• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  27
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  378
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  08/06/1967

A friend of mine sent me the video when Susan Boyle first sang at British Got Talent.

I think what made the video unforgettable was not so much when Susan Boyle sang the way she did, but more so how the people reacted even before she sang.

When she said she wanted to be like the famous singer (I forgot who), you see eyes rolled and eyebrows raised. Simon Cowell made a face, and the other judges sighed. All these even before she sang. So that showed you they somehow judged her even before she made her performance.

And then she sang, and everyone was blown away. Because given the initial reactions, that was completely unexpected.

And then came news about her poor background, etc, etc, which has gained her more support, if not sympathy.

But I am really happy for her. It is always heart warming to know when one's longtime dream is finally coming true. If there's anything I admire about her, at 48, her dreams are as alive as ever. She has not given up.

South :emot-questioned:

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  1.99
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

Susan Boyle has been admitted to a British hospital for exhustion and mental problems. One of the kids broke down and wept during her own performance.

Whats that say about programs like this, and the way contestants are chosen? Should there be some sort of screening of a persons ability to handle stress, losing, or winning for that matter?

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

I was thinking late last night . . .

Why are we arguing over this?

The whole point is ENTERTAINMENT. As the discussion on Diversity has shown, different people have different ideas on what is entertaining and what is not. (OK, when that little kid did that flip over the whole group - wow! . . . but that's me.)

So when we see these contestants up on stage, we are not just evaluating their talent but also how much their performance personally entertains us. And face it, if you don't like it, you aren't going to be entertained no matter how good the person is.

So as far as Susan Boyle goes, the bottom line to your opinion is what she did for you - Were you entertained? Were your emotions stirred positively? Or not?

So really, we are just arguing over the entertainment value we got out of her.

And that's about as pointless as arguing over whether a piano is better than a guitar. Or whether red is better than blue. Or whatever.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  24
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  3,292
  • Content Per Day:  0.52
  • Days Won:  0

I think for some of us its just nice to be debating about something absolutely meaningless...lol.

So as far as Susan Boyle goes, the bottom line to your opinion is what she did for you - Were you entertained? Were your emotions stirred positively? Or not?

That's probably my problem. Nothing "entertains" me unless it is something which has never been done before. Not much of that around anymore.

It seems like every decade since the 1920s had some artist who is the cutting-edge leader. Who would that be since Nirvana? I'm not a fan but they did lead a movement of grunge rock.

Who has taken the lead since then? Maybe Coldplay??? They're just another U2 clone...which is better than all the Pearl Jam clones we had for about 10 years there.

And that's about as pointless as arguing over whether a piano is better than a guitar. Or whether red is better than blue. Or whatever.

A guitar IS better than a piano.

Just an undeniable fact of life.... :laugh:

Blue is much better than red :laugh:

• Topic Count:  1,360
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  7,866
  • Content Per Day:  1.23
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/18/1946

Blue is much better than red :laugh:

Here in the US, red is better than blue, at least when it comes to states (politically). :24:

Guest LadyC
That's probably my problem. Nothing "entertains" me unless it is something which has never been done before. Not much of that around anymore.

well, at least you admit you have a problem, that's the first step in the road to recovery! :laugh:

"Here in the US, red is better than blue, at least when it comes to states (politically)"

Forgive my lack of political understanding kat. To one as uneducated as me, that could be understood to mean that you are a bunch of communists :taped::blink:

I'll stick to blue :blink: Isn't it nice to have an uplifting theological discussion every now and again :blink: