IGNORED

Microsoft says next Windows won't be as annoying

ayin jade

Well, all those windows isn't nearly annoying as coming home to dos 5.0 and finding that your son for the second time in a month had typed (delete *.*) while in the root directory.

Ouch!

Didn't know anyone was still using Dos 5.0.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,185
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

Well, all those windows isn't nearly annoying as coming home to dos 5.0 and finding that your son for the second time in a month had typed (delete *.*) while in the root directory.

Ouch!

Didn't know anyone was still using Dos 5.0.

that was a few years ago.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  710
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  10/16/1984

Vista seems to be a very stable OS. I won't fault it for that. However, the two things I find annoying are constant pop-up screens that prompt you to give it permission for everything, and the fact that most of my favorite games, such as Civilization III won't run on it. I understand the need for upgraded OS's, but why can't they make them compatible with games designed for earlier platforms?

You can actually remove those pop up screens, just change your user control settings. As for Civ III, have you tried running it in compatibility mode?

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  630
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Birthday:  03/09/1990

XP is where it's at... and even then, computers bug me.

Ah well. Can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em...

• Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  825
  • Content Per Day:  0.13

You can actually remove those pop up screens, just change your user control settings. As for Civ III, have you tried running it in compatibility mode?

As WillingToDie mentioned the popups in Vista can easily be turned off. Go to control panel / user accounts / turn user account control on or off / then untick the little box and select the OK box...no more annoying popups. I have Vista stripped down so much its almost like Windows 98. :blink:

As for the game you can also try right clicking the launch icon and select 'Run as Administrator' , if you're only using one account. :emot-hug:

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  15
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

Vista seems to be a very stable OS. I won't fault it for that. However, the two things I find annoying are constant pop-up screens that prompt you to give it permission for everything, and the fact that most of my favorite games, such as Civilization III won't run on it. I understand the need for upgraded OS's, but why can't they make them compatible with games designed for earlier platforms?

Yeah! Vista just isn't compatible with a lot of other software. We had to run the new version of SPSS for a class I'm in and those with Vista just couldn't the program to work... It's too bad b/c I kinda liked the look of Vista. Glad I don't have it, though!

• Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  825
  • Content Per Day:  0.13

My favorite driving game, Need for Speed: Porsche Unleashed will run on Vista, but the car moves so slow, I could go take a nap while waiting for it to get anywhere. That somewhat hinders the feeling of "being there" unless by "being there" you mean in a parked car. . . :vader:

With pc games a lot of it will depend on the hardware as to how it runs (video card, amount of memory, cpu speed) are the main three. I didn't find a combo of hardware in a pc that I was looking for at my local store so I just ordered all the parts online and built the pc myself. I can say that with Vista 3gigs of memory makes quite a bit of difference in performance. I put 4gigs in mine but I'm not sure I'd ever use it all. My wife does a lot of photo editing and all so she might make use of it. :laugh: