• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  283
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/01/1983

Hello friends,

This is an old, old question, but it's still a relevant one. I'm always interested to hear just exactly why so many feel they need to be able to defend God and His Truth on the same level as those are rooted absolutely in science and 'evolution'.

I was into apologetics too for a long time but eventually came to realise that Normal Christianity in all its fullness can never be compatible with Christian Apologetics. But it takes time to explain that inner realisation properly and it's always tempting for others to conclude this is a unique aspect of my walk with God -- it's for me, not a universal approach. But that's not what I believe.

My concern is that too many give more attention to this subject than they do to the full-time business of following God, dying to self and living in the power of God's Spirit in wisdom and revelation -- in other words, the normal Christian life as defined in Scripture.

We don't have a lot of time here to live for God as He intends and intellectual sideshows are an encumbrance.

Sam

Undercrank as many others on Worthy I would have to say I Peter 3:15 and Paul's writing are a good defense of Apologetics.

Colossians 4:6 "Let your speech be alway with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man."

Paul even warned Timothy of science, "(20) O Timothy, keep that which is commited to thy trust, avoiding profane and vain babblings, and opposition of science falsely so called: (21) Which some have erred concerning the faith. Grace be with thee. Amen." I Timothy 6:20-21

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.22
  • Days Won:  115

I really don't believe that 1 Timothy 6:20-21 is limited to just science. My version reads:

O Timothy! Guard what was committed to your trust, avoiding the profane and idle babblings and contradictions of what is falsely called knowledge

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  1.99
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

I agree with OneLight, there is much more to this passage.

This from the Barnes explantion of the KJV version:-

And oppositions of science falsely so called - Religion has nothing to fear from true science, and the minister of the gospel is not exhorted to dread that. Real science, in all its advances, contributes to the support of religion; and just in proportion as that is promoted will it be found to sustain the Bible, and to confirm the claims of religion to the faith of mankind. See this illustrated at length in Wiseman

• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  183
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Birthday:  09/28/1962

I take it you have never read any of the work by a guy named Paul of Tarsus?

Paul never went aound defending his faith, He simply preached the Gospel, the truth, if people accepted it they did if they didnt they didnt, shouldnt be any differenet now. I dont need to defend my faith. If people dont went to believe in Jesus, it is not my problem, i do not have to defend my beliefs, is between me and God not me and man.

• 5 months later...

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  16
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Birthday:  11/05/1977

I have to disagree, the scriptures call us to apologetics.

But santify the Lord God in your hearts:and be ready always to give an answer to everyman that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you, with meekness and fear. (1 peter 3:15)

While i think it is always more important to understand the scriptures and the message of salvation I truly believed God has made himself known through science, history and other such apologetic realms so that we could offer up the evidence to those people who are not as spiritually minded as others, Lee Strobel for example was persuaded to give his life to Christ not because of scripture or spirituality but because of the 'hard' evidence in the world of science and history.

This verse was my first thought after reading the OP too! :emot-heartbeat: I LOVE Lee Strobel's testimony and messages. I first heard him at our church 2 yrs ago. I was simply amazed! Incredible!! Scripture has a lot to say about arguing and debating, to be careful of doing such but it is balanced with scriptures like above, as well as ones about speaking the truth in love. Our hearts motive is what is important - if it is to simply prove others wrong or show them the truth in love, God knows.

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  16
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Birthday:  11/05/1977

I take it you have never read any of the work by a guy named Paul of Tarsus?

Paul never went aound defending his faith, He simply preached the Gospel, the truth, if people accepted it they did if they didnt they didnt, shouldnt be any differenet now. I dont need to defend my faith. If people dont went to believe in Jesus, it is not my problem, i do not have to defend my beliefs, is between me and God not me and man.

What do you consider to be the difference between "defending" your faith and being prepared to give an "answer" for it, like Scripture says we should be? Just curious, this may be simply a difference in defining terms and thoughts.

• 4 weeks later...

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  158
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Birthday:  07/20/1984

This is a unique topic. 1. Because the Lord recently convicted me on it. I wanted this apologetics bible + simple theology book SO bad I bought them. But, once in my house I got negative feelings when I opened them. So, I went to the Lord and asked why. And I heard clear as day "They are speaking OF me, they dont KNOW me." I understood immediately those books were about God ... people glancing in from outside of the Lord studying him. Not a actual relationship with him. Its intellectual- human philosophy.

But scantify the Lord God in your hearts:and be ready always to give an answer to everyman that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you, with meekness and fear. (1 peter 3:15)

Yes be ready to give a answer to WHY you believe. The hope that is IN you. Not outside of you by human reasoning. Were also told not to get in vain arguements and disputes. If you go to a man and explain why you believe, and he doesnt accept it- walk away. But theology + apologetics goes deeper, they are argue their beliefs til someone is right. I dont think thats what the Lord has called us to.

Heatherxoxox :emot-highfive: