IGNORED

Do you think it matters what translation of the Bible a person uses?

Metadyjital

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  827
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  12,101
  • Content Per Day:  1.50
  • Days Won:  3

Love The Bible

Jeremiah 15:16

................................................................................

New American Standard Bible

Your words were found and I ate them, And Your words became for me a joy and the delight of my heart; For I have been called by Your name, O LORD God of hosts.

................................................................................

GOD'S WORD Translation

Your words were found, and I devoured them. Your words are my joy and my heart's delight, because I am called by your name, O LORD God of Armies.

King James Bible

Thy words were found, and I did eat them; and thy word was unto me the joy and rejoicing of mine heart: for I am called by thy name, O LORD God of hosts.

American King James Version

Your words were found, and I did eat them; and your word was to me the joy and rejoicing of my heart: for I am called by your name, O LORD God of hosts.

American Standard Version

Thy words were found, and I did eat them; and thy words were unto me a joy and the rejoicing of my heart: for I am called by thy name, O Jehovah, God of hosts.

Bible in Basic English

But to me your word is a joy, making my heart glad; for I am named by your name, O Lord God of armies.

Douay-Rheims Bible

Thy words were found, and I did eat them, and thy word was to me a joy and gladness of my heart: for thy name is called upon me, O Lord God of hosts.

Darby Bible Translation

Thy words were found, and I did eat them, and thy words were unto me the joy and rejoicing of my heart; for I am called by thy name, O Jehovah, God of hosts.

English Revised Version

Thy words were found, and I did eat them; and thy words were unto me a joy and the rejoicing of mine heart: for I am called by thy name, O LORD God of hosts.

Webster's Bible Translation

Thy words were found, and I did eat them; and thy word was to me the joy and rejoicing of my heart: for I am called by thy name, O LORD God of hosts.

World English Bible

Your words were found, and I ate them; and your words were to me a joy and the rejoicing of my heart: for I am called by your name, Yahweh, God of Armies.

Young's Literal Translation

Thy words have been found, and I eat them, And Thy word is to me for a joy, And for the rejoicing of my heart, For Thy name is called on me, O Jehovah, God of Hosts.

Jeremiah 15:16

:whistling:

Bless You Father

Praise Your Name Lord Jesus

Thank You Holy Spirit Of The Living God

Hallelujah!

Amen

Wow .. awesome post Joe

Amen! Thanks Joe! :th_praying:

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  127
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,131
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  02/25/1962

I believe that the best version to use actually would be the original greek and hebrew texts. however since most of us don't read hebrew or greek that well. I guess we need to settle for some of the other versions.

I use KJV, NKJV, NASB, NLT, Amp, ESV, God's word, NIV, RSV, and The Message. :bored-1:

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  400
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  1,903
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/19/1942

Jeremiah 15:16 (Today's New International Version)

Today's New International Version (TNIV)

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  105
  • Content Count:  1,741
  • Content Per Day:  0.28
  • Birthday:  07/30/1959

i just had to add the nlt's version to the mix, joe.

When I discovered your words, I devoured them.

They are my joy and my heart

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,260
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

I believe that the best version to use actually would be the original greek and hebrew texts. however since most of us don't read hebrew or greek that well. I guess we need to settle for some of the other versions.

I use KJV, NKJV, NASB, NLT, Amp, ESV, God's word, NIV, RSV, and The Message. :laugh:

That would be ok, however then one has to decide which manuscripts to use..... they are not all the same.

Personally when someone mentions a new bible that I am not familiar with, I look first at John 3:16.

i"For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish, but have eternal life. 1

NASB

John 3:16

16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should notho perish, but have everlasting life.

KJV

For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life.

NLT

i284For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, fthat whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

NIV

The difference between "should not" and "will or shall not" is not a small thing. The textus recputs greek I have access to reads "might not".

It is one of the places some of my Baptist friends explain their belief of all that believe will be saved. I personally will not use any translation that uses the "shall not perish" or "will not perish"

I use KJV, NKJV, NASB, NLT, Amp, ESV, God's word, NIV, RSV, and The Message. :24:

That would be ok, however then one has to decide which manuscripts to use..... they are not all the same.

Personally when someone mentions a new bible that I am not familiar with, I look first at John 3:16.

i"For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish, but have eternal life. 1

NASB

John 3:16

16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should notho perish, but have everlasting life.

KJV

For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life.

NLT

i284For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, fthat whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

NIV

The difference between "should not" and "will or shall not" is not a small thing. The textus recputs greek I have access to reads "might not".

It is one of the places some of my Baptist friends explain their belief of all that believe will be saved. I personally will not use any translation that uses the "shall not perish" or "will not perish"

Yea; other one I can see where your coming from on this, Once saved always saved, have you every read the amplified version of John 3:16, that puts a new spin on it.

John 3:16 reads: 16 For God so greatly loved and dearly prized the world that He [even] gave up His only begotten ( unique) Son, so that whoever believes in (trusts in, clings to, relies on) Him shall not perish (come to destruction, be lost) but have eternal (everlasting) life. This shows that believing in Christ is more than just lip service. :huh:

I know that this is a very decent version to use because of the original Greek word for Believes (pisteuō)which defines the word as: to have faith (in, upon, or with respect to, a person or thing), i.e. credit; by implication to entrust (especially one's spiritual well-being to Christ) :- believe (-r), commit (to trust), put in trust with.

First thing I do when I study is pray for the guidance of the Holy Spirit, for He guides unto all truth.

I use the Greek and Hebrew and the scripture as a set of checks and balances to compliment each other. For example I will take all the scripture concerning a subject I'm studying. Then i will look at the greek or hebrew for that word, it's all got to agree, what ever does not agree with the majority I throw it out. I'll give you an example; on my website there is a video I did on Jehovah's witness under the micro-scope, I think that was a couple of weeks ago, anyways; the Jehovah's witnesses use the greek Septuagint (LXX) In Isaiah 9:6 to build their case that Jesus is not God; the Septuagint LXX in this chapter and verse use the word (agglelov) or transliterated (Aggelos) or in the english (Angel or messenger) for the word God.

However in Hebrews 1:4-6; it reads: 4 Being made so much better than the angels, as he hath by inheritance obtained a more excellent name than they. 5 For unto which of the angels said he at any time, Thou art my Son, this day have I begotten thee? And again, I will be to him a Father, and he shall be to me a Son? 6 And again, when he bringeth in the firstbegotten into the world, he saith, And let all the angels of God worship him. KJV

The Greek Septuagint LXX is in clear countradiction to Hebrews 1:4-6; so I wouldn't use that manuscript for my conclusion.

In His service

Spiritman :huh:

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  34
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

Guess deep down I wonder how much it really matters. Do we really need to know the exact wording of every single text? Can we without knowing Greek and Hebrew? If the heart is right, isnt it the Spirit of the Word anyway?

Fee and Gordon have a great discussion of what translations to use in the first chapter of How to Read the Bible For all It's Worth

Thanks for the information Rufus, is this a book or can I access this on line? :foot-stomp:

Fee and Gordon have a great discussion of what translations to use in the first chapter of How to Read the Bible For all It's Worth

Thanks for the information Rufus, is this a book or can I access this on line? :emot-heartbeat:

It might be up on Google Books, but I know for sure you can get it on Amazon. I think the latest edition was the 3rd edition. Comes to it, I can mail you a copy of it. I've got extra left over from a class I taught.

Thanks Ruf :blink: for the offer; but I'll go ahead and order a copy of it on Amazon. That way I won't put you to no trouble.

Blessings

Spiritman

Guess deep down I wonder how much it really matters. Do we really need to know the exact wording of every single text? Can we without knowing Greek and Hebrew? If the heart is right, isnt it the Spirit of the Word anyway?

:)

The holy spirit does indeed guide one to the truth; however sometimes it's necessay to give someone who's going the wrong direction a little more than just The Spirit told me. I talk to some people who claim to be christians on line (well maybe they in their hearts truely believe that they are Chrisitans, but anyway, they don't believe in gifts of the spirit for today, but they are intelligent people.

most people know the rules for language; hebrew and greek have this in common with the english; if you have two words that are the same; but used in a different context, the context determines the correct definition; along with the fact, that the meaning we have come up with cannot contradict not even one scripture. This is called hermnutics (science of Biblical intepretation).

For example Let's take the word Run.

First context sentence reads: I have a Run in my stocking.

Second context reads: Let's put on our tennis shoes and go for a Run.

Same word used in a different context. If someone tells me that they have a run in their stocking; I don't interpret them as saying that they want to go jogging.

And If someone says Let's put on our tennis shoes; I know their not talking about a tare in their stockings.