• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  83
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,683
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  02/14/1962

In reference to yod's desire for a Hebrew reading, I agree. I've seen quite a few instances in the OT where the original Hebrew words had two meanings,and were used as a play on words. We miss that in the English. Shiloh62

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  128
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,704
  • Content Per Day:  0.44
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  10/08/1950

I was talking to my manager/preacher the other day, and he asked me to read a passage from Genesis about Adam needing a companion. I remember the NIV (which I always use) used the word "helper", and he asked me what translation I was using because his KJV used "help-meet". When I told him that I always use NIV, he told me that the NIV had over 3000 deletions from the KJV and that it was good only as a reference bible. Is there any truth to that or has anyone else ever heard anything similar? Shiloh62

I think the NIV is the best rendering of the Old Testament (headed up by Louis Goldberg of Moody Bible college) but I agree that the NEW Testament section is flawed as are all the other translations.

My favorite is the NASB but I read all the translations when studying.

It would be better to read the bible completely in hebrew. When I get someone who reads/understands hebrew to tell me what their bible says, it's always much deeper revelation than the english language can offer.

what is your opinion of the "Complete Jewish Bible " an english version by David H. Stern, published by, Jewish New Testament Publications, copyright 1998

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  62
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

I used to have a list of all the N.T verses omitted by the N.I.V which appear in KJV & NKJV. There are many of them, because KJV & NIV don't use same ancient manuscripts. The oldest manuscripts are used by NIV, but the Sinaiticus manuscripts show many signs of crossing out and then later re-insertion by scribes who copied them, and are in disagreement with Codex Vaticanus in a number of places.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  376
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Birthday:  01/30/1962

i read a few passages from the NIV once and I wouldn't recommend it for reading or reference.

i agree with hunter the word changes the thought train to me ,,, patato ,,, tater's means the same thing ,,, tuber root could be anything (just an example not in bible)

The Sinai texts & Codex Vaticanus & Alexandrian texts are used by NIV, the Sinai texts being the most ancient. But these texts are not necessarily more reliable than the Greek Received Texts used by the K.J.V & N.K.J.V. 85% agreement between all the texts, differences consist of omitted verses & slightly different words in some places. Being moulded

I believe the N.K.J.V is the most accurate translation, but I use the N.L.V for reading the O.T, because it deliberately translates the meanimg of many archaic phrases and words to bring out the meaning witihout having to constantly refer to commentaries.

Woops... I meant the N.L.T (New Living Translation) not N.l.V. Being moulded .

It really does not matter wiat the motive was for the K.J.V. The scholars used the same Received Text that was always used by the Greek Orthodox Church, and their dilligence is unsurpassed. The N.I.V is far inferior to the K.J.V, IMO. Being moulded.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,791
  • Content Per Day:  0.37
  • Birthday:  06/13/1977

This is my fav NKJV, NIV comparison. Notice that where God is seems to be left out in the NIV leaving it open ended for those who want to put God wherever.

Luk 11:2 So He said to them, "When you pray, say: Our Father in heaven, Hallowed be Your name. Your kingdom come. Your will be done On earth as it is in heaven.

Luk 11:3 Give us day by day our daily bread.

Luk 11:4 And forgive us our sins, For we also forgive everyone who is indebted to us. And do not lead us into temptation, But deliver us from the evil one."

NKJV

Luk 11:2 He said to them, "When you pray, say:

" 'Father,

hallowed be your name,

your kingdom come.

Luk 11:3 Give us each day our daily bread.

Luk 11:4 Forgive us our sins,

for we also forgive everyone who sins against us.

And lead us not into temptation.

NIV

LOLS, Colleenlovesmischief! I remember finding a number of places where the N.I.V translation was flawed enough to affect Christian doctrine, were it not for the other versions which are superior to it. I wonder sometimes how much priority was placed by its translators upon the accuracy of the written word of God while they sought to provide a modern English translation.