IGNORED

Church of Jesus Christ and the Latter Day Saints

Guest Butero
Thank you Believer!!!!!!!

That was the info I also learned, and since I moved from Fla. I don't have anymore of my books with me.

I also was going to recommend "Kingdom of the Cults" but couldn't remember the name of the author.

I appreciate the information Believer gave us as well. She gave us the names of the additional books the Mormons teach from. In addition to the King James Bible and Book of Mormon, she mentioned "The Pearl Of Great Price" and "Doctrines Of Covenants." Again, the thing that is strange to me is that the books contradict each other. Of course, the Mormon Church never mentions any of their materials outside the Book of Mormon and King James Bible, so the average person wouldn't be aware of the other books, but what about the insiders? They would have to see the way one book is contrary to the other. :emot-pray:

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  106
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/20/1990

Thanks all for your replies. I've got a lot of questions for the elders now. At the end of the day, all i want to do is to find truth and if there is any chance at all that joseph smith was a prophet from God then i want to explore it. Please pray that God reveals to me whether or not Joseph Smith was a prophet or not and which path i should follow. I've backslidden hundreds of times but i want to have an intimate eternal relationship with our Lord and i'll explore every route until God tells me "This is it, this is what i want you to follow, this is the truth". I believe that the bible from genesis to revelations is the word of God, no doubt, im a bit unsure now about the mormon books after what you have said, i'll look further into the matter, do some research and pray. And ask for answers to all these interesting arguments from the elders.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  591
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Birthday:  11/27/1979

Hi all, i went to a different church gathering yesterday, i was invited by a mormon to attend their church gathering and i went. I have to say the church of the latter day saints is so filled with love and unity i became interested. This elder who's been helping me learn more about it called Elder Evans gave me a copy of the book of mormon. Anyway, i knew it was God who put me in the path of the mormon, he definately wanted me to attend that church (Well it wasn't in the church because thats only just bin completed, goin to the proper one next week), when i was there i felt the holy ghost from head to toe, there all such loving caring people. I've decided to join the church of Jesus Christ and the Latter Day Saints. I believe that Jesus Christ did visit America shortly after his ressurection. I mean, the book of mormon has characteristics of other books from prophets found in the holy bible. E.g. prophecies, similar subjects. The book of mormon even prophecied about the civil war in america between the northern and southern states.

Anyhow, I just wanted to ask what you guys think of the book of mormon and the church of Jesus Christ of the Latter Day Saints. Yesterday was the best church meeting i've ever been to, i mean, we even did bible talks afterwards and discussed the second coming. I've found one thread on worthy that mentions mormons but they seem to put them in a bad light. i mean. why? How do you know that Joseph Smith wasn't a prophet?

Thanks. any replies appreciated.

Hi Mighty,

In many ways I can relate with what you are saying. When I was searching into other Faiths, the Mormons did strike out at me as a very inviting group. The friendliness of those who I spoke to while I was hearing about Joseph Smith amazed me, and I probably nearly did become a Mormon. In the end I think the thing that pushed me away was the lack of space the Elders gave me in deciding - I took their little introduction course and even though I hadn't made up my mind, the Elders who I spoke to were all ready to organise a baptism for me.

In the years since, as I have grown in my Christian life, I have found things that the book of Mormon teaches that go against the Bible. It has been my experience that Mormons chalk this inconsistency up to errors in transmission of the Bible (the good ol' "how do we know that the Bible says what it originally said" argument). This has always baffled me, since the very opening paragraph in my introduction to the Book of Mormon states that the book of Mormon is a Holy Text on par with the Bible.

I have come to realise that Mormons accept what the Bible says only insofar as it agrees with the book of Mormon, and where it does not agree, it has been corrupted by human transmission. For me, that raised red flags as to the ultimate worth of the book of Mormon. It may contain moral lessons, and the followers at church may be a warm and caring bunch, but when it comes to what they actually teach about our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, that is what is worth looking into further.

I'm not going to tell you what you should and should not believe (that will likely push you away from anything I say) - but it is definitely something that you should look into on your own before you make a decision that could affect your spiritual growth.

All the best, :emot-pray:

~ PA

Guest Butero
My only point is this:

The Book of Mormon, Another Testament of Jesus Christ

I'm pretty sure that God commands against adding to His word, and Paul warned against 'other' Gospels, similar to this one. It's make-believe and fairy tales, my friend.

The Book Of Mormon addresses this in 2 Nephi 29. They first state that many gentiles (like you and I) would reject this book saying we already have a Bible. It then goes on to call us fools in verse 6, and goes on to say in verse 8

Wherefore murmer ye, because that ye shall receive more of my word? Know ye not that the testimony of two nations is a witness unto you that I am God, that I remember one nation like unto another? Wherefore, I speak the same words unto one nation like unto another. And when the two nations shall run together the testimony of the two nations shall run together also.

Notice however that the BOM states that God speaks the same words unto one nation like unto the other. If that is the case, the two should be in agreement. The BOM is not as far out as the additional teachings of Joseph Smith the Latter Day Saints teach from, but it is obvious the LDS are not teaching the same doctrine found in the cannon of scripture. Also, if this book is simply teaching the same doctrines to another nation, why is it so important to have it? You could say we would be privy to some additional information, but it wouldn't be of such a critical nature, all other churches would be false.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  562
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  2,074
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  05/31/1966

Thanks all for your replies. I've got a lot of questions for the elders now. At the end of the day, all i want to do is to find truth and if there is any chance at all that joseph smith was a prophet from God then i want to explore it. Please pray that God reveals to me whether or not Joseph Smith was a prophet or not and which path i should follow. I've backslidden hundreds of times but i want to have an intimate eternal relationship with our Lord and i'll explore every route until God tells me "This is it, this is what i want you to follow, this is the truth". I believe that the bible from genesis to revelations is the word of God, no doubt, im a bit unsure now about the mormon books after what you have said, i'll look further into the matter, do some research and pray. And ask for answers to all these interesting arguments from the elders.

Please do pray about it, test the spirits and, do some big research, and let the God lead you. Remember many will say Jesus is son of God, but we know Jesus is God :emot-pray:

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  913
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  12/02/1969

Thank you Believer!!!!!!!

That was the info I also learned, and since I moved from Fla. I don't have anymore of my books with me.

I also was going to recommend "Kingdom of the Cults" but couldn't remember the name of the author.

I appreciate the information Believer gave us as well. She gave us the names of the additional books the Mormons teach from. In addition to the King James Bible and Book of Mormon, she mentioned "The Pearl Of Great Price" and "Doctrines Of Covenants." Again, the thing that is strange to me is that the books contradict each other. Of course, the Mormon Church never mentions any of their materials outside the Book of Mormon and King James Bible, so the average person wouldn't be aware of the other books, but what about the insiders? They would have to see the way one book is contrary to the other. :emot-pray:

Your right Butero!!!! They give outsiders a small portion of what they believe, things that are not easily discredited, but once your indoctrinated and brainwashed they begin to filter in all the other garbage.

It's typical of satan, entice someone with the "good stuff" then once your truly stuck he reveals all his true colors.

Guest Butero

You struck me as someone seeking truth, which is why I wanted to discuss what I knew about the LDS, rather than write you off as just another member of a cult trying to convert us. If you believe the Bible is the Word of God, and you believe in the diety of Christ, you should find the answers to your questions about whether or not the LDS are in the truth. I hope you don't give up on God. He is well able to lead you to a good Bible believing church.

God bless you brother, and I pray God will help you. I guarantee you that those people you are going to speak with tonight will do their best to persuade you to stop hanging out here, and will also tell you we are deceived. Ultimately, you will have to decide who is telling you the truth. Just don't let these men cause you to stop seeking outside of their little group.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  6,363
  • Content Per Day:  1.12
  • Days Won:  9

I have some wonderful Mormon friends and they are kind and gracious and have not tried to indoctrinate me. My daughter had a 'special' friend who was Mormon and asked her to go to 'church' with him. I knew some of the things that Mamma (who had been raised by some Mormons) told me and I was worried. I asked someone here (I will not reveal his name, because I have not spoken to him about this yet). HE is the one who gave me the benefit of his years of research... I just took his information and confirmed it. I have told him I posted it and if he wants to speak to it - listen. He's a very wise man of God.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  591
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Birthday:  11/27/1979

If it is a false religion, why was i filled with the holy ghost when i went to that church meeting
far be it from me to question your spiritual experiences, but I do not think it is possible to ever give a set of feelings that one should feel when being "filled with the holy spirit/holy ghost". There are many experiences we go through in life that cause us to become excited and filled with joy and gain great insight into - maybe it's the Holy Spirit, maybe it's just your own mind learning something new and exciting. While the Bible does promise us the Holy Spirit and I do believe that many of us do experience the Holy Spirit at one time or another (I can only really recall one event in my life where the Holy Spirit really did take hold), I think if we all looked rationally at what happens in our own lives, much of the time it might just be our own mind becoming excited at the material we are learning and engaging in.

Just a thought :emot-pray:

~ PA

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  4,492
  • Content Per Day:  0.61
  • Days Won:  18

MightyIsTheLord ... I will not beat about the bush, you are a vulnerable person (you have admitted as much in your ups and downs life) and now at this particular moment in your life you are prepared to entertain some cult members, in the hope that you will find the answer to your desire to be a good and faithful person and to serve Jesus our Saviour and Messiah, and get some stability in your walk with G-d.

You are entertaining wolves in sheeps clothing, and the Devil wants to sift you like wheat.

They may well be kind people and seem to be loving and attentive, but do not be fooled, they want to ensnare you in a bundle of lies that seems right, but is far removed from the gospel of the Kingdom. Behind the facade and the teaching there are spirits of deception and confusion that will assault you when you open yourself up to receiving what you might perceive as 'good teaching'.

Feelings can be mis-leading, and what you sensed as the Holy Spirit was definately not the Holy Spirit because we walk by faith and not by feelings, and the Holy Spirit would never endorse false-hood, and we have brothers and sisters and people in leadership to turn to and ask help and guidence from, and above all we have the Word of G-d, the Bible.

If you can cancel the meeting I suggest you do so...if not and you have a STRONG christian friend who knows their bible well, then ask them to come along as well.

They get many recruits from the ranks of the weak, or those who are not familiar with their teachings...with all my heart I plead with you to take some brotherly advice, and run from these teachings and from these priests of error.

In real concern. In Messiah. Botz