GodPreciousChild

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  52
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

In the Bible it says in Genesis that Noah lived to be 950 years old, how is this possible?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  955
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  11,318
  • Content Per Day:  1.89
  • Days Won:  33

In the Bible it says in Genesis that Noah lived to be 950 years old, how is this possible?

Many ascribe it to the different conditions in the world pre flood. Genetic lines were much purer, the atmosphere cleaner, the diet better etc.

Also, it was God who limited the life spans after the flood.

Genesis 6:3 (NASB)

Then the LORD said, " My Spirit shall not strive with man forever, because he also is flesh; nevertheless his days shall be one hundred and twenty years."

If God grants life and God takes it away, is it really that hard to believe?

http://www.answersingenesis.org/articles/2...rchs-in-genesis

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

God allowed it to happen. Remember, man was populating the world back then, and from just my simple analysis, God allowed them to have more time to do so. You will find that Methusaleh was 969 when he died. Genesis 5:27. It was not until Genesis 6 that God reduced the lifespan of man.

1 Now it came to pass, when men began to multiply on the face of the earth, and daughters were born to them, 2 that the sons of God saw the daughters of men, that they were beautiful; and they took wives for themselves of all whom they chose.

3 And the LORD said,

Something else to consider...

I believe that Jesus the Christ raised from the dead on the third day. Do you? It is much easier to consider God sustaining the life of someone into their 900th year than it is raising someone from the dead. But yet the resurrecion is central to our faith.

I can believe in 900 year old men and a man surviving in the belly of a large aquatic animal and Joshua's long day because I believe that God has the power to raise the dead. In comparison, living 900 years is really rather minor (at least for me) :( .

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  630
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Birthday:  03/09/1990

Something else to consider...

I believe that Jesus the Christ raised from the dead on the third day. Do you? It is much easier to consider God sustaining the life of someone into their 900th year than it is raising someone from the dead. But yet the resurrecion is central to our faith.

I can believe in 900 year old men and a man surviving in the belly of a large aquatic animal and Joshua's long day because I believe that God has the power to raise the dead. In comparison, living 900 years is really rather minor (at least for me) :laugh: .

Good answer! :(

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  44
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,773
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Birthday:  12/27/1957

If you read Genisis, you will see a discription of the Earth land area being one land mass (Pangia) and that the Earth was surrounded by water instead of the void of space. This water would have filtered harmfull sun rays that damage and age us.

This is just a small part of the vast differences between then and now that would have contributed to the longer life. (GOD's sovereign power and determination not withstanding)

HIS peace

It isnt!!

Care to add anything meaningful to the topic?

• Topic Count:  24
  • Content Count:  3,292
  • Content Per Day:  0.52

Personally...I think its a bit silly to think that any of them lived 7, 8, 900 years. There are so many other possibilities to explain those numbers. My favorite explanation is that those numbers were originally translated from an archaic (pre-cuneiform) Sumerian number system. As scientifically advanced as the Sumerians were in 3000 BC...I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that precision calendars, atomic clocks, and birth records weren't quite up to par with what we are all used to. They didn't even have one single uniform way of calculation. There is no guarantee that the scribe who originally compiled those numbers used the same numerical system that the translator used.

There are simply too many common-sense answers in my opinion...and it doesn't shake my faith one iota to think that Noah lived to 95 yrs old, instead of 950.

• Topic Count:  24
  • Content Count:  3,292
  • Content Per Day:  0.52

Well don't you think a guy who lived to be over 900 years old would have left some evidence of his existence? I mean, clearly he was someone important. But theres never been any solid evidence of moses found, even by the hard-digging professional israeli archaeologists. And if he lived to be over 900 years old, how come no other civilization ever mentions him? The greeks, romans, egyptians... All of these people were around at the time and inhabiting that area, but none of these civilizations mention a moses. You'd think they would, because clearly a guy who can live that long and did such a thing as to take away all the jewish slaves of egypt (another thing apparently theres no evidence of) would have been of interest to them. I also understand he led jewish soldiers to conquer rival tribes and areas. But they didnt bring him up either. Clearly a man who could live to be almost 1000 years would be remembered in more than just a book written after his supposed death. And there's never even been a tomb of moses found either.

Also, the technical mechanics of living that long raise questions. Did god literally prevent his tissues from decaying, and his joint from wearing out, and his lungs healthy and his heart muscles intact every day? And then he just decided to stop and let moses die? When you look at all the little things that cause aging in people, it raises questions about what god did to prevent these, and which of these maladies his DID prevent. But there's no answer to this. No one bothered to write down just how moses was being kept alive.

C'mon...research dude.

You write out this whole post and base it on a guy that lived 120 yrs...not 900 as you claim. Deu 34:7 And Moses was an hundred and twenty years old when he died:

I'll agree with you that there is a problem with a person living 900 years...but ....geesh :thumbsup: