• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,144
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  11/05/1985

Because he spoke of slavery as America's first sin at the very beginning of his speech, as I quoted. Injustices to them began before the injustices to Africans.

To be fair, slavery in America began shortly after the English settled in Virginia. So as soon as the United States was created, slavery already existed within it.

Perseuction and mass killings of Native Americans began in 1493 under Columbus.

I think the confusion is the interpretation of "America". I assumed that Obama was referring to America, as in the United States. Columbus did persecute natives in the americas, but not in the US, because the US wasn't created at that time :)

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  424
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0

:) Edited by hopper

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  24
  • Content Count:  3,292
  • Content Per Day:  0.52

Obama didn't say anything new...how he is getting a pass from this speech is beyond me. He wasn't even that eloquent or believable to me. Mitt Romney's speech on religion was far more impressive and eloquent. Obama just made all the same excuses and looked small compared to the weight of the speech he was giving. I found him totally unbelievable.

We know racism exists, we know why racism exists, we know blacks are still mad about slavery...what is Obama gonna do about it??? Oh, thats right...Obama NEVER has solutions, he just continually points out the problems. This speech was more of the same from him.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  2,144
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  11/05/1985

Oh, thats right...Obama NEVER has solutions, he just continually points out the problems. This speech was more of the same from him.

Well first off, the speech wasn't intended to "solve" anything, it was a speech to allow people to understand his perspective, and the situation at hand.

Second, I could hardly imagine a single person would have the ability to find "the solution" to racial prejudice... Obama acknowledges this fact.

Third, recognizing the problem is the first step to formulating a solution :) If we pretend something isn't there, it will only get worse.

Guest shiloh357

Because he spoke of slavery as America's first sin at the very beginning of his speech, as I quoted. Injustices to them began before the injustices to Africans.

To be fair, slavery in America began shortly after the English settled in Virginia. So as soon as the United States was created, slavery already existed within it.

Perseuction and mass killings of Native Americans began in 1493 under Columbus.

I think the confusion is the interpretation of "America". I assumed that Obama was referring to America, as in the United States. Columbus did persecute natives in the americas, but not in the US, because the US wasn't created at that time :)

Yes, but the point is that the Native American's problems with the white European settlers did not begin with the creation of the US. They predate the formation of the US. Since we are also talking about race, it is relevant.

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  188
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

I hadn't even thought of the personal risk of harm Obama might face. May God protect him.

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.23
  • Content Count:  4,271
  • Content Per Day:  4.95
  • Birthday:  06/03/1955

Oh, thats right...Obama NEVER has solutions, he just continually points out the problems. This speech was more of the same from him.

Well first off, the speech wasn't intended to "solve" anything, it was a speech to allow people to understand his perspective, and the situation at hand.

Second, I could hardly imagine a single person would have the ability to find "the solution" to racial prejudice... Obama acknowledges this fact.

Third, recognizing the problem is the first step to formulating a solution :) If we pretend something isn't there, it will only get worse.

One way to start "solving" the problem is by disavowing and removing "ministers" who beat the drums of hatred, defeat and quilt from within the Houses of God! Again I ask, has anyone heard from this preacher words of forgiveness, salvation, restoration and love, which are the cornerstones of Christianity?

• Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.10
  • Days Won:  78

Am I mistaken that he hadn't called Wright his "former pastor" before? Is it even possible to sit under anyone's leadership for that long and NOT ascribe to their beliefs? IMO he's only speaking out against it now because it's been exposed and it's political suicide for him to not do so.

I would prefer to believe he is weighing the cost of his total separation from this past association. Knowing the damage is done and regardless of his action now he is tied to these comments. So, he is taking what is the high road in his opinion of appearing human and being loyal to the one who introduced him to Christainity. How, would you like to be in the position? I don't really perceive Obama to be a man of deep personal spiritual conviction, perhaps a baby Christian, who never had the benefit of spiritual meat. Interesting side note, he is probably glad at least to be shed of the Muslim argument, Now he is a racist by association and not a terrorist :)

Maybe....the Rev. Wright's commentaries, with all the conspiracy theories and anti-American rabble rousing rhetoric, can be found (nearly verbatim) on Al Jazeera's website. His videotaped sermons remind me of the street scenes from Pakistan or the Palestinian territories. I sense a strong pro-islamic bent here. And, of course, the Rev. is closely allied with Louis Farrakhan. Obama is a smart guy, obviously. Why on earth would he shoot himself in the foot this way? No white person is going to understand a 'church' that is, in reality a forum for racial hatred and a hotbed of political dissent. And, without the white vote, he cannot win; there just aren't enough black people to elect him. The speech was great because that is what Obama does best. He's smart enough to be President. But...is he American enough? Can he be MY President? :wub:

• Topic Count:  156
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,454
  • Content Per Day:  0.48
  • Birthday:  07/02/1969

Does anyone else here find his "charisma" unsettling? There are simply too many people that are mezmerized by him despite the sentiment of those around him. The Chicago Tribune has been following his political career since it started. Just do a search for Obama 1996. Obama is a very tactful politician and has stopped at nothing to win his past campaigns. Why should this time be any different? There are things at work in his campaign that make me very uncomfortable.

• Topic Count:  24
  • Content Count:  270
  • Content Per Day:  0.04

-

O'Dannyboy

Does anyone else here find his "charisma" unsettling? . . . . ...

He 'appears' to be charistmatic, I think, because he seems to be the lesser of two evils.

Place ANYONE beside Hillary - even the Beverly Hillbillies- and they would look charismatic.

Obama is a very tactful politician and has stopped at nothing to win his past campaigns

OK . . . so, how does that make him different from any other politcian - including Republicans?

(I can thing only of Ralph Nadar who shows sufficient integrity and refuses to capitulate to powerful lobby groups. )

There are things at work in his campaign that make me very uncomfortable.

Ok . . so, what 'things' EXACTLY are at work that seem so ominous about him.?????? :)

To me he's a black man who , who, in search of his lost father, came to this place of etsablishing his identity. It as psychologically driven as it is politically . . .IMO

He is not evil incarnate.

And he is not the ant-christ.

Just a liberal politician with liberal policies forging his way through the flack of a political campaign . . .

I think Hillary's camp loves this diversion bcecause it works for her advantage.

It has stopped people from examining HER past - and the nebulous controversies surrounding her i.e. TAX DISCLOSURE for instance) - more closely. :)

:wub:

Edited by chimoku