• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  375
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  11,400
  • Content Per Day:  1.44
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/14/1971

I was prompted by a couple of our members to do a study on the typology of the items of the New Jerusalem. For those of you who are not familiar with the term, typology is the study of "types" in the Bible.

I received a Private Message in response to a thread on the New Jerusalem. The thread addressed the issue of whether the New Jerusalem was a literal city. Following is the initial question and my response. I will use my reponse to this poster as a kind of springboard to getting into the deatils of the construction of the city, and its dimensions. But first I would like to acknowledge that some of my material will be coming directly from the footnotes of the Recovery Version Bible (http://online.recoveryversion.org/index1.asp), which has helped me greatly to see the significances of the types of the New Jerusalem. In addition to the use of the footnotes I will also be using (of course) the bible itself, and perhaps a few other references, such as Strong's. We will take this study a few verses at a time, or one verse at a time, depending on how the Lord leads. Take note that I will not be able to add to this thread on a daily basis. So you may find yourself waiting a day or two for further additions. You may feel free to respond to this thread. However, let us try to keep our reponses on topic, and free from any differences of opinion that could easilly lead to argumentation. Remember that this is a study on types, and not a doctrinal dissertation.

Let us begin with the question posed to me via PM, and see where the Lord leads from there:

Your post in the new Jerusalem thread got me to thinkin mr smarty-pants.

I'm curious because I've been really looking at the ephod and breastplates for the priests. The same gem theme is carried out throughout scripture.

Exd 39

The Ephod

5 "They shall take the gold, blue, purple, and scarlet thread, and the fine linen, 6 and they shall make the ephod of gold, blue, purple, and scarlet thread, and fine woven linen, artistically worked. 7 It shall have two shoulder straps joined at its two edges, and so it shall be joined together. 8 And the intricately woven band of the ephod, which is on it, shall be of the same workmanship, made of gold, blue, purple, and scarlet thread, and fine woven linen.

9 "Then you shall take two onyx stones and engrave on them the names of the sons of Israel: 10 six of their names on one stone and six names on the other stone, in order of their birth. 11 With the work of an engraver in stone, like the engravings of a signet, you shall engrave the two stones with the names of the sons of Israel. You shall set them in settings of gold. 12 And you shall put the two stones on the shoulders of the ephod as memorial stones for the sons of Israel. So Aaron shall bear their names before the Lord on his two shoulders as a memorial. 13 You shall also make settings of gold, 14 and you shall make two chains of pure gold like braided cords, and fasten the braided chains to the settings.

The Breastplate

(Ex. 39:8-21)

15 "You shall make the breastplate of judgment. Artistically woven according to the workmanship of the ephod you shall make it: of gold, blue, purple, and scarlet thread, and fine woven linen, you shall make it. 16 It shall be doubled into a square: a span shall be its length, and a span shall be its width. 17 And you shall put settings of stones in it, four rows of stones: The first row shall be a sardius, a topaz, and an emerald; this shall be the first row; 18 the second row shall be a turquoise, a sapphire, and a diamond; 19 the third row, a jacinth, an agate, and an amethyst; 20 and the fourth row, a beryl, an onyx, and a jasper. They shall be set in gold settings. 21 And the stones shall have the names of the sons of Israel, twelve according to their names, like the engravings of a signet, each one with its own name; they shall be according to the twelve tribes.

Now, tell me all you know.

There are three consistent "threads" that move throughout the Bible, from Genesis to Revelation. If you take a look at Genesis 2:10-12 there is a river which branches into four rivers, and there are precious stones there that appear to be scattered. In the garden there was also the tree of life. So these three things, the river, the tree of life, and the precious stones, are the three elements that begin in Genesis and proceed throughout the Scriptures, until you get to Revelation. In the New Jerusalem all of these things are there, but they are not separate. They are built together into God

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  827
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  12,101
  • Content Per Day:  1.50
  • Days Won:  3

Excellent God-man!

more more more more more more

:( When you get time that is. :P

• Thumbs Up 1

Verses: Rev. 21:2; 9-11

Many believers today see the Jew Jerusalem as a physical city. They equate the New Jerusalem with the

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  232
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  7,261
  • Content Per Day:  0.96
  • Birthday:  12/19/1959

EXCELLENT Beau.

This one, I will share with my wife. :rolleyes:

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  1,285
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  17,917
  • Content Per Day:  2.27
  • Days Won:  19

Beau,

Go man go. :( I'll be printing this one. :il:

Peace,

Dave

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  27
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  658
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Birthday:  10/01/1965

I like this study!!

Thanks!!

Yukon :o

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,399
  • Content Per Day:  0.43
  • Days Won:  1

We need to see that the New Jerusalem is not merely a physical city with a golden street; but that it is a corporate Bride composed of all the redeemed, regenerated, transformed, conformed, and glorified saints of God, who have been built together as living stones to be a mutual habitation, a tabernacle, of God and man (Rev. 21:3; 1 Pet. 2:5). Without this revelation of the New Jerusalem it will be hard for us to appreciate the many deep significances of the items that compose the holy city.

Revelation 21

24And the nations of those who are saved shall walk in its light, and the kings of the earth bring their glory and honor into it. 25Its gates shall not be shut at all by day (there shall be no night there). 26And they shall bring the glory and the honor of the nations into it. 27But there shall by no means enter it anything that defiles, or causes an abomination or a lie, but only those who are written in the Lamb's Book of Life.

There is no way that the city is a symbolic representation of the saved of mankind. they cannot be the city itself and also be bringing their glory and hounor into it If only those written in the lambs Book of Life can enter it, then it cannot be those written into the book of life.

All Praise The Ancient of Days

• Thumbs Up 1

We need to see that the New Jerusalem is not merely a physical city with a golden street; but that it is a corporate Bride composed of all the redeemed, regenerated, transformed, conformed, and glorified saints of God, who have been built together as living stones to be a mutual habitation, a tabernacle, of God and man (Rev. 21:3; 1 Pet. 2:5). Without this revelation of the New Jerusalem it will be hard for us to appreciate the many deep significances of the items that compose the holy city.

Revelation 21

24And the nations of those who are saved shall walk in its light, and the kings of the earth bring their glory and honor into it. 25Its gates shall not be shut at all by day (there shall be no night there). 26And they shall bring the glory and the honor of the nations into it. 27But there shall by no means enter it anything that defiles, or causes an abomination or a lie, but only those who are written in the Lamb's Book of Life.

There is no way that the city is a symbolic representation of the saved of mankind. they cannot be the city itself and also be bringing their glory and hounor into it If only those written in the lambs Book of Life can enter it, then it cannot be those written into the book of life.

All Praise The Ancient of Days

We will get into the significances of these verses later in the study. Since this is a study forum, we will not pursue any kind of debate here. :o

• Thumbs Up 1

Rev. 21:11:

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  827
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  12,101
  • Content Per Day:  1.50
  • Days Won:  3

(Ex. 39:8-21)

15 "You shall make the breastplate of judgment. Artistically woven according to the workmanship of the ephod you shall make it: of gold, blue, purple, and scarlet thread, and fine woven linen, you shall make it. 16 It shall be doubled into a square: a span shall be its length, and a span shall be its width. 17 And you shall put settings of stones in it, four rows of stones: The first row shall be a sardius, a topaz, and an emerald; this shall be the first row; 18 the second row shall be a turquoise, a sapphire, and a diamond; 19 the third row, a jacinth, an agate, and an amethyst; 20 and the fourth row, a beryl, an onyx, and a jasper. They shall be set in gold settings. 21 And the stones shall have the names of the sons of Israel, twelve according to their names, like the engravings of a signet, each one with its own name; they shall be according to the twelve tribes.

I am very much enjoying this study, and I certainly don't want to sidetrack you in any way, but I would like to ask a question here. In the verse concerning the Ephod, the instructions were clear to engrave the names of the tribes of Israel in the order of their birth. In the above scripture, concerning the breastplate, the stones are set also with the names of Israel. Is this according to their birth as well? If so then is it fair to say that Reuben, the firstborn, is the sardius, and so on?

And does this have bearing on the layers of the foundation? The order of birth, I mean?

:D Sorry! I have wayyyyy too many questions!

• Thumbs Up 1