~Shalhevet~

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  334
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  2,049
  • Content Per Day:  0.38
  • Days Won:  4

Is it wrong to take medication for a mental illness?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,791
  • Content Per Day:  0.37
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  06/13/1977

I took it for many years. I don't see why it would be a problem, other than watch out for some of the side effects.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  24
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  3,292
  • Content Per Day:  0.52

Problem is...the medications don't help with mental illness. They are mind-altering substances. Its one thing to take a medication for a known health issue...its quite another to take a drug to cover a problem by making you act differently. It has been proven time after time that therapy and placebos work more effectively than ANY so-called psychotropic drug.

With that said...it is quite difficult to tell someone who is desperate for help to not try a drug that makes them feel better.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  98
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,260
  • Content Per Day:  0.23

Blessings asecretchord:

While psychotrophic medications for the most part are mind altering drugs with serious and sometimes life threatening side effects, it would be impossible for some people to live a normal life without them.

I touched on this some in another thread, but it is also applicable to your question, and relates to psychosis. Psychosis is probably the worst of mental illness.

The Holy Scriptures speak of many mental anomalies. Some are unclean spirits and some are of the devil. I have listed just a few below.

I John 4:1 Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God:

Luke 11:24 Jesus said When the unclean spirit is gone out of a man, he walketh through dry places, seeking rest; and finding none, he saith, I will return unto my house whence I came out.

Of Jesus, the Holy Scriptures testify that:

Matthew 4:24 And his fame went throughout all Syria: and they brought unto him all sick people that were taken with divers diseases and torments, and those which were possessed with devils, and those which were lunatic, and those that had the palsey; and he healed them.

palsy is the greatest weakness of the body, possession of the devil, which is the greatest misery and calamity of both

lunatic here means crazy which is the greatesy malady of the mind known in the medical field as psychosis

σεληνιάζομαι

selēniazomai

sel-ay-nee-ad'-zom-ahee

Middle or passive voice from a presumed derivative of G4582; to be moon struck, that is, crazy: - be lunatic.

Many people, even those that love the Lord, have developed psychosis after severe head trauma, or brain disease such as viral encephalitis, menningitis, brain cancer, etc, or some traumatic emotional event in their lives, etc., so there are other reasons for the cause of psychosis besides demons and the devil.

I think today too many doctors and teachers are in too much of a hurry to prescribe a pill today to cover up a problem that can be solved through behaviour modification therapy, or just letting a child be a child to work out his excess energy so he doesn't have to "act out" in school, especially in the case of children who are prescribed Ritalin for ADD.

I don't think there is a pill that can make anyone happy. When the pill wears off, the underlying problem is still there so you have to take another pill. One cause of depression is said to be caused by unresolved anger turned inward or at self. Sin comes to my mind here. King David suffered from depression as in evidenced in some of the psalms he wrote. Depression is a fact of life and most everyone suffers from it at one time or another in their life, and it usually runs its course. The world is full of evil and saddness, but Jesus said Be of good cheer I have overcome the world. True happiness is found in knowing Jesus and reading His word ;)

A very good biblical scripture to keep your mind free of depression I recommend and one of my favorites is found in Philippians

Rejoice in the Lord alway: and again I say, Rejoice.

Let your modeeration be known unto all men. The Lord is at hand.

Be careful for nothing; but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving

let your requests be made known to God.

And the peace of God which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true,

whatsoever things are honest,

whatsoever things are pure,

whatsoever things are lovely,

whatsoever things are of good report;

if there be any virtue,

and if there be any praise,

think on these things.4:4-8

With your more serious mental disorders, such as psychosis, with the advance of psychotrophic medicine and therapy some people can live normal lives today, even so, all praise and honor goes to Jesus Christ, the giver of all good things.

Nikki

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  1,901
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  29

NO IT'S NOT WRONG TO TAKE MEDS FOR DEPRESSION. I TOOK IT FOR MANY YEARS. I MUST ADMIT, ONCE I BEGAN TO ASK FOR HEALING, I FOUND THAT THE NEED WENT AWAY. IT WASN'T AN OVER NIGHT THING. I HAVE FOUND OUT, AS I ASKED GOD FOR HEALING, I HAD TO ALSO ACCEPT MY HEALING.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  447
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Birthday:  10/26/1971

Axxman is a real thorn in the flesh ;) Instead of being completely wrong this time, he could be on to something. Antidepressants are not for everyone.

Scientists don't know how these drugs work exactly, and I believe at least one study showed that placebo worked as well as Prozac.

They don't know exactly how aspirin works either so that is not a bigee. I think you have to try one of them and see if it helps you. The drugs do help people live a normal life and feel better. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

I take beta blockers for high blood pressure. One could make the case that these types of drugs are mind altering too. But if you lived inside my head, you would know, my mind needs to be altered :emot-questioned:

God bless and try those meds. They might help.

Edited by KC02

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  4,568
  • Content Per Day:  0.68

'asecretchord' date='Aug 17 2009,

No, it is not wrong IMO it's an illness like all the other illnesses one can get sick in the mind and need help. And as with all medications you have to pay attention for any of the side effects you may experience.

:emot-questioned: I got a pill that can cure anything you got!!! it's called the Gospel (pill) ;)

oc

.... Is it wrong to take medication ....

No

>>>>>()<<<<<

Medication For The Soul

Rejoice evermore.

Pray without ceasing.

In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.

1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

Starts And Ends With The LORD Jesus

The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.

He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.

He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.

Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.

Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.

Psalms 23

No, but as some others have stated, pay close attention to the side effects. Some meds have them, others don't.

• Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  6,363
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Days Won:  9

No - I do not think it is not wrong to take medications for mental illness. There are those who believe that they have no effect on psychiatric problems, but I do not believe that. I worked for psychiatrists for many years and have studied patients who have experienced many different kinds of mental illnesses and many of them have been able to live normally on medications. Psychiatropic drugs can have some difficult side effects, so it is very important to take the meds exactly as prescribed and to have regular follow-ups with your doctor. In recent years it has been found that some mild anti-depressants have amazing results on neuropathic pain - like RLS (Restless Leg Syndrome), Poly Rheumatica, Fibromyalgia, etc. It was a pleasant finding to find something that helps these very painful conditions. If you are experiencing mental health issues, you should see a professional. God Bless you!!