• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  283
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/01/1983

I went on vacation with my folk's, and they wanted to visit De Smet, SD to see Laura Engalls childrenhood home, now before this I was never a fan of "Little House on the Prairie" but after seeing her home, I have become a big fan. Talk them both into going to Walnut Grove MN also, so I was wondering anyother "Little House on the Prairie" fans on Worthy? I just found it very interesting to hear how the American Pioneers had to worked so hard just to survive.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

I read the Little House series when I was younger. I do highly recommend them for older children/early teens to read (or adults who like reading books from the Juvenile section . . . nothing wrong with that BTW, they can be good stories).

Unlike the TV series, the family lived in several places, Walnut Grove being only one of them. The Little House on the Prairie was actually in somewhere in Kansas and not the Walnut Grove home.

The characters of Laura, Mary, Ma, and Nellie were close to accurate portrayals of the real people in the books I thought. But Pa and Mr. Edwards were most definitely nothing like the real men! Both were rugged mountain men, only Charles Ingalls was tempered by having a family. Mr. Edwards was actually a small man with a wildfire personality. Mr. and Mrs. Oleson were barely mentioned in the books. Oh - and Rev. Aldwin was actually a Methodist circuit rider preacher.

That's my take.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  6,363
  • Content Per Day:  1.12
  • Days Won:  9

I read her books as a child and loved the t.v. series also. I still enjoy watching the re-runs!!

• Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  269
  • Content Per Day:  0.04

I read the Little House series when I was younger. I do highly recommend them for older children/early teens to read (or adults who like reading books from the Juvenile section . . . nothing wrong with that BTW, they can be good stories).

I loved the series as a young girl but also pulled the books back out and re-read them in my early 30's. I enjoyed them even more. My children were young, life seemed difficult and money was tight. After I read the books again, I realized just how much I had and how easy life was now in comparison to the old days at Walnut Grove!

They are a great read!

• Content Count:  2,050
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Birthday:  09/09/1952

I live fairly close to Mansfield, MO, where she and "Manly" moved to after they were married. This is where the books were written and where Laura and Almanzo lived out their lives. I really like their house! Their daughter built them another house near the first house and insisted that they move there, but Laura never liked the new house and eventually moved back to the original one that she an Almanzo first built. I enjoy going there, and they really haven't made a "tourist trap" out of it. There is a museum/store, and a guided tour of both houses. "Pa's fiddle" is there and they have a festival there once a year and bring out the fiddle for someone to play. That's nice.

They were tough people who were able to survive many hardships....and still keep their faith in God.

<>< ><>

Nathele

Guest shiloh357

Unlike the TV series, the family lived in several places, Walnut Grove being only one of them. The Little House on the Prairie was actually in somewhere in Kansas and not the Walnut Grove home.

The characters of Laura, Mary, Ma, and Nellie were close to accurate portrayals of the real people in the books I thought. But Pa and Mr. Edwards were most definitely nothing like the real men! Both were rugged mountain men, only Charles Ingalls was tempered by having a family. Mr. Edwards was actually a small man with a wildfire personality. Mr. and Mrs. Oleson were barely mentioned in the books. Oh - and Rev. Aldwin was actually a Methodist circuit rider preacher.

That's my take.

The Hallmark Channel did a movie and what you describe fits the movie very well. Though they did find girl to play Laura that reminded me of the girl (Melissa Gilbert) that played Laura on the TV series version.

• Topic Count:  30
  • Content Count:  283
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Birthday:  04/01/1983

That's my take.

Yea Nebula that is what we were told at the De Smet and Maple Grove site. We were also told they moved in the Winter months when it was freezing cold so the further up north they where they could cross the rivers, when they were ice. The tour guide in De Smet say Mary was never married. We where also told about Laura's daughter Rose she was quiite a character very patriotic and intelligent.

Rose told a new immigrant to the United States, who was trying to sell her something no, because he made the mistake of complaining about America. She told him if she had the money she would buy him a one way ticket to Lativia I believe it was his old home. Her husband was going to buy something from him but she wouldn't let him.

We need that kind of love for country again.

• Content Count:  2,050
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Birthday:  09/09/1952

Rose Wilder Lane, Laura's daughter, wrote books, too. Here is a link to the house and museum located in Missouri: http://www.lauraingallswilderhome.com/

The area I lived for the first 40 years of my life was in California's Mother Lode region. Many movies where shot in the area, and they filmed much of Little House on the Prairie near to the town I worked. Whenever the plot called for a court appearance they used the court house in the town where I worked. At lunchtime I would go and watch. I've got to tell you Michael Landon was such a nice man. Very kind. Other movies where shot there, too, but the director's were always angry at the locals and yelled, but Michael Landon would just calmly say "We're shooting now, so could everyone be quite for a few minutes". After the shooting they always took time to talk to us if they coulc.

<>< ><>

Nathele

• Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  326
  • Content Per Day:  0.06

I've been getting more interested in American pioneer history as well. It's fascinating.