL called to serve in one way or another. Ministry as defined "to give service, care, or aid; attend, as to wants or necessities" of others. They can teach; work with the homeless or those who are incarcerated; pray with sick patients in hospitals; even evangelize; and so on.

Pastors, people responsible for the spiritual care of a number of persons, are to be above reproach and of good character. It is a special calling that commands respect and trust. They are leaders and the ONLY way to lead properly is by example. Although I do not believe they are to be "revered" nor are they to be followed without question, they are to be held in the highest esteem by those God places in their charge. It is a position with a big responsibility and too many of them today do not respect the office like they should.

...but that's a whole 'nuther discussion.

Just my thoughts...

wayne

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

I agree with Wayne. I can not see any person trying to step back into that position without doing so in pride. They have been convicted by the Holy Spirit of their sin and already know what the Scriptures say about the matter. Myself, I would never try and seek that office again. As said, there is a lot of other works that they can do, but not to shepherd the flock.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Like Paul told Timothy (as was stated above):

"For if a man know not how to rule his own house, how shall he take care of the church of God?"

I agree that such sins should disqualify one from ministering ever again - after he repents and deals with whatever got him in trouble in the first place - but not as a pastor.