IGNORED

Aid to fund abortions.

Guest HIS girl

Guest HIS girl

The Courier Mail - (newspaper) article: Michael Madigan-Canberra (Capital Australia)

Thursday, February 5, 2009

Push for aid to fund abortions:

AUSTRALIA is the only country preventing foreign aid money from funding abortions for Third World women, according to the Australian Greens (Political party), who have begun a campaign to overturn the laws.

The party, describing the laws as draconian and archaic, yesterday urged the Federal Government to follow the lead of US President Barak Obama, who recently overturned a similar ban.

But the proposal has vocal opponents, including Queensland Nationals Senator Ron Boswell who says removing the ban would drain funding from life-saving services such as clean water, medicine and food.

"Which service would we have to cut in order to provide abortion service?" he asked.

"Medicine, a village well, food, birthing kits?"

Greens Senator Sarah Hanson-Young said the Labor Government had had 12 months to make a decision, while President Obama had acted swiftly.

Ary Laufer, executive officer for reproductive health group - Marie Stopes International Australia, said Australia was now the only country in the world to restrict its aid funding, resulting in the "unnecessary and preventable deaths of hundreds of women around the world".

"It is a disgrace that Australia is expecting women in developing countries, who live under circimstances of poverty and hardship, to not have the same rights as women in Australia," Ms Laufer said.

"These women are real women and by removing these guidelines they can be given real choices."

While the Government is believed to be considering overturning the ban, Senator Boswell said Prime Minister Kevin Rudd risked alienating the "many Church-goers" who had helped put Labor into office.

Guest HIS girl

I am not anti-US in anyway but it's occasions like this that annoy me. Just because a US President goes ahead with something - does that mean we all have to follow???? No.

Australia/Rudd G'vt - get a backbone and do the RIGHT thing....

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Amen, HisGirl!

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  156
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,454
  • Content Per Day:  0.48
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/02/1969

I hear ya. It's not enough that our "leaders" in the U.S. want to publicly fund abortions but many on the left, like our president, would like to fund abortions around the world with our tax dollars in spite of our national debt. So while we stifle population growth through abortions the left is working to relax immigration controls to make it easier for immigrants to fill the void. It seems they are self destructive and wanting to take us with them. This plays in with the "prince of peace" actually wanting the destruction of the world. They advocate unity and one world concepts but ultimately they will never be satisfied with who they are or what they have because they reject the one who can bring them lasting peace of mind and happiness.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,911
  • Content Per Day:  0.66
  • Days Won:  10

I am not anti-US in anyway but it's occasions like this that annoy me. Just because a US President goes ahead with something - does that mean we all have to follow???? No.

Its all about going global and trying to get the laws like this (and other laws) in some sort of agreement. Thats how I see it anyway.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  231
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0

Please read one of my first posts back when I joined WCF concerning what I feel about abortion. I'm sure some have already read it but for those who haven't - tell me if I'm wrong for not caring about anything medical, scientific or political behind the abortion debate.

What's important to me is the little one in my life truly represents God's grace and how he adopts us into his family! In fact, she, the little one, interupted my posting a reply in another forum this morning to remind me I had to get her to junior high school. Funny, I was listening to a christian radio station in my jeep while driving her to school that started out with the words... "I choose Christ... I choose LIFE!" :emot-hug:

Sorry to plant my reply that seems a little off base about the political issues but I wanted to put my $.02 in here. :emot-handshake:

• Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.09
  • Days Won:  78

I totally agree. All countries should follow their own citizens' wishes and not worry about being one of the global groupies. I'm not understanding how this works; so many of the third world countries in Africa and South Asia, a lot of whom are muslim majority, don't allow abortion at all. So what are they talking about? :emot-handshake:

Guest HIS girl

See our Prime Minister is Christian and many, many Christians voted his Gov't in last year- the Labor Party.

The majority of Christians won't be happy.

There are a lot of Aussies that see Australia as monkeying everything the US does - and there are other Aussies who feel we have come of age and can start making our own decisions. We are a young country, rich, our banks have stood well during this finacial downturn and we have a lot of homegrown resources.

Prime Minister Rudd is a smart cookie and I hope he uses his moral judgment in his political decisions. We'll see....only time will tell.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  83
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,683
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  02/14/1962

The Courier Mail - (newspaper) article: Michael Madigan-Canberra (Capital Australia)

Thursday, February 5, 2009

Push for aid to fund abortions:

AUSTRALIA is the only country preventing foreign aid money from funding abortions for Third World women, according to the Australian Greens (Political party), who have begun a campaign to overturn the laws.

The party, describing the laws as draconian and archaic, yesterday urged the Federal Government to follow the lead of US President Barak Obama, who recently overturned a similar ban.

But the proposal has vocal opponents, including Queensland Nationals Senator Ron Boswell who says removing the ban would drain funding from life-saving services such as clean water, medicine and food.

"Which service would we have to cut in order to provide abortion service?" he asked.

"Medicine, a village well, food, birthing kits?"

Greens Senator Sarah Hanson-Young said the Labor Government had had 12 months to make a decision, while President Obama had acted swiftly.

Ary Laufer, executive officer for reproductive health group - Marie Stopes International Australia, said Australia was now the only country in the world to restrict its aid funding, resulting in the "unnecessary and preventable deaths of hundreds of women around the world".

"It is a disgrace that Australia is expecting women in developing countries, who live under circimstances of poverty and hardship, to not have the same rights as women in Australia," Ms Laufer said.

"These women are real women and by removing these guidelines they can be given real choices."

While the Government is believed to be considering overturning the ban, Senator Boswell said Prime Minister Kevin Rudd risked alienating the "many Church-goers" who had helped put Labor into office.

I don't think Obama should be using our money to fund abortions at home OR abroad

Guest HIS girl

I totally agree. All countries should follow their own citizens' wishes and not worry about being one of the global groupies. I'm not understanding how this works; so many of the third world countries in Africa and South Asia, a lot of whom are muslim majority, don't allow abortion at all. So what are they talking about? :)

I'm guessing it must be aid to fund a "free" service and a hush hush service....the whole thing sounds very grim.

In the Third World countries - poverty would not allow for an abortion and the social stigma would stick once having one done - it is all a bit strange to say the least -