• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  41
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/22/1993

Is it always wrong? Like, example, I help coach a girls elementary basketball team. We lost by 16 today and it was the championship game and our head coach, Coach Carter kept saying how they might have beat us score wise but they did not defeat or pride, and so on...And he meant basically, don't let them see you cry..Don't view your selves as losers...etc.

Is pride wrong when it comes to that?

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  127
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

There is a difference between not seeing yourself as a looser - We are conquerors in Him - and pride.

Truth is believing what He says about you - We are conquerors in Him.

We tend to think of pride as thinking only 'too highly' of ourselves.

Pride can also be having a low opinion of yourself because you refuse to believe what He has said about you.

I think pride is not the whether the thought of yourself is "high" or "low" but more, how MUCH (quantity) you think of yourself. I think pride may well be more related to selfishly dwelling on ourselves beyond the point that is required for reasonable functioning.

In that sense, encouraging those who are discouraged is not necessarily feeding their pride. It is the spirit behind the encouragement, and the heart with which it is received that can be pride. I don't know if that particular situation can be expressed second hand in a short posting well enough to be accurately discerned here.

In these things, it is the Spirit, and not the law, that must be discerned - Very difficult. Even when you are witnessing the situation, it often takes a gift of discernment to see the real truth behind what is happening.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  366
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,933
  • Content Per Day:  1.57
  • Days Won:  1

We need to make sure we are not using the word pride in different ways. Pride (viewing yourself as better than others) is wrong. Taking pride in work or accomplishments can be a good thing

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  700
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Birthday:  12/11/1977

What about being proud of our children or spouse? I'm curious what category that would be in.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  825
  • Content Per Day:  0.13

What about being proud of our children or spouse? I'm curious what category that would be in.

They're a blessing from God, and what a blessing to have. As long as we never place them in God's position in our lives. :th_praying:

They're a blessing from God, and what a blessing to have. As long as we never place them in God's position in our lives. :whistling:

Amen, but that didnt answer my question.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,568
  • Content Per Day:  0.68

Is it always wrong? Like, example, I help coach a girls elementary basketball team. We lost by 16 today and it was the championship game and our head coach, Coach Carter kept saying how they might have beat us score wise but they did not defeat or pride, and so on...And he meant basically, don't let them see you cry..Don't view your selves as losers...etc.

Is pride wrong when it comes to that?

I think pride is when we think that we ourselves are more superior than other are for example like Nebechudnezzar in the book of Daniel.

In your statement I think the coach was just trying to keep up their spirits up of the team and it is not the kind of pride that God says he hates in the book of Proverbs.

OC

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  44
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,858
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Birthday:  05/23/1957

once I saw how my pride stinkith bfore God. I prayed everyday for the Holy Spirit to convict me everytime I was prideful. Years had gone by just working on this issue.

One day I went before the Lord Jesus...We had this thing whipped....or so I thought.

I said to Him" thank-you so much Lord that we worked together on this fault which seems impossible to rid of. I can now proudly say I have no pride! :whistling: Hope you get it!

once I saw how my pride stinkith bfore God. I prayed everyday for the Holy Spirit to convict me everytime I was prideful. Years had gone by just working on this issue.

One day I went before the Lord Jesus...We had this thing whipped....or so I thought.

I said to Him" thank-you so much Lord that we worked together on this fault which seems impossible to rid of. I can now proudly say I have no pride! :ph34r: Hope you get it!

:whistling: