buckthesystem

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  95
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,315
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Days Won:  0

LOL! what does it mean to be PC? I think i like the sound of it though. In ur face everyone ..... I am soooooo PC!

again I ask, uncivilized by whose standard?

PC = politically correct.

Uncivilized = hanging a man and woman from a tree for "sorcery" just because their neighbor died.

ha! My guess was that it meant Presidents Choice.

maybe if I italicize and bold it, someone might answer. Uncivilized by whose standards?

I kinda wonder how a post mortem would show or dismiss sorcery???

This whole story is full of wierd stuff....makes me wonder if it's even remotely accurate.

Hmmm, to answer your first question .... how much time do you have?

and yes, this story seems accurate to the practices of some folks in PNG. If you think this is "weird", wait till you find out about their other rituals concerning passing into adulthood. highly highly fascinating!

but i guess thats the problem with these kinds of news articles, they just grab a snippet of an otherwise highly complex societal structure that its hard for an average reader who knows nothing about the society to comprehend exactly whats going on. meh, the shock factor is the intended effect i guess :th_praying:

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.09
  • Days Won:  78

one really has to understand cultures in THEIR OWN CONTEXT before brandishing the "civilized" sword. civilized by whose standards?

How PC can you get? I never thought I'd hear the "it is their culture, we must respect cultural differences" argument on these boards.

Clearly it is uncivilised to kidnap people, accuse them of something as ludicrous as "sorcery", hang them from a tree, not even caring that one of them is pregnant and that this action brings on a premature birth.

If this happened in America, I would like to think that there would be an outcry.

If you really believe that "culture" makes this OK, maybe you need to stop reading so many "trendy leftie" articles.

There is nothing that could make this act 'okay'; not culture, not religion, not geographical location....not anything! I realize that there are still areas of the world where Jesus isn't known but it's hard to find any country where murder is sanctioned...at least publicly. I pray for heathens such as these but their ignorance makes them no less evil. :th_praying:

Guest Biblicist
LOL! what does it mean to be PC? I think i like the sound of it though. In ur face everyone ..... I am soooooo PC!

Uncivilized = hanging a man and woman from a tree for "sorcery" just because their neighbor died.

maybe if I italicize and bold it, someone might answer. Uncivilized by whose standards?

What? You don't like my answer? :thumbsup:

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  164
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

This whole story is full of wierd stuff....makes me wonder if it's even remotely accurate.

and yes, this story seems accurate to the practices of some folks in PNG. If you think this is "weird", wait till you find out about their other rituals concerning passing into adulthood. highly highly fascinating!

but i guess thats the problem with these kinds of news articles, they just grab a snippet of an otherwise highly complex societal structure that its hard for an average reader who knows nothing about the society to comprehend exactly whats going on. meh, the shock factor is the intended effect i guess :thumbsup:

Just because a culture happens to practice its beliefs does not mean those actions are justified.

Certain cultures believe burying a woman three-fourths the way down in dirt and then stoning them to death is a civilized way to "punish" her. Should we excuse it simply because they obviously have very little standards?

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  144
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  4,512
  • Content Per Day:  0.68
  • Days Won:  10
  • Birthday:  10/07/1979

one really has to understand cultures in THEIR OWN CONTEXT before brandishing the "civilized" sword. civilized by whose standards?

Moral relativism is what your are trying to discuss. So, have a philosphical debate while you are safe in Ontario, while innocent men, women and children are being unjustly murdered and imprisoned worldwide.

If you are a Christian, then you should be familiar with the Bible. Jesus taught us everything we need to know about being civilized to each other. That's the gold standard, God's standard.

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  128
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,704
  • Content Per Day:  0.44
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  10/08/1950

but i guess thats the problem with these kinds of news articles, they just grab a snippet of an otherwise highly complex societal structure that its hard for an average reader who knows nothing about the society to comprehend exactly whats going on. meh, the shock factor is the intended effect i guess ;)

forensics are very fasinating...I got plenty of time.

As for the weird stuff...I was reffering to the fact that the folks conducting the hangng were a bunch of rookies. If I remember correctly, the husband stated the ropes were put around their necks and they were hung from the tree...only to have the knots slip which gave them their escape...in the mean time the women has a baby and then lives 2 weeks in the woods or jungle hiding with a new born...when I try to piece this all together allot of it just doesn't jive.

just for starters..most folks conducting a hanging sort of stick around and watch.....string em up and run??? drive by hanging??? Did she deliver while hanging or after the knot slipped...I mean think about it...hesitate to go into detail here.

Anyway...very glad both parents and child are alive...I just think the true facts were embelished a bit.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  196
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,343
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  12/03/1964

"Mommy, can you tell me the story again about how I was born?"

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  1,858
  • Birthday:  05/23/1957

;):emot-hug::emot-hug: hahahahah hehehehe hahaha David...you got me laughing in stitches here...hahah heheh oh oh here come the tearrs rolling and now my sides hurt, gott go..I will return... haha hehehe LOL a whhole lot here :emot-hug:

What? You don't like my answer? ;)

You responded but u didnt really answer my question. I wasnt asking for a definition or an example. You can go ahead and re-read my question :emot-hug:

Just because a culture happens to practice its beliefs does not mean those actions are justified.

Certain cultures believe burying a woman three-fourths the way down in dirt and then stoning them to death is a civilized way to "punish" her. Should we excuse it simply because they obviously have very little standards?

well, thats why I brought in the question of standard (relativism). If you dont understand the entire social structure, of course you are gonna think their actions are not justified.

I can also dare to say that those people who make pregnant women wear orange jumpsuits and lock em up in tiny cells and control their every move have very little standards and such behavior should not be excused. as glory2000 would say, "we should pray for heathens such as these but their ignorance makes them no less evil."