• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  200
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/26/1954

Where, or when did people start to commonly accept that Jesus wore long hair? And for what reason? And did He wear long hair? Almost everywhere Jesus's picture is depicted it shows Him with long hair.

I am not trying to be contentious or start anything, I am just hoping someone has some information on this subject.

And not that it matters, but what would be considered long hair on a guy?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,399
  • Content Per Day:  0.43
  • Days Won:  1

I do not believe Jesus had long hair. I have been told that the common depiction of Jesus is derived from a greek god not sure what one?

1 Corinthians

14Does not even nature itself teach you that if a man has long hair, it is a dishonor to him?

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  28
  • Content Count:  289
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Birthday:  01/01/1957

Didn't Paul say it is a shame for a man to have long hair. I have seen pictures of Jesus with short hair...although only on JW magazines...he certainly looks clean-cut with a short, back and sides and neatly kept beard.

Rather strong, manly fellow with bright eyes and a smile... as i would have thought Him to be in His earthly body.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  276
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  7,474
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Birthday:  01/31/1966

I think (although I'll have to do some re-research) the descriptions came from a tittle in some of either Josephus' works or a painting by some old famous guy way back when (help me on this one, guys).

This is a good example of why the Bible warns us against idolatry and the use of images. When we see these "pictures", we limit our minds to what we see.

All praise His Name!

t.

Yochanan the Immerser (John the Baptist) was given to a nazarite vow all his life. This meant he drank nothing with a grape in it and that a razor never touched his head. He definitely had very long hair.

Yeshua might have done this also but there is no mention of it in the Bible. However, a Nazarite vow was how a common person declared that they were ministers. This was for anyone who was not a Levite or priest to show that they had dedicated themselves unto God for a season.

It's entirely possible that Yeshua had long hair.

On the other hand Paul was dealing with effeminate men.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  45
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  331
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Birthday:  01/01/2003

I professor I had in college said that most likely Jesus had short hair because long hair was typical for wealthy men, and Jesus was a carpenter, not a wealthy man. Wealthy men probably had more means to keep long hair cleaner.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  335
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Birthday:  01/27/1975

Plus have you ever tried to build something with long hair getting in your way? My wife claims it's next to impossible. Since he was a carpenter I'm betting he had much shorter hair than depicted.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Content Count:  745
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Birthday:  09/27/1976

I don't think it really matters a whole lot, but.....

I tend to think Jesus had long (or longish, lol) hair for the same reasons Yod gave. I think the guy Ethan on Survivor looks how I picture Jesus in my mind. His hair is curly, dark, and longish (hangs around his ears) and he has a beard and mustache. Don't know if you know who I mean, but you could find a picture of Ethan online, I'm sure, lol! Of course, I don't have any idea how realistic that is (I certainly wouldn't stake anything on it, lol) and I think the common depictions of Jesus looking european with blond long hair and blue eyes are not accurate, but I don't get hung up on it either. :laugh:

Guest LadyC

God was NOT opposed to men having long hair, and i firmly believe that Jesus had long hair. why wouldn't he?

if God was not opposed to long hair, he would not have FORBIDDEN samson from ever cutting his! in fact, when samson sinned (for his sexual exploits) and he allowed his lover to cut his hair, God punished him greatly for that. samson's hair was his gift of strength from God, and when it was cut, God stripped him of his strength. the details of the story are hazy in my mind, it's been so long since i read the story, but it's a very interesting one to read.

• Topic Count:  127
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,248
  • Content Per Day:  0.88

being clean cut, dont mean a person has to have short hair,

they can have longer hair and still be clean cut....

as long as a guy isnt try ing to look like a gal, or a gal trying to look like a guy then I personally see no problem with it...

the human hair does serve a purpose, it helps protect the head and neck from the sun, to aid in keeping the body tempurature cooler in the summer and also insulates the head and neck from the cold in the winter......

as far as whether or not Jesus had longer hair or not, really ( i do not feel ) isnt too much of an issue.....