• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  191
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/15/1971

Talking with Jesus as I was headed down to sleep last night, He asked me if I thought obediance was forever. My first thought, "Sure. We're always to obey You."

Then He says, "If you like doing that which I've asked you to do, are you obeying? Or has it become your will to do as the Father wills?"

He gave me the image of a child refusing to do something because they thought it was hard. Once they did it, and found it to their liking, asking them to do it isn't a problem anymore, and they don't see it as obeying.

So, I'm thinking that obediance to God's will doesn't last very long, because we find the task to our liking, and our will becomes like God's. Even if the job is yuck, God always makes it worth our while. We start to earnestly like doing whatever it is that God would have us do (even though I often quickly return to the stiff-necked state when God changes direction on me! :thumbsup:

Non-believers are always hearing "OBEY!" and, like that child in the image, stomp and fret, not realizing that they will like it in the end. How can we show more that we actually love doing God's will and it really stops being about obeying, but being more like Jesus? Maybe its just me, maybe I'm not doing this near enough.

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  118
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  01/25/1971

Amen, stormy!! Well said.

Thank the Lord for this insight to you. He is soooo awsome. I tend to have a rebellion problem, cleverly disguised as anything else. It is awsome to think about when we give it all to God, our heart does change and we become more like Him.

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  30
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  01/26/1969

Talking with Jesus as I was headed down to sleep last night, He asked me if I thought obediance was forever. My first thought, "Sure. We're always to obey You."

Then He says, "If you like doing that which I've asked you to do, are you obeying? Or has it become your will to do as the Father wills?"

He gave me the image of a child refusing to do something because they thought it was hard. Once they did it, and found it to their liking, asking them to do it isn't a problem anymore, and they don't see it as obeying.

So, I'm thinking that obediance to God's will doesn't last very long, because we find the task to our liking, and our will becomes like God's. Even if the job is yuck, God always makes it worth our while. We start to earnestly like doing whatever it is that God would have us do (even though I often quickly return to the stiff-necked state when God changes direction on me! :thumbsup:

Non-believers are always hearing "OBEY!" and, like that child in the image, stomp and fret, not realizing that they will like it in the end. How can we show more that we actually love doing God's will and it really stops being about obeying, but being more like Jesus? Maybe its just me, maybe I'm not doing this near enough.

I would like thank you for sharing this forum openly with me. I opened and read this with a relating questioning that I think everybody can relate to. The question at the end is not so simple to answer within ourselves and openly share a response that can easily go very in depth. I'm new to this forum and I'm seeing that challenging observations and questions are being shown to me. This has given me a chance to see within myself if I am understanding and living God's will correctly for myself. Some response would be great for me to see if I'm on the right track or not. May God bless all. Solman

As I pray on this topic the more in depth and double edged the answer could be. (as I see this) We can show more that we actually love doing God's will by example in our actions and decisions without trying to defend the idols that the world imposses on us everyday in our lives. The first commandment "Thou shalt not have any other God's before me". The first step in doing God's will to me is to understand and live the basic ten commandments in our lives; and the light will shine from us onto others in your presence. The second part of the question " and it really stops being about obeying, but being more like Jesus?". I ask myself who or what are we really having a question about obeying? Is our obediance directed to God alone or are we clouding the question with merckiness of obedience to the world. Because in order to be more like Jesus we would give all our money to the poor, pick up our cross of shame and guilt pay our penants to God and walk with Him day by day everyday until Christ comes again to redeem our souls unto eternal salvation. So who or what are we showing obediance to? God's plan or Satan's plan in our current time.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

That's an interesting way of looking at things.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  326
  • Content Per Day:  0.06

I've been reflecting recently that IMO the hardest thing in christianity is actually the giving up of your own will for His. So to voluntarily serve someone else instead of yourself.

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  162
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,844
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Birthday:  03/23/1964

Very profound.

Very true.

• Topic Count:  21
  • Content Count:  191
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Birthday:  02/15/1971

Solman, I'm not sure I completely understand what you said. I'd like to understand better so I can respond to you.

I'd to like clarify, if I can, what I believe Jesus meant. Obediance is merely the first step, the hardest step. Its where our flesh begins to rebel. It sees it as a 'chore', a 'command' or a 'burden' (I'm talking of my own personal feelings here). Once we've taken it, our eyes are opened and we can see God. There is joy on the other side. Joy from wisdom gained, knowledge gained, understanding gained, discernment gained, people being helped, etc.

What I usually hear preached are the consequences of not obeying God's will. That's really all I heard growing up. "Do this or else!" It made me afraid and resentful. I think about non-believers hearing what I heard, and I imagine them feeling like I did.

So Jesus said that if I can show them that there is joy in obeying His will, that it stops being a 'chore' and 'command' and it becomes their heart's desire to do as He does, then their curiosity might be peaked just enough to help them take that first step. It's a way to take the bite out of that word-"OBEY!" and it certainly won't pile shame upon the person if they hesitate. Some people have a reaaaallllly negative view of that word. Just hearing it brings up all sorts of bad feelings or bad memories. I'm not trying to undermine the importance of obeying God's word, I'd just like to side-step stirring up those feelings which often times, shuts down a person's ability to hear. I'd like to give them another picture of obediance, one perhaps that they've never seen before. I obey God, and it is delightful because our hearts and wills are in agreement. I'm doing the will of my Father (obeying) but now I want to of my own free will, too.

My actions are seen by people-Christians and non-believers alike. I totally agree with you there. I have to show the joy in my heart, but I also have to answer questions regarding why I'm happy doing God's will. So now I'm thinking of how I can show better the joy I feel in God's will and presence.

I hope I haven't misunderstood you. If I have, please forgive me!

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  366
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,933
  • Content Per Day:  1.57
  • Days Won:  1

We never stop obeying. It is the motivation for obedience that changes over time

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  30
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  01/26/1969

Stormy612,

Thank you for responding. Maybe I should share with you were I 'm coming from. Through my past disobediance, I've been able see the results and experience the rewards through repentance. Charitow's input is very relative where a soldier submits to the leader (God). I see alot of people substituting following their leader for following the ways of the world. Serving two masters, as the bible states "either you will love one and hate the other" but you can't serve two masters. I found out the hard way in my past. Years ago the Spirit had directed me to sell and give away my posessions which resulted in living out a backpack and a tent with a Bible is where my spiritual journey began four years ago. When I didn't have anything worldly to direct my attentions to doors opened up that I never knew were available, I started going places not knowing why I was being directed to but once I got there through the experience God revealed to me my purpose for enduring the hardships to get to the destination through the people or person that God directed to find me.

So through obediance or submitting oneself to God a person is really able to experience the purpose God has for whomever. Maybe this side of my response can explain my reasoning to the first interaction. Solman