• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  1,285
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  17,917
  • Content Per Day:  2.27
  • Days Won:  19

Grace to you,

is as stupid and as pagan as getting them to salute a coloured bit of cloth.

:o

Song

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,194
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Days Won:  0

Amor,

Saluting that "bit of coloured cloth" is not pagan. That cloth may seem insignificant to some - but it represents a history of sacrifice to a country, that survives but by the Grace of the Almighty God. Thousands upon thousands have fought and died for that 'bit of colored cloth'. Their sacrifices and our history should never be forgotten... or trivialized.

Flags come and flags go nations come and go. People are sent by the political elites to die for one flag and 50 or a hundred years later their grand-children and great-granchildren are sent to die for another. Come to any British Cathedral and many churches and you'll see chapels festooned with the things. The worship of the warrrior state relacing the worship of God. Every week in britain we see flag draped coffins being bought back from afghanistan and Iraq, particularly Afghanistan at the moment and politicians enmoting about our "fallen heroes". Men and women who they, sitting comfortably in their ministries and in parliament ,sent to die. Young men and women who should still be at home with their families not rotting in a box. If you go to Afghanistan you can find the tombs and monuments of British soldiers often from the same regments who were sent to die there in a previous failed colonial venture over a century ago. If you go to France you can find the tomb of my great-grandfather killed in the bloodbath of the first world war, a human sacrifice like tens of millions before and since on the pagan altar of nationalism. I see no reason to wave or salute a flag in honour of such brutality. I don't believe that dying for your nation is dying for a greater cause and I think that such ideas themselves trivialise those deaths.

There are things in this world we should struggle for:the right for all to be treated equally, the right for all to have a decent standard of living, and the freedom to think, but how often are these rights held up by the nation states that we are called upon to venerate? Nationalism focuses on convincing yourself that your sort are superior to those around you, and that the others are somehow lesser.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  106
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

A headline today had the superintendent saying that the video was illegally made and published. The impression I got was that he was more upset at being caught than at what actually happened. And I'm not surprised. That seems to be the standard response these days. The nation is out of control. Never thought I'd see it degenerate this far, though Clinton was headed here as well. The state ed. dept. is now going to investigate. Hopefully the parents in this Jersey town are really angry.

• Topic Count:  1,022
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.09
  • Days Won:  78

I don't believe that dying for your nation is dying for a greater cause and I think that such ideas themselves trivialise those deaths.

Higher ideals are seldom sought by the faint of heart.

There are things in this world we should struggle for:the right for all to be treated equally, the right for all to have a decent standard of living, and the freedom to think, but how often are these rights held up by the nation states that we are called upon to venerate?

Exactly how do you suppose those rights are won? How many have been set free by talking the opponent to death? :emot-hug:

Nationalism focuses on convincing yourself that your sort are superior to those around you, and that the others are somehow lesser.

I, for one, have no doubt that my countrymen are superior to the muslim dogs our military is dispatching in the Middle East so you may have a point there.

ya know.... i know some people don't like it when obama is compared to a certain german leader, but good golly miss molly! the similarities do just keep piling up, don't they!

:emot-hug:

You know, that old saw is getting rusty and dull. Now we compare EVERYBODY to Hitler even though the ideologies may be worlds apart. It doesn't make sense.

Amor,

Saluting that "bit of coloured cloth" is not pagan. That cloth may seem insignificant to some - but it represents a history of sacrifice to a country, that survives but by the Grace of the Almighty God. Thousands upon thousands have fought and died for that 'bit of colored cloth'. Their sacrifices and our history should never be forgotten... or trivialized.

There are those who will never understand such things....I pity them.

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.23
  • Content Count:  4,273
  • Content Per Day:  4.83
  • Birthday:  06/03/1955

Exactly how do you suppose those rights are won? How many have been set free by talking the opponent to death?

England tried this with Hitler and had to depend on US to save you. Remember history, Amor?! We did it to defend freedom, for the right to salute that flag you have such disdain for.

• Topic Count:  66
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,363
  • Content Per Day:  1.12
  • Days Won:  9

Amor,

Flags come and flags go nations come and go. People are sent by the political elites to die for one flag and 50 or a hundred years later their grand-children and great-granchildren are sent to die for another. Come to any British Cathedral and many churches and you'll see chapels festooned with the things. The worship of the warrrior state relacing the worship of God. Every week in britain we see flag draped coffins being bought back from afghanistan and Iraq, particularly Afghanistan at the moment and politicians enmoting about our "fallen heroes". Men and women who they, sitting comfortably in their ministries and in parliament ,sent to die. Young men and women who should still be at home with their families not rotting in a box. If you go to Afghanistan you can find the tombs and monuments of British soldiers often from the same regments who were sent to die there in a previous failed colonial venture over a century ago. If you go to France you can find the tomb of my great-grandfather killed in the bloodbath of the first world war, a human sacrifice like tens of millions before and since on the pagan altar of nationalism. I see no reason to wave or salute a flag in honour of such brutality. I don't believe that dying for your nation is dying for a greater cause and I think that such ideas themselves trivialise those deaths.

There are things in this world we should struggle for:the right for all to be treated equally, the right for all to have a decent standard of living, and the freedom to think, but how often are these rights held up by the nation states that we are called upon to venerate? Nationalism focuses on convincing yourself that your sort are superior to those around you, and that the others are somehow lesser.

I know people who have died for my country who were fighting for the very things you speak of - equality, living freely and fighting for my ability to think what I please, do what I please and worship the way I want. These are the things that, as an American, I treasure and will gladly salute a flag in remembrance of sacrifices made on my behalf and possibly even yours. You are indeed misinformed if you confuse "Nationalism" with patriotism. IMO they are completely different - one is forced and the other is chosen with pride.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  51
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  499
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Birthday:  08/08/1964

So glad my kids are nearly grown!!!!

This is unbelievable!

Same here, I'm glad my kids are teens.

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  2,194
  • Content Per Day:  0.30

I don't believe that dying for your nation is dying for a greater cause and I think that such ideas themselves trivialise those deaths.

Higher ideals are seldom sought by the faint of heart.

There are things in this world we should struggle for:the right for all to be treated equally, the right for all to have a decent standard of living, and the freedom to think, but how often are these rights held up by the nation states that we are called upon to venerate?

Exactly how do you suppose those rights are won? How many have been set free by talking the opponent to death? :emot-hug:

Nationalism focuses on convincing yourself that your sort are superior to those around you, and that the others are somehow lesser.

I, for one, have no doubt that my countrymen are superior to the muslim dogs our military is dispatching in the Middle East so you may have a point there.

So people are muslim and live in the Middle East are just dogs to be dispatched by members of a master race or is it just a master nation. It's he old lie we're better than they are so they're expendable, the same lie pushed by those on the other side too. those "dogs" are men and womwn like you or me. You're no better than they are, and they're no better than you are.