IGNORED

How do you celebrate Easter?

Mamato3

Guest Ben Maulis

You wrote that Easter is "such a holy time." I know that God is holy, but I'm not sure about a time or times being holy. "Easter" is not a holy day ordained by God in his word. We may regard the Passover holy. Nevertheless, we read:

"One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day [alike]. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind. He that regardeth the day, regardeth [it] unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard [it]. He that eateth, eateth to the Lord, for he giveth God thanks; and he that eateth not, to the Lord he eateth not, and giveth God thanks. " Romans 14:5-6

God won't condemn you for playing hide and seek games with your kids, or coloring eggs, but what does it profit them? If there is any profit in it, it should also be profitable for the one who esteems every day alike as long as he does so unto the Lord. I used to play hide and seek games with my neighbors in California Elvis and Julie (11 and 9). I hid red plastic cups all over the yard and they would search for them. There was nothing in them, but it didn't stop them from wanting to play the game over and over again. I remember the way Julie practically had a seizure of delight after finding a difficult one after a long search. It would have never occurred to any of us that it wasn't Easter time. We did lots of things together and those kids both knew that everything I did was with the love of Jesus. Elvis was baptised that year when we went to the beach (that was one of your other questions. Besides the beach I've also been a part of baptisms at lakes, and I was baptised in a carnival-type dunk tank because it had plenty of water.)

I have two of my own this year, but I am not going to try to teach them something about Jesus from the tradition of men. I love the local church but for unrelated reasons we might not go to an Easter service this year. I'm not concerned about that because my children do not need me or any other man to be a mediator between them and God, only Christ.

My oldest is just one, so I probably won't yet have a long talk with him from the book of Exodus, expounding unto him the things that were written concerning Jesus. I will nurture and admonish him with love, but at his age one of the most vital things I can do for him is to love his mommy the way Christ loves the church. He can understand that perfectly and he will not forget it.

Since Jesus himself chose Moses and the prophets to expound unto the disciples on the road to Emmaus after his resurrection the things that were written concerning him that Christ ought to have suffered these things, and to enter into his glory, I would suggest doing the same with children who are able to understand. After all, these things happened unto them for ensamples: and they are written for our admonition. Keep the passover with the understanding that it is a schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ.

"And ye shall observe [the feast of] unleavened bread.... Ye shall eat nothing leavened; in all your habitations shall ye eat unleavened bread.... Draw out and take you a lamb according to your families, and kill the passover.... And it shall come to pass, when your children shall say unto you, What mean ye by this service? That ye shall say, It [is] the sacrifice of the LORD'S passover...." from Exodus 12

"Purge out therefore the old leaven, that ye may be a new lump, as ye are unleavened. For even Christ our passover is sacrificed for us: Therefore let us keep the feast, not with old leaven, neither with the leaven of malice and wickedness; but with the unleavened [bread] of sincerity and truth." 1 Cr. 5:7-8

Hi everyone -

I was wondering how you celebrate Easter. It is such a holy time and I have always tried to avoid the whole colored eggs and easter bunny thing with my kids for the sake of keeping it holy. BUT I can only only avoid it so much having young kids. I have never done the colored agg thing as an adult since I just don't particularly like hard boiled eggs (although some are really pretty!) and have always gotten the kids small baskets with some candy and trinkets.

It means more to me this year than ever to teach my kids the true meaning of what Good Friday and Easter are really about. I feel so guilty for given into the hype of the easter bunny. Tell me I am not the only one who does this!!!

*Should this be in the parents forum? If so, feel free to move it!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  138
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  0.64
  • Days Won:  0

This is my point - where do the bunny and eggs even come from?

Shalom Mama,

Well, to be honest, I'd rather not even go there 'cuz that's where the arguments come in, but my point is that neither bunnies or eggs are in the Bible relating to the Resurrection of Jesus, so we don't include bunnies or eggs in our celebration of His rising. There is nothing wrong with them, but, we don't believe they belong in the celebration of a very holy Biblical event that changed history forever. We believe that bunnies and eggs are better saved for other days.

That said, we like to use the visual aids that show the Biblical truth about Jesus rising from the dead and the cookies and rolls are wonderful, fun, easy and tasty ways to explain what happened and the children REALLY see through the visuals. My kids loved doing the cookie thing and they loved the story along with it!

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  179
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,941
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Birthday:  10/08/1964

Okay, let me see if I got this right.

Santa clause and halloween= evil

Easter bunny and colored eggs= good

Uh, okay, got it

:(

Uh, okay, got it

:(

No, easter bunnies and colored eggs = evil

Christian eggs, cookies and rolls = good

Uh, okay, got it

:huh:

"Christian eggs"?

Is that like handing out Bible tracts on halloween?

Uh, okay, got it

"Christian eggs"?

Is that like handing out Bible tracts on halloween?

:whistling:

Turning something unChristian into something Christian.

Colored eggs are unChristian in origin so turning them into Christian eggs. is okay.

Just like handing out Bible tracts at halloween to make an unChristian celebration into something Christian.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  700
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Birthday:  12/11/1977

cress....sorry but here it is easy to get them in almost any shop that sells seeds or bulbs etc and they are VERY cheap

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

To answer your question ... in humility.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  53
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  523
  • Content Per Day:  0.07

Turning something unChristian into something Christian.

Colored eggs are unChristian in origin so turning them into Christian eggs. is okay.

Just like handing out Bible tracts at halloween to make an unChristian celebration into something Christian.

God made the chicken and the egg that it laid... man made the symbolism so Hershey could get paid.