• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.22
  • Content Count:  4,274
  • Content Per Day:  4.71
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  06/03/1955

Satan is in control of the lost. He makes it offensive. We are required to tell the Truth, unchanged, but not necessarily in your face.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  66
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,050
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Birthday:  09/09/1952

My husband writes a weekly commentary which he emails to many people, and they are also carried on a few websites. He does not sugar-coat what he writes (sometimes I make him say things a little more tactful) but he is very strong in promoting a Biblical world view. He always supports his stance Biblically. It is very interesting to read the email comments he receives. Most who write to him are thankful that he speaks clearly and does not pull any punches. He supports his views Biblically. Some disagree, and when they do they don't support their beliefs from Scripture and they call him awful names!

From these emails I have discovered a some things. I find that many of the local churches (mine included) don't want to offend people by the Truth. Sermons are nice and contain a few jokes, but there is little in depth, faith defending preeaching going on. The congregation is fed milk, not meat. Also people are hungry for the pure word of God. He receives emails from all around the world, so this isn't a problem only in America. He always encourages people to study their Bible's and to use God's word as their standard.

<>< ><>

Nathele

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  186
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

Jesus called John the Baptist the greatest of men born of a women. He got his head chopped off because folks couldn't handle the truth. Jesus was slaughtered like a innocent lamb because folks couldn't handle the truth.

Two different styles the same message. Repent or perish. They both told the masses the same thing. The earth is under the wrath of Almighty God. The will of God is to believe his son.

Many folks would rather please man than please God. Man seems to love darkness and glorify it.

John the Baptist would have a field day if he had to walk on earth this day and age. People would call him homophobic and everything else. Jesus would have field day if he had to walk on earth this day and age. He got upset when the made his house into a market. It is more of a market now than it has ever been. What is done in this world in the name of Jesus is really, really sad.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  366
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,933
  • Content Per Day:  1.56
  • Days Won:  1

The gospel message itself may offend some, but we are not to be offensive because of our personalities, rudeness etc.

Is the message sure to offend most? Are we to be careful not to change the message to avoid offense?

There is probably "risk" on both sides of the equation. Softening the message to make it less offensive, or adding to it to make it more offensive

In my limited exerience, I have found most unbelievers to be offended not by the message of the gospel, but by the behavior of the bearers of the message

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.06
  • Days Won:  78

In my limited exerience, I have found most unbelievers to be offended not by the message of the gospel, but by the behavior of the bearers of the message

I don't think the atheists and others that rail against anything remotely connected with God are offended in the literal sense. They belong to satan and can't stand anything that bears His name so I guess that's taking offense; they want to bury any evidence of Him.......of course, they have no chance of succeeding but they don't know that.

I personally don't care who is offended by anything I say, write, or wear on my person that shows my belief in the Living God. :(

• Topic Count:  52
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,230
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Birthday:  05/03/1952

Th offense is what is contained in the Gospel. If the Gospel omits the depravity of man, the work and person of Jesus Christ, the sovereignty of God in everything, & the need of repentance toward God and faith in Jesus Christ it is the apostate gospel that Paul says results in anathema of the preacher. If it contains these things it will be offensive to the hearers that do not want to hear.

In Luke 4 the people were not offended until Jesus told them of the sovereignty of God and then those that heard Him sought to throw Him off the cliff.

Lu 4:22 And all bare him witness, and wondered at the gracious words which proceeded out of his mouth. And they said, Is not this Joseph

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  127
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,248
  • Content Per Day:  0.87

The very Word of God is offensive......

Christ preached a hard lesson, and people left, his diciples left, and then he turns to the 12 and asks them... and what about you guys?????? are you going to leave too??

if Gods Word does not step on your toes, some times every day, then something is wrong....... one of three things has happened.... one is you have become perfect....... another is that the preacher is no longer preaching the full truth...... and another is that your heart has become so cold, so hard, so numb that it no longer affects you......

well, the first is not going to happen on this earth during this life time....... otherwise some one other then Christ would be hanging on the cross...... so that leaves only two options..... our heart, or the preacher....... and if we are not feeling our toes being stepped on, maybe we need to just step back and re-examine ourselves to ensure our toes are not across the line, making sure we are toeing the line.......

anyways,

again, the very Word of God does offend....

mike

We are living the age of political correctness and relativism. But, Christianity is self-described as the uncompromised truth. Jesus prepared us for rejection and persecution. He in so many words says that you are defined by your enemies. Paul and Peter prepared their fellow believers that the world will mistreat you because of what you stand for and preach. If this is the way that it is, why are we re-directing our message to an approach that it is inoffensive, tolerant, and vague. We are not seeking truth but co-existence.

True Jesus had no problem with offending people nor did Paul, Peter or Steven. Here is one example.

Acts 7:51-53 (spoken by Steven to the Pharisees)

51 Ye stiffnecked and uncircumcised in heart and ears, ye do always resist the Holy Ghost: as your fathers did, so do ye.

52 Which of the prophets have not your fathers persecuted? and they have slain them which shewed before of the coming of the Just One; of whom ye have been now the betrayers and murderers:

53 Who have received the law by the disposition of angels, and have not kept it.

Of course we need to balance this with Paul's words to Timothy:

The Lord's slave must not quarrel, but must be gentle to everyone, able to teach, and patient, instructing his opponents with gentleness. Perhaps God will grant them repentance to know the truth. (2 Timothy 2:24-25 CSB)

and those of Peter:

...but set apart the Messiah as Lord in your hearts, and always be ready to give a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you. However, do this with gentleness and respect, keeping your conscience clear, so that when you are accused, those who denounce your Christian life will be put to shame. (1 Peter 3:15-16 CSB)

It is true that Jesus and some of the apostles had some pretty hard things to say to people. But we need to ask ourselves the question who those people were, and do we have same insight into people's hearts as they did (and the same authority)?

Whenever I feel the urge to let loose on someone, I try and ask myself the question why I feel the need to do it. Is it for their benefit or mine? Will they be helped by this, or will I just feel better. Will God be glorified, or will I? Will they be helped to take their next spiritual step, or will they be repulsed. Am I reflecting God accurately to them, or just my personality? I am not always successful at this, but that is my desire

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  196
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,343
  • Content Per Day:  0.22
  • Birthday:  12/03/1964

Scripture identifies us in our natural state as "enemies of God". So therefore, we are opposed to righteousness and anything or anyone who identifies us or exposes our self-centered agenda.