Oh Hamburgers!

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.22
  • Days Won:  115

I am sure that there will be another vote on this matter rather soon.

Well ... a couple of days, at least ...

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  1,285
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  17,917
  • Content Per Day:  2.27
  • Days Won:  19

Wayne,

I respectfully disagree. :) The Politics of the New Deal can be argued to have prolonged the suffering.

There's an excellent video out called; "Burning down the House,"(insert irony here :) ) it's available on the internet and readily found on the Internet. It explains how the Government were the ones who put us into this mess.

Peace,

Dave

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Topic Count:  232
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  7,261
  • Content Per Day:  0.96
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/19/1959

Wayne,

I respectfully disagree. :) The Politics of the New Deal can be argued to have prolonged the suffering.

Peace,

Dave

The policies of the New Deal fed my father and his siblings during the Great Depression. :) Regardless, we do disagree.

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  827
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  12,101
  • Content Per Day:  1.50
  • Days Won:  3

I agree with Wayne on this. And, the New Deal fed a LOT of people. Unfortunately, if our economy fails, we're at greater world-wide risk and much longer term recovery periods. I think it's going to help usher in a greater dependance on other countries - more so than what we already are.

There absolutely needs to be reform, but I'd sure like to see that in a more stabilized atmosphere.

This is astounding, actually. All the things that are transpiring, with threats on our radar, our country fractured - Ahmahdinnerjackets' words might surely ring true. Interesting times indeed.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,060
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Birthday:  10/23/1970

Isn't that an ancient Chinese curse- "May you live in interesting times"?

The frustrating part...sad actually...is that it should never have gotten this far.

We recovered from the Savings & Loan crisis that affected the economy well into the eary 90's and then credit just got lose as a goose again!

People max'd out their credit cards, were approved for mortages that were 10 times their annual income...and us "fat cats" were more than willing to accomodate them. People were loaned money who couldn't afford to pay back and the economy boomed. We all benefited....until it was time to pay up.

One day it had to end, though...and it has.

Using the house analogy, it's sort of like adding appliance after appliance until one day the house catches on fire! Right now we need to put the fire out. It'll be important that we follow through and ensure what started the fire doesn't happen again. (even though it will)

There will be some good come of it all though. Kiplinger, a trusted forecaster reports...

In a few months, when the smoke clears on the current financial and legislative turmoil... What will be different from a few months ago?

First, a much less leveraged economy.

Cash will be king. There

If this is interesting, I'd rather boring.... :):)

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  827
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  12,101
  • Content Per Day:  1.50
  • Days Won:  3

If this is interesting, I'd rather boring.... :):)

Ditto that! :)

• Topic Count:  1,285
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  17,917
  • Content Per Day:  2.27
  • Days Won:  19

Yes, my parents lived through the tail end of the Great Depression too. :) My Dad will tell you stories.

You all ever watch this fella Kramer on Cable?

He predicted all of this two years ago. I was watching him the other night and he said this bailout will not solve the problem because the problem is worldwide. He was predicting that the market would continue to fall with or without the bailout. It would jsut fall slower with the bailout.

He was in favor for the bailout to stop all of the panic though.

Either way this Nation is getting it for it's unrepentant greed and make no mistake the Government knew something was amiss. :) They just thought this unrealistic borrowing and spending would just keep going on and on. :)

Don't worry after all the partisan nonsense clears the air later this week, like Wednesday, Washington will bring this back up make some small changes and then vote it back to life. Then both sides will be able to state openly that they stood for the right thing. When the right thing is to do the perp walk with those Politicians who were intimate with the internal workings of Fannie Mae.

Peace,

Dave

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  268
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Birthday:  02/25/2004

Neil Cavuto stated that letters to Congress numbered 1000 to 1 in opposition to the bailout.

That's not what I have seen reported...and my source is FOXNEWS.

...and it looks like Wall Street is sending a message. The DOW is down over 700 points and falling fast.

Y'all really do need to read up on the New Deal, a series of programs that led this nation out of the Great Depression.

Sometimes the Federal Government does need to step in and reestablish some "balance" to our economy.

At approximately 1:54pm today on FoxNews, Neil Cavuto did affirm what I also have personally noted reading "Letters to Congress" (prior to the failing of this bill). Only now that the bill has failed and the subsequent correction in the stock market are people voicing opinions to support a bailout. I can't help but believe the sudden turnaround in these letters are motivated by the fall of the market after Congress reacted to the will of the People. I believe those calling for support now are losing money and are greedily trying to avoid losses that are due to the corruption on the part of the lenders and the irresponsibility on the part of the borrowers.

I respectfully disagree with your opinion about the New Deal. Our failing Social Security system was created by the New Deal. Anytime we leave it up to government to take care of what we should be able to personally care for, we find ourselves worse off. The reason for that is because it empowers government over us which leads to corruption. I do think that the Works Progress Administration (WPA) was a good program, but that was a national program of development - not a loan to irresponsible people.

7Endure hardship as discipline; God is treating you as sons. For what son is not disciplined by his father? 8If you are not disciplined (and everyone undergoes discipline), then you are illegitimate children and not true sons. 9Moreover, we have all had human fathers who disciplined us and we respected them for it. How much more should we submit to the Father of our spirits and live! 10Our fathers disciplined us for a little while as they thought best; but God disciplines us for our good, that we may share in his holiness. 11No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.