• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  135
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,537
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/29/1956

Dr. Tony Evans said in a sermon series a few years ago, "There are 2 types of Christians...soul winners and backsliders". He goes on to expound they we were saved unto good works. we not saved merely for ourselves, but also for who we might impact for him. Does this statement create an argument in your mind to disqualify it a dogmatic preaching or does it convict you of what you are called to be doing on a constant basis?

This statement would exclude that mighty prayer worriers who are in total silence to the world but have pure access to God through prayer. They are interceding for the millions who are in trouble. They are not the ones who are out seeking the lost in public, but the quiet person who never speaks.

The one thing I don't like about his argument, which has been mentioned, is that Dr Evans places everyone in one of two categories, totally eliminating the new brother or sister that has just come to the Lord. What about the sick who are in the hospitals or those in jail. We also have homeless who are saved that nobody would even give a second of their time to.

No, his statement does not convict me, but upsets me. To think that a person with his stature would condemn many who are not able to be "soul winners" to "backsliders" is not from His Spirit, but from Dr. Evans own convictions and mind set.

This is my first impression of the OP, admitting that, like scripture, it may be just a few world taken out of context to gain an argument. I have never heard of Dr. Evans before this post.

Edited for spelling as always ...

:24: Excellent OneLight!

As for Dr. Evans statement............Heres your nice little box with a label...........and heres your nice little box with a label, he takes a varied and eclectic mix of people, and tries to make them either this or that, and nothing more.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  31
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  862
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Days Won:  0

Dr. Tony Evans said in a sermon series a few years ago, "There are 2 types of Christians...soul winners and backsliders". He goes on to expound they we were saved unto good works. we not saved merely for ourselves, but also for who we might impact for him. Does this statement create an argument in your mind to disqualify it a dogmatic preaching or does it convict you of what you are called to be doing on a constant basis?

This statement would exclude that mighty prayer worriers who are in total silence to the world but have pure access to God through prayer. They are interceding for the millions who are in trouble. They are not the ones who are out seeking the lost in public, but the quiet person who never speaks.

The one thing I don't like about his argument, which has been mentioned, is that Dr Evans places everyone in one of two categories, totally eliminating the new brother or sister that has just come to the Lord. What about the sick who are in the hospitals or those in jail. We also have homeless who are saved that nobody would even give a second of their time to.

Excellent points OneLight, I think we all know people who fit into the areas you speak of and are vital to the body.

Heres your nice little box with a label...........and heres your nice little box with a label, he takes a varied and eclectic mix of people, and tries to make them either this or that, and nothing more.

I love the word eclectic, it is a word full of colour, diversity and passion in my minds eye, taking amazing elements to compliment each other. Well said.

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Topic Count:  50
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,073
  • Content Per Day:  0.52
  • Birthday:  08/10/1923

I agree with you, too GymRose, and nice to have back again btw. the only two types of christians I know of are the two of different genders. :thumbsup:

Hey Ya Eric :thumbsup::noidea::noidea: That is classic :blink::blink::noidea:

Thanks for the welcome back. It's nice to be back here.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  113
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  01/17/1964

There are more than 2 types of Christians. There are also double minded christians who are neighter hot nor cold! :thumbsup:

...and they (the double minded) should expect nothing.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  297
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  5,586
  • Content Per Day:  0.69
  • Days Won:  1

How many? I'd say 4. And I'd say the 4th produces a crop.

Matthew 13:18 "Listen then to what the parable of the sower means: 19 When anyone hears the message about the kingdom and does not understand it, the evil one comes and snatches away what was sown in his heart. This is the seed sown along the path. 20 The one who received the seed that fell on rocky places is the man who hears the word and at once receives it with joy. 21 But since he has no root, he lasts only a short time. When trouble or persecution comes because of the word, he quickly falls away. 22 The one who received the seed that fell among the thorns is the man who hears the word, but the worries of this life and the deceitfulness of wealth choke it, making it unfruitful. 23 But the one who received the seed that fell on good soil is the man who hears the word and understands it. He produces a crop, yielding a hundred, sixty or thirty times what was sown."

:whistling:

In His Love,

Suzanne

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  46
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  07/16/1955

How many? I'd say 4. And I'd say the 4th produces a crop.

Matthew 13:18 "Listen then to what the parable of the sower means: 19 When anyone hears the message about the kingdom and does not understand it, the evil one comes and snatches away what was sown in his heart. This is the seed sown along the path. 20 The one who received the seed that fell on rocky places is the man who hears the word and at once receives it with joy. 21 But since he has no root, he lasts only a short time. When trouble or persecution comes because of the word, he quickly falls away. 22 The one who received the seed that fell among the thorns is the man who hears the word, but the worries of this life and the deceitfulness of wealth choke it, making it unfruitful. 23 But the one who received the seed that fell on good soil is the man who hears the word and understands it. He produces a crop, yielding a hundred, sixty or thirty times what was sown."

:thumbsup:

In His Love,

Suzanne

Excellent point Suzanne :whistling:

Blessings,

Mr T