• Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  244
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/20/1973

According to the Oxford Dictionary, atheism is defined as:

atheism |ˈāθēˌizəm|

noun

the theory or belief that God does not exist.

Let's look at the word 'theory' a little closer. As described by Oxford...

theory |ˈθēərē; ˈθi(ə)rē|

noun ( pl. -ries)

a supposition or a system of ideas intended to explain something, esp. one based on general principles independent of the thing to be explained : Darwin's theory of evolution.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  2,144
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  11/05/1985

That is interesting to me. I believe that most atheists and agnostics chose not to believe in God for the exact reason that you are claiming the Bible provides: hard evidence. I know that there are indeed historical events that match up with events in the Bible, and that can be proven in some cases.

That does not however make the Bible a spiritual vessel, although it does provide some credibility as a historical reference.

I know that many stumble on areas that can be seen as inconsistent, such as the parting of the Red sea, of the creation of the earth, noah's ark etc.

I am not trying to attack the view you hold, but I am curious as to what specific things you think can be pointed to to claim the Bible's spiritual authority?

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Content Count:  244
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Birthday:  02/20/1973

That is interesting to me. I believe that most atheists and agnostics chose not to believe in God for the exact reason that you are claiming the Bible provides: hard evidence. I know that there are indeed historical events that match up with events in the Bible, and that can be proven in some cases.

That does not however make the Bible a spiritual vessel, although it does provide some credibility as a historical reference.

I know that many stumble on areas that can be seen as inconsistent, such as the parting of the Red sea, of the creation of the earth, noah's ark etc.

I am not trying to attack the view you hold, but I am curious as to what specific things you think can be pointed to to claim the Bible's spiritual authority?

Thank you for asking that question. It's truly a mater of "IF a=b AND b=c THEN a=c" - at least, in my mind. Please allow me to explain.

IF Biblical Statement = Historical Evidence AND Historical Evidence is TRUE

THEN

Biblical Statement is TRUE

OR

IF Biblical Statement = Archaeological Evidence AND Archaeological Evidence is TRUE

THEN

Biblical Statement is TRUE

Of course, we are ONLY looking at two sets of criteria (history and archaeology), and as you say, the jury is still out on certain facts, yet to be proven or disproven at this juncture in time.

So I ask this question... How much evidence is enough? 1% truth, 99% unknown? 33% truth, 66% unknown? 66% truth, 33% unknown? 99% truth, 1% unknown? or a solid 100% truth?

There's a problem with this. 100% of the Biblical account is not historically, archaeologically or scientifically reference-able. A good chunk of the Biblical account is based on spirituality - faith in God.

So we need to ask ourselves a very important question. If the Bible's tangible, physical elements (pertaining to history, archaeology, science, etc.) are proven to be true, what does this say about the nature of the spiritual areas of the Biblical account?

In other words, if everything the Bible has said is found to be true with regards to what we can see for ourselves, isn't it safe to say that what the Bible says about areas we cannot see are more likely to be true than not?

Also, keep this in mind - despite the fact that some of the evidence in support of the Biblical account has yet to be 100% confirmed as 100% true (ie: parting of Red Seas, Noah's Ark, etc. [bTW - There is plenty of evidence for both parting of Red Sea and a Great Flood - but that is a post of a different color]), no one has 100% ruled them out either. We have more positive proof for the Biblical account than we have against it.

So giving the author (God) the benefit of the doubt, doesn't it stand to reason that there may very well be some truth with regards to the spiritual account?

This is where we divert from we can see, touch, taste, and hear and delve into the realm of faith.

I personally, take it on faith that the remainder of the Bible must be true because everything else I have witnessed about the Biblical account is either 100% true or has yet to be 100% refuted as a lie. I'm giving the author (God) the benefit of the doubt.

Here is one other "proof" - Based on what I have witnessed in my own life and in the lives of others, those who cling to scriptural (spiritual truths) seem to have something many people do not have - hope. From a non-believer's point of view, there is no hope.

Look at atheism and agnosticism. If there is no God, then when you die, that is it. You are just a chapter or perhaps only a foot note in the page of history. Where is the hope in that?

If you are Muslim, your life relies on the scales tipping in your favor. You need 51% good works to get into Heaven. That sounds VERY stressful to me. Where is the hope in that?

If you are of a religion who has no afterlife, but perhaps, reincarnation as another beast (ie Cow), you are destined to be a regurgitated soul. Where is the hope in that?

Also, I've known plenty of believers, who in the face of extreme opposition, even to the point of death, have given glory to God and have maintained the strongest spirit of anyone, and yet, others with less hope and faith fail because they have neither. What can be said of this?

We cannot scientifically measure such things, for they are unseen and unmeasurable. And yet, the Bible goes to great lengths to explain and describe such events. I'm glad that the Bible has a good, solid foot print in the realm of history and archaeology. But for me, I'm much happier knowing that there is a purpose for our lives, that it's not in vain and that there is something better to come through faith in God (Jesus Christ).

So there you have it. You have my logical side as well as my spiritual side.

BTW - You said something curious...

I believe that most atheists and agnostics chose not to believe in God for the exact reason that you are claiming the Bible provides: hard evidence.

This is a statement that lacks all logic and reason. This is like saying, "I don't believe in internal combustion engines despite the fact that there are millions of cars on the road." Why would anyone ignore physical, tangible evidence? And yet, there are those who cling to "theories" (ie evolution [please see definition of theory in original post]) which have yet to be proven as "fact" and yet, the Bible, which supports oodles and oodles of [historical and archaeological] facts beyond anything the theory of evolution has yet to produce is looked upon with extreme scrutiny.

Which seems the more foolish? The one with the facts or the one who says, "One day I might have facts, but for now, we must contend with nothing more than a theory." Again, for me to believe in something of that nature is just too hard to swallow, especially in light of the facts.

I'm guessing that IF we can prove the Bible is fallible, then there's truly nothing to worry about because the remainder of the Biblical account crumbles due to it's lack of credibility. However, if we cannot disprove anything within the Biblical account, the ramifications are huge - it really does mean that there's a Heaven and a Hell and that those who do not chose God and abide by His standards truly are going to Hell. This is a scary thought for some people - especially those who just don't like the idea of having to make such a choice. But in the end, they really did make a choice. There are only two choices. Either chose God, or don't choose God. Those who chose God, get to go with God onto Heaven and those who don't choose God get to stay behind.

It's kind of like getting on a bus. Either you're on or you're off - their is no in between state.

Personally, from what I have witnessed, this is what non-believers fear most. The reasons are simple - IF the Bible is TRUE and God is TRUE then it means everyone really is going to Heaven or to Hell. It also means that all the things that a lot of non-believers cling too truly are "wrong" and it really does mean that there is a universal, moral code. People don't want to hear such things. They want to know that it's OK to sleep with whomever they want or to talk how they want or behave how they want. People like the idea of being in control of their own lives and potentially in control of other's lives. People don't like the idea of sin or the idea of Hell. Everyone likes to think of themselves as a "Good Person" but in God's eyes, none are good. And because of that, people like to refute God and try to downplay any such notion of God. It makes us feel better when we can say, "I don't answer to anyone. I am my own God! HUZZAH!" Even if we don't say it or think it, it's still something most people do cling to. But if God truly is what the Bible says he is, well, that changes everything and people don't like that. It's easier to turn a blind eye and scream "foul" than to accept God.

And many people who say, "Well, if there is a God, he's unfair and unjust!" But do those people ever stop to ask, "By who's standards? Yours or God's?" If God truly is and truly did create us and we truly are imperfect, then who are we to judge God by our own imperfect standards?

Anyway - now we've deviated from your original question. For this I apologize - Another soap box for me I spose!

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.11
  • Days Won:  78

Atheism means.... 'a'=the absence of, 'theism'=belief in God. Simple. :thumbsup:

• Topic Count:  156
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,454
  • Content Per Day:  0.48
  • Birthday:  07/02/1969

In nutshell: The belief that everything in the universe is an accident.

• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  63
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

The Bible is not made up, but it doesn't prove God's existence. What it proves, is that long time ago, a bunch of people walked the earth and some were recorded. We also deny the possibility of God being able to walk the earth and write books, so we believe that humanity wrote it. We also cannot grasp the idea of God talking to people. Further, we know that when humans are involved, things tend to go wrong, so the Bible is no exception to that idea.

We believe in how we want our life to be, we are all expressing our selves. If you dedicate your life to God, then that is your path, but not everyone can or want that.

Personally, I think people should find themselves on their inside, and when they are clear about their own identity, then they should ask themselves if they believe in God, or not. If they do believe, then they can pick up a religion, but I don't think it's necessary for achieving happiness in life.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

The Bible is not made up, but it doesn't prove God's existence. What it proves, is that long time ago, a bunch of people walked the earth and some were recorded. We also deny the possibility of God being able to walk the earth and write books, so we believe that humanity wrote it. We also cannot grasp the idea of God talking to people. Further, we know that when humans are involved, things tend to go wrong, so the Bible is no exception to that idea.

We believe in how we want our life to be, we are all expressing our selves. If you dedicate your life to God, then that is your path, but not everyone can or want that.

Personally, I think people should find themselves on their inside, and when they are clear about their own identity, then they should ask themselves if they believe in God, or not. If they do believe, then they can pick up a religion, but I don't think it's necessary for achieving happiness in life.

Knowing God has nothing to do with religion. It is only through a relationship with one's Maker, that one can truly know themselves--who they are. Everything worth knowing starts with knowing God, first.

Knowing God has nothing to do with religion. It is only through a relationship with one's Maker, that one can truly know themselves--who they are. Everything worth knowing starts with knowing God, first.

How are you to have a relationship with someone, without knowing yourself first? I believe you need to take a look inside, before adding things from the outside. And if you believe that God exists in everyone, then I don't think it's Christianity.

• Topic Count:  173
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,911
  • Content Per Day:  0.67
  • Days Won:  10

I can only speak for myself... The bible does prove the existance of more than a bunch of people walking around it proves civilizations which have been proven archeology. By your statement it seems you may think the bible is true? :th_praying: I doubt that you will find many christians who will deny that God could and did walk this earth and I do believe God through the Spirit set forth the writing of the bible, His word for us. I also do grasp the idea of God talking to people. I would think that anyone who thinks that men or humans get things right even part of the time are in denial of something! :thumbsup: I also believe that the Spirit leads one to the truth through the bible.

Tis true us humans would like to believe we are in charge of everything we do just some of us realized we couldn't go it alone I know I did. I know that through all my years searching for myself, finding myself on the inside as you put it and what I came up with was nothing but the knowledge that I was missing something, knowing that I needed God in the very center of my life. You see after all the years of getting that clear identity I finally knew I was not complete without God. As far as picking up a religion I didn't run out and get myself a religion, church or anything else like that. And no picking a religion won't achieve happiness for life I think thats just silly to think that getting religion or accepting God and Christ into your heart and life is any instant guarentee for life long happiness. We after all are humans who cannot govern ourselves without strife, anger, disappointment or any of the other emotions we all have. What I know for myself when I get down, depressed or any of those emotions I can call out to God or have a quiet talk with Him and my fears, depressing either fade away or they get better in many ways. What I also know is the peace, calm and joy that has crept into my heart each and everyday since accepting Christ and God into my life and I wouldn't trade or give that away for anything.

I can only speak for myself... The bible does prove the existance of more than a bunch of people walking around it proves civilizations which have been proven archeology. By your statement it seems you may think the bible is true? :th_praying: I doubt that you will find many christians who will deny that God could and did walk this earth and I do believe God through the Spirit set forth the writing of the bible, His word for us. I also do grasp the idea of God talking to people. I would think that anyone who thinks that men or humans get things right even part of the time are in denial of something! :thumbsup: I also believe that the Spirit leads one to the truth through the bible.

Tis true us humans would like to believe we are in charge of everything we do just some of us realized we couldn't go it alone I know I did. I know that through all my years searching for myself, finding myself on the inside as you put it and what I came up with was nothing but the knowledge that I was missing something, knowing that I needed God in the very center of my life. You see after all the years of getting that clear identity I finally knew I was not complete without God. As far as picking up a religion I didn't run out and get myself a religion, church or anything else like that. And no picking a religion won't achieve happiness for life I think thats just silly to think that getting religion or accepting God and Christ into your heart and life is any instant guarentee for life long happiness. We after all are humans who cannot govern ourselves without strife, anger, disappointment or any of the other emotions we all have. What I know for myself when I get down, depressed or any of those emotions I can call out to God or have a quiet talk with Him and my fears, depressing either fade away or they get better in many ways. What I also know is the peace, calm and joy that has crept into my heart each and everyday since accepting Christ and God into my life and I wouldn't trade or give that away for anything.

Hm. I don't deny the Bible, because that would be stupid. Of course people passed on a heritage, their ancestors' lives, who WOULD deny that?? But it still does NOT prove that God exists. I think you're missing the point. Just because someone says one thing, it doesn't mean anything, just like we read the Bible, the history part we don't deny, but the God part, we don't trust.

Well, if you didn't feel complete without God, then how would you have felt, if the Bible didn't exist (I assume you believe it is proof of God's existence)(Would you believe in God, without "proof")? Those are interesting questions I think.

All of those emotions you mention, are emotions caused by YOU, with a little push from your environment. How you handle those, depends on you alone. And who you are, you find within you, not outside.