IGNORED

Jesus, why no concern for the herd of pigs?

Ddavid from NC

The whole account shows Jesus conquering Baal with each turn of events. For example, Baal is considered god of the weather, yet Jesus calmed the storm on the way over. According to this source, pigs were used for Baal worship, like sheep were used for worship to the Lord. Thus, permitting the demons to go into the pigs and the pigs killing themselves was another sign to the people that He was greater than Baal.

This, then, was the reason the people cried out to Jesus to leave - He was beating up their god. :laugh:

Baal isn't mentioned before or after this episode. Could it be that the sign was meant for us and not the people involved?

Did the people even know it was Christ who did these things? From what is written, the demons were the only ones who recognized Him.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  52
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  06/17/1953

Jesus would never be considered "politically correct". But, was He not concerned for the 2,000 pigs that he cast the demons into that committed suicide?

I really do not understand where you get the number 2000? {maybe it is correct,} But anyway still trying to stand by your origanil thread and not to derail your thread, And maybe this is doing just that, i hope not, but along with concern for the pigs, Do you not wonder "WHY" the unclean spirits wanted to enter into the swine in the first place? "WHY" did they want to posses a body so badly? first the mortal human man that Jesus removed them from, then after not having that body to dwell in they insisted to be let into the swines bodies. "Why" was it so important for them to posses a body? {I know why, But i would like to hear someone elses response as to why}. :laugh:

Edited by jadams_4040

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  196
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,343
  • Content Per Day:  0.22
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  12/03/1964

Jesus would never be considered "politically correct". But, was He not concerned for the 2,000 pigs that he cast the demons into that committed suicide?

I really do not understand where you get the number 2000? {maybe it is correct,} But anyway still trying to stand by your origanil thread and not to derail your thread, And maybe this is doing just that, i hope not, but along with concern for the pigs, Do you not wonder "WHY" the unclean spirits wanted to enter into the swine in the first place? "WHY" did they want to posses a body so badly? first the mortal human man that Jesus removed them from, then after not having that body to dwell in they insisted to be let into the swines bodies. "Why" was it so important for them to posses a body? {I know why, But i would like to hear someone elses response as to why}. :laugh:

And at once Jesus gave them permission. Then the unclean spirits went out and entered the swine (there were about two thousand); and the herd ran violently down the steep place into the sea, and drowned in the sea. Mark 5:13 NKJV

Matthew not the Luke account record the number of piggys. The Demons were trying to avoid the pit or judgment.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  44
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,858
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Birthday:  05/23/1957

the demons did not want to go to hell..but the idea that they thought they can inhabit the herd shows how dumb they are... after the pis die I wonder where they went.

Baal was the god of the phonecians and cannanites the male counterpart of ashtaroth. Jezebel introduced this god to Israel and it signified more than weather.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  1,858
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Birthday:  05/23/1957

P.S. the pig was sacrificed to isis. as well as part of egyptian worship.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  4,568
  • Content Per Day:  0.68

I don't think Jesus was being politically correct as it so happened that those Jews who was raising those pigs where breaking Jewish law as pigs where unclean to them to eat and Jesus knew that so he allowed the demons to enter into the pigs so that they ran into the sea and died. You can read further that those ones who was a raising those pigs got mad about it well I'll leave you to read more about..........

OC

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,800
  • Content Per Day:  6.18
  • Days Won:  58

P.S. the pig was sacrificed to isis. as well as part of egyptian worship.

Ive been a student of ancient egypt since I was a teen, and I cant find any reference at all that says that pigs were part of the rituals of isis. I found reference to pigs with set, but not as sacrifices. Please show me this reference.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.92
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Why should He be more concerned about a herd of swine instead of those humans possessed by demons?

:whistling:

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.92
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Baal isn't mentioned before or after this episode.

I know, but there are a lot of things the writers didn't include with the understanding that their audience would know what they are talking about.

Could it be that the sign was meant for us and not the people involved?

:whistling: That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. Why would Jesus not mean to give the people he was trying to reach a sign for themselves?

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  940
  • Content Per Day:  0.16

Ive been a student of ancient egypt since I was a teen, and I cant find any reference at all that says that pigs were part of the rituals of isis. I found reference to pigs with set, but not as sacrifices. Please show me this reference.

Egyptology has been a hobby of mine on and off over the years as well and I do not recall such either. However, that is not to say that I could not have missed it, for that was never a particular focus of mine either.