• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  154
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  09/26/1976

Here's a pretty cool lecture given by Anglican Bishop NT Wright, called 'How can the Bible be authoritative?'

http://www.ntwrightpage.com/Wright_Bible_Authoritative.htm

I really enjoy his writing and the depth of thought and research he puts into it.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When God Speaks You Will Know It

So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it.

Isaiah 55:11

Then It Is Your Choice

And if it seem evil unto you to serve the LORD, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.

Joshua 24:15

To Believe

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:16

Or Not

For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved. He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

John 3:17-18

Choose Wisely And Know Love

:emot-hug:

Be Blessed Beloved Of The KING

The LORD bless thee, and keep thee:

The LORD make his face shine upon thee, and be gracious unto thee:

The LORD lift up his countenance upon thee, and give thee peace.

And they shall put my name upon the children of Israel; and I will bless them.

Numbers 6:24-27

Love, Your Brother Joe

And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the LORD shall be delivered: for in mount Zion and in Jerusalem shall be deliverance, as the LORD hath said, and in the remnant whom the LORD shall call. Joel 2:32

Thy words were found, and I did eat them; and thy word was unto me the joy and rejoicing of mine heart: for I am called by thy name, O LORD God of hosts.

Jeremiah 15:16

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  827
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  12,101
  • Content Per Day:  1.50
  • Days Won:  3

Thy words were found, and I did eat them; and thy word was unto me the joy and rejoicing of mine heart: for I am called by thy name, O LORD God of hosts.

In Bible Times

1947 - 2008

And shall put my spirit in you, and ye shall live, and I shall place you in your own land: then shall ye know that I the LORD have spoken it, and performed it, saith the LORD.

Ezekiel 37:14

1947-2008

And say unto them, Thus saith the Lord GOD; Behold, I will take the children of Israel from among the heathen, whither they be gone, and will gather them on every side, and bring them into their own land:

Ezekiel 37:21

1947 - Soon

And I will make them one nation in the land upon the mountains of Israel; and one king shall be king to them all: and they shall be no more two nations, neither shall they be divided into two kingdoms any more at all: Neither shall they defile themselves any more with their idols, nor with their detestable things, nor with any of their transgressions: but I will save them out of all their dwellingplaces, wherein they have sinned, and will cleanse them: so shall they be my people, and I will be their God.

Ezekiel 37:22-23

In Bible Times

:)

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  36
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

The Bible has always been under constant attack. There is no shortage of people who will be glad to tell you that the Bible is wrong about this or that, and not being scholars it is hard for us to refute such a charge, even though we know it is false. Read it every day, let it seep into your soul, and be grateful that you have it. Nothing else can bring you such comfort, or such a sense of security. Guard the word in the recesses of your heart and just ignore all the idle chatter.

Remember that after being attacked for thousands of years no one has been able to discredit even one book. Instead, as time passes, even more of it is proven to be accurate by archeology.

No other book can compare to your Bible.

Amen!

The Bible - God's Holy Book

This Book contains the mind of God, the state of man, the way of salvation, the doom of sinners, and the happiness of believers.

Its doctrines are holy, its precepts are binding, its histories are true, and its decisions immutable.

This Book contains the mind of God, the state of man, the way of salvation, the doom of sinners, and the happiness of believers.

Its doctrines are holy, its precepts are binding, its histories are true, and its decisions immutable.

Read it to be wise, believe it to be safe, and practice it to be holy.

It contains light to direct you, food to support you, and comfort to cheer you.

It is the traveler's map, the pilgrim's staff, the pilot's compass, the soldier's sword, and the Christian's charter.

Christ is its subject, our good its design, and the glory of God its end.

It should fill the memory, rule the heart and guide the feet.

Read it slowly, frequently and prayerfully.

It is given to you in life, will be open in the judgement, and be remembered forever.

It involves the highest responsibility, rewards the greatest labor, and condemns all who trifle with its holy precepts

- Author Unknown

http://www.av1611.org/kjv/holybook.html

"Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away."

-Jesus Christ (Matthew 24:35)

• Topic Count:  117
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  444
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Birthday:  10/29/1966

John 1:1-4 (New International Version)

New International Version (NIV)

Copyright

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  326
  • Content Per Day:  0.06

That is just one of the cutest smilies I have seen in a long time.

How do we know that it's the 'right' bible (as opposed to multiple other choices out there) - we test it. Easy.

Pray and ask God to show you. Ask him for things in Jesus name and see what happens. The bible tells us that Jesus said 'no man can come to the Father, except through me'. He's either a liar or he's not. Ask God for things specifically in Jims name or Spots name or Freds name and see what happens. Ask him for things in Jesus name and see what happens.

If we can't trust God to show us the truth about which bible to believe and follow - how can we trust him at all, with anything? But if we don't ask - how can he answer us? Ask and it shall be given, seek and you shall find, knock and the door will be opened.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  39
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  591
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Birthday:  11/27/1979

Pray and ask God to show you. Ask him for things in Jesus name and see what happens. The bible tells us that Jesus said 'no man can come to the Father, except through me'. He's either a liar or he's not. Ask God for things specifically in Jims name or Spots name or Freds name and see what happens. Ask him for things in Jesus name and see what happens.

If we can't trust God to show us the truth about which bible to believe and follow - how can we trust him at all, with anything? But if we don't ask - how can he answer us? Ask and it shall be given, seek and you shall find, knock and the door will be opened.

There is a Deist saying (Deists believe logic dictates a creator exists, but that logically is too big to understand or require worship). It goes along the lines of this: Pray to Jesus for a week for something to happen (any prayer you like, doesn't have to be startlingly amazing). Then for the next week pray to a brick for the same thing. Repeat this process. Deists will argue that statistically the answered prayer from both brick and Jesus will be identical. And thus it is illogical to pray to Jesus because the same effect is caused when praying to bricks.

Naturally I don't agree with this assessment. I believe in the power of prayer. I believe God answers all our prayers, and yes to an extent even the prayers of those who dont' believe (though why a non-believer would pray to God is... puzzling). But I don't necessarily believe the answer God will give us is always the answer we expect. If we ask for him to help heal a family member with cancer he may choose to do so, but in the same line, he may anwer you by sending you a friend or confidante to console you during your moment of grief. Prayer answered, just not as expected.

I do see what you are saying, but I don't think that prayer works as a "magic genie" like many people want to make it out to be. I'm not saying God doesn't heal people, I'm just saying the answer given may not necessarily be a definitive "Yes, you are miraculously healed of your life-ending illness". God works miracles on the inside, not the outside (as a general rule, though you may receive the outside as well).

Just something to think about.

Guest lovinghim4ever
How do we know that it's the 'right' bible (as opposed to multiple other choices out there) - we test it. Easy.

:):thumbsup: Great post yesult.

There are so many translations to choose from that I have a difficult time accepting these translations as being without error. Why? Because, humans were involved in translating them.

Yes, I believe that God inspired men to write the original scripture, but these men were human. And, I don't believe these humans got it 100% right 100% of the time. So, that's where FAITH/TRUST comes in.

We are all human, and we all make mistakes interpretting God's will for our lives. Many times I have heard God speak to me only to misinterpret the meaning of what He was telling me, but my FAITH/TRUST got me through without God striking me down for my error. He lovingly forgave me. He helped me correct my mistake and move on with my life.

Don't get me wrong! I LOVE and HIGHLY RESPECT the Bible as God's word. I do my best to live by the scripture, however I still have a problem with believing there are NO errors in the different translations. I have a difficult time believing that these humans did not make mistakes of interpretation when translating it.

So, again - that's where FAITH/TRUST in God comes in.

:laugh::wub::emot-hug: