Darling_Deedee

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  827
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  12,101
  • Content Per Day:  1.50
  • Days Won:  3

About five years ago I wrote a thread about head coverings called "For this cause ought a woman to have power on her head . . . because of the angels"

You might find it an interesting read.

Peace.

It is a blessing to read, brother. Thanks for the link. :emot-questioned:

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Biblicist
I simply think it's a clear picture of God's order. Our God is a God of order.

That makes sense. Thanks, Bibs. However, did Paul literally mean "he [man] is the image and glory of God; but the woman is the glory of man."? This says that women are not the image and glory of God, but we are merely the glory of man. I'm hoping Paul is merely laying out the order of things and nothing more.

I do not believe he meant that woman is not the image and glory of God, since elsewhere [Genesis 1:27] it says she is. Don't read too much into it, and don't take it out of the context of Scripture. Use Scripture to interpret Scripture. That's how it works. It's just amazing the way God did that! What a mighty God we serve!

Now I want you to realize that the head of every man is Christ, and the head of the woman is man, and the head of Christ is God.

It also says that the head of Christ is God, does that make Christ lower than God? What does it say elsewhere in the Bible about them being equal? They are equal, but each has separate roles. In order for God's will to be complete, God, Christ and the Holy Spirit have to fulfill certain roles, separate but equal roles. Marriage is the same way. Each has roles, separate but equal roles.

Ok, this is getting off topic. Sorry, didn't mean to hijack! :emot-questioned:

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,060
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  10/23/1970

I simply think it's a clear picture of God's order. Our God is a God of order.

That makes sense. Thanks, Bibs. However, did Paul literally mean "he [man] is the image and glory of God; but the woman is the glory of man."? This says that women are not the image and glory of God, but we are merely the glory of man. I'm hoping Paul is merely laying out the order of things and nothing more.

I do not believe he meant that woman is not the image and glory of God, since elsewhere [Genesis 1:27] it says she is. Don't read too much into it, and don't take it out of the context of Scripture. Use Scripture to interpret Scripture. That's how it works. It's just amazing the way God did that! What a mighty God we serve!

Now I want you to realize that the head of every man is Christ, and the head of the woman is man, and the head of Christ is God.

It also says that the head of Christ is God, does that make Christ lower than God? What does it say elsewhere in the Bible about them being equal? They are equal, but each has separate roles. In order for God's will to be complete, God, Christ and the Holy Spirit have to fulfill certain roles, separate but equal roles. Marriage is the same way. Each has roles, separate but equal roles.

Ok, this is getting off topic. Sorry, didn't mean to hijack! :emot-questioned:

Thanks, Bibs. That makes sense.

BTW, I hijacked it, but my questions were answered, so let's go back to our regularly scheduled thread.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  132
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

I enjoyed wearing a headcovering when the verse was pointed out to me. There is a group in town of "do-it-yourself" church people that really pushed this. (They had seen Pearl's book.) They were shown to be real hypocrites and DH actually asked us to stop wearing the headcoverings so that we were not associated with them. That's when I took a closer look at this passage and did what my DH asked me to do. I miss the headcovering since it was a nice reminder of the true meaning, not to mention the practicality, but I don't want to be a stumbling block.

Guest Biblicist

So what is the headcovering that women should/would wear. A simple hat, a baseball cap, a scarf? Is any one thing more acceptable over another? What is prefered?

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  827
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  12,101
  • Content Per Day:  1.50
  • Days Won:  3

Scarfs are great! Of course, my motive for saying tht might be because I look so dorky in a hat. :taped::24:

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Content Count:  2,791
  • Content Per Day:  0.37
  • Birthday:  06/13/1977

I have scarves personally.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  447
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Birthday:  10/26/1971

What does your culture dictate that women should wear as a covering? Westerners have no such traditions -- no way for a woman to show submission to her husband and/or God.

Paul's original readers would have known exactly what was acceptable. To impose Middle-Eastern, first-century customs on Christians today is beyond silly. Didn't Paul make it plain that this was not a Church custom or obligation?

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  4,052
  • Content Per Day:  0.53
  • Days Won:  5

What does your culture dictate that women should wear as a covering? Westerners have no such traditions -- no way for a woman to show submission to her husband and/or God.

Paul's original readers would have known exactly what was acceptable. To impose Middle-Eastern, first-century customs on Christians today is beyond silly. Didn't Paul make it plain that this was not a Church custom or obligation?

So, what was Paul saying,