• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  113
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  01/17/1964

I have been involved in a church for the past few months. It's not a big church, but it is usually filled with many people. Yet, when I sought to become a member, I found that their beliefs are very lax according to His Word. They allow certain things to go on that are spoken against in the Bible. Until I found out what they foundations were, I felt at home ... now I must admit, I'm bummed. There are a lot of other churches around, but all that I have visited seemed dead ...

OneLight

Hi OneLight, maybe you are to continue to go to this church to teach rather than be taught. If you feel God is leading you there than He must have his reasons for you to feel the life that you feel instead of the deadness that you feel in the other churches. Trust Him and only Him and His ways and lean not on your own understanding.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  95
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,315
  • Content Per Day:  0.30

Notwithstanding what some of the geniuses have posted, if you want to be an obedient believer, you need to find a good, Bible-based church. That can't be that hard, although if you are looking for the "perfect" church, you'll be disappointed. Pray, seek the LORD, not a church, and in your simple faith and obedience, you will find one.

Delight yourself in the LORD

and he will give you the desires of your heart. (Ps. 37:4 NIV)

In that case, the problem isnt that its hard. its just taking too long! in my case at least.....

In that case, the problem isnt that its hard. its just taking too long! in my case at least.....

I understand how you feel, peaches! :emot-pray:

I'm looking for a church myself, and its really frustrating because all the ones in my area that sound interesting are too far away for me to get to. There's churches on many street corners, but its hard when you're stuck on the bus or a mountain bike. The church I've been going to for awhile now isn't "dead," but something is lacking. Some of the churches I've visited -- well let's just say I've seen livelier graveyards. So, I'll keep praying and looking.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  5,258
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  07/22/1960

I would start with what they believe and how that lines up with scripture. Once you have that done you can then start to search based on the congregation. But really check into their statement of faith, talk to the pastor, ask some specific questions about their beliefs. Never take communion with a congregation until you know exactly what they believe and know that you are in total agreement with them.

Every congregation is slightly different. I would be very wary of a congregation that is driven by the pastor and not vice versa. I would also be very careful of congregations which do not have strong roots and have not been around for some time in a consistent way (although this obviously is not a total test).

Once those things are done are you a fit for the congregation? What I mean is that even with very good doctrine you may want a Church with a bunch of kids and families, or you may want a church with many singles and so forth depending on where and how God is calling you and where you feel comfortable and happy. Church should not be something you dread.

you need to find a good, Bible-based church.

This a little off topic but I was thinking...

If you were a brand new believer, how would you know if the church you attend is bible-based or not? If you're new to the whole God thing, how do know who's twisting scripture and who's not? Anyone can read a bible...it doesn't mean he knows what he's talking about.

Take a look at some of the mega-churches out there. Are they all bible-based? They all read out of the bible so they must be bible-based, right?

How can a new convert tell who's lying and who's not? How does he know the difference? We told him to find a church where they preach out of the bible and that's what he did. But is he being taught by someone who knows what they're talking about?

People come here for guidance and we send them on a blind journey. Find yourself a church where they teach from the bible we tell'em. A good bible-based church.

We are forever talking about false teachers, false prophets, false doctrines, and all we can tell these new believers is find a church that teaches from the bible.

Is that the best we can do? Push these new children of God off on someone else? When we respond to their pleas for help, aren't we accountable for what happens to them? If we tell them to go find a church that teaches from the bible and they do that and end up in a pit full of vipers, aren't we accountable?

I think we are. You may not believe that... but I do. If you told a child to go play in the street and they get hit by a car, who's fault is it?

I know this is a little of topic but it's been really bugging me for some time now.

And please understand that I am in no way looking down on anyone here. We all practice what we were taught. I was never taught about church...I don't go to church and I would never send anyone to one of those institutions. I don't believe the physical church serves a purpose...but that's just me...those are my beliefs. I do believe the church does some good in the area of gathering believers together...but as far as teachings are concerned...who do you believe?

Acts 7:48 However, the Most High does not dwell in temples made with hands,

I truly believe that statement. God dwells in the hearts of those who invite Him.You don't need to go to a building in order to find God.

if you are looking for the "perfect" church, you'll be disappointed.

Isn't the Word of God perfect?

Why would anyone settle for anything less?

That's all I have to say about that for right now.

Thank you for listening.

And Marnie...this wasn't an attack on you, so please don't take it that way. I went looking for other quotes that said basically the same thing but your's were right there so I used them.

Again, thank you for your time.

Peace.

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.22
  • Days Won:  115

Man, you bring up a good point that we all should consider. I never thought about what you presented fully. I think I might of felt that they would contact someone they know who is really following Christ for guidance, never giving thought that they may not know anyone that fits this description. Thanks for bring this up.

My problem, and it really is not a problem, is that I do know what Gods words says and can not find a Church that follow His word, worships Him for Who He is with their whole hearts and is active, as in Matthew 25, reaching out to others. The churches around here seem to have just one or two of these, but not all. I am leaving my current church because it has twisted His word, and ignored parts of His word, so everyone will feel happy and loved. Their worship time would never show this, and they are very active in local and world wide mission, but follow false teachings. I stayed as long as I have hoping that this was not so, but God has shown me that it is.

If you know Gods word, it is hard in my area to find a church.

Man, you bring up a good point that we all should consider. I never thought about what you presented fully. I think I might of felt that they would contact someone they know who is really following Christ for guidance, never giving thought that they may not know anyone that fits this description. Thanks for bring this up.

My problem, and it really is not a problem, is that I do know what Gods words says and can not find a Church that follow His word, worships Him for Who He is with their whole hearts and is active, as in Matthew 25, reaching out to others. The churches around here seem to have just one or two of these, but not all. I am leaving my current church because it has twisted His word, and ignored parts of His word, so everyone will feel happy and loved. Their worship time would never show this, and they are very active in local and world wide mission, but follow false teachings. I stayed as long as I have hoping that this was not so, but God has shown me that it is.

That's the reason I don't attend church. I tried, I really did, but never felt at home in any of the ones I attended.

I've gotten to the point in my own personal studies where I can just look at the building ( inside and out ) and tell you whether they teach the truth or not. I know that sounds so arrogant, but it's what I've learned through the Word.

There's only one teacher and that's Christ, and He's the only One I trust to show me the Way. I won't put my eternity in the hands of anyone else.

I'm not saying everyone should jump ship and do as I do ( I would never do that ) because everyone has their own walk. Not all paths are the same. The final destination is to be in the presence of God, it's just how we get there that's different.

That's how I see things.

Peace.

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.22
  • Days Won:  115

That's the reason I don't attend church. I tried, I really did, but never felt at home in any of the ones I attended.

I've gotten to the point in my own personal studies where I can just look at the building ( inside and out ) and tell you whether they teach the truth or not. I know that sounds so arrogant, but it's what I've learned through the Word.

There's only one teacher and that's Christ, and He's the only One I trust to show me the Way. I won't put my eternity in the hands of anyone else.

I'm not saying everyone should jump ship and do as I do ( I would never do that ) because everyone has their own walk. Not all paths are the same. The final destination is to be in the presence of God, it's just how we get there that's different.

That's how I see things.

Peace.

I understand how you feel, but for me not to find a group would mean that I can not give to them what God has for me to give. We all have something to give, and for the church I am now leaving, God has me giving them the truth of their false doctrines. In no way do I see myself arrogant, for I am usually the church mouse who has a hard time talking to others. It is by His strength that I am able to do this. The last church I attended for some time, when I left, I explained to them that they were so cold that I felt no love. It was a very hard thing for me to do, but because of this, I hear that change has started to happen.

It is in my heart to get to know all the churches in my area, but it would be nice to have a home, a group where God comes first.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  940
  • Content Per Day:  0.16

It was a very hard thing for me to do, but because of this, I hear that change has started to happen.

Thank you for sharing that OneLight, that is what I needed to hear...

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  940
  • Content Per Day:  0.16

you need to find a good, Bible-based church.

If you were a brand new believer...

Well said Man. Well written and well thought out, thank you.