JCISGD

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  98
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,260
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Days Won:  0

To Nikki1, Ellen is not here. Nobody in this forum is witnessing to her. I wouldn't expect anyone to find trouble in a Christian forum because they call someone in an immoral lifestyle like Ellen degenerate. I am shocked anyone is defending her.

Blessings, Butero

I don't see where anyone is defending her, or the sin of homosexuality/lesbianism.

But no one will ever cause anyone's heart to turn toward Christ by calling them derogatory names, IMO, and I don't see where the teachings of Jesus or apostles advocate or promote it.

And, you didn't answer my question. What possible good can come out of it??

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ENOUGH ALREADY! i have gone back and edited my original comment. can we please get this thread back ON TOPIC? for crying out loud, if ya wanna sit there and harp about how sinful it is to use the word degenerate in reference to ellen, you might want to pull the plank out of your own eye and stop this silly bickering and arguing, which scripture so clearly tells us not to do, and you might want to stop dragging this discussion so far off topic, because it's disrespectful to the OP. i can't believe i come back to this thread and find that in the last 24 hours, four pages of condemnation and/or defense over something i said on page one have been posted.

I AM NOT THE SUBJECT OF THE OP!

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  261
  • Content Per Day:  0.05

:thumbsup:

We are not Christ, and cannot rebuke and call out people with the same righteousness as He can.

The same thing applies to one member of WB rebuking and calling out other members of WB.

To Nikki1, Jesus is our example, and he used derogatory names in reference to sinners. In Acts 23:3, Paul calls Ananias a "whited wall" which if I am not mistaken was derogatory. He apologized for speaking against him only when he found out Ananias was the high priest, but before that obviously believed using a derogatory comment towards a sinner was ok. I would say that with Jesus doing this and Paul doing this that Jesus and Paul promoted by example that we can use derogatory names for certain sinners.

To LadyC, you are right the thread has been derailed. Had your comment not been blown up out of proportion by some who are trying to make you out the villain, as well as OC, this would not have occured. I don't believe your comment was the least bit out of line and while some have come in and "made their point," they were not convincing to me. The scriptures they used were dealing with guarding your tongue, but that would only apply if you were doing something wrong in your speech, and they haven't proven that calling Ellen a degenerate was sinful.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  415
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  02/02/1945

Knowing all of this I am one who believes in free speech very strongly. Also I believe that as Americans if we would use the free speech that our Constitution has given us then they can't take it away only if you let them silence us.

I know that I have a right to free speech and I do not have to change.

As Lady C said, that she did not have to change what she labled Ellen as I have called her the same thing all the way back to her first days on TV and that was Ellen degenerate and I will not change that name either.

oc

The constitution gives you the right to free speech. So what. God commands you to temper your speech...

Col 4:5-6 (ESV)
Walk in wisdom toward outsiders, making the best use of the time. 6 Let your speech always be gracious, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how you ought to answer each person.

Rom 12:18 (ESV)
If possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all.

Mat 12:36-37 (ESV)
I tell you, on the day of judgment people will give account for every careless word they speak, 37 for by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned."

Eph 4:29 (ESV)
Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear.

One day you will stand before God and be asked to justify why you called one of His creation "degenerate" and I don't think "But I have the constitutional right to free speech" is going to cut it with Him.

The fact that you know the generally accepted meaning that people have when they hear the nickname 'degenerate' applied to Ellen Degeneres, and still attempt to defend your right to call her that, speaks volumes.

What does this have to do with the legality of speaking out against deviate behaviour? As for me calling Ellen a degenerate, Romans 1 calls her a reprobate if God calls her that then I am safe to call her a degenerate.

oc

I have nothing against you speaking out against deviant behavior, if you do what the Word tells you to do and salt your words with grace. Romans 1 calls lesbians reprobate, but that isn't the full story. Romans also goes on to say that there is no condemnation for those in Christ Jesus. Preach the whole message. Simply shouting "degenerate" is not preaching the gospel of law and grace, it's merely name calling. Don't confuse the two.

You DO have the right to preach the law and grace.

You DO NOT have the right to name call.

Yes, name calling alone is just anger and prejudice and a fruit of the flesh. Let us be sure to use any judgement tempered with the word of God and that also with love because God loves them as much as he does us. Did you know that God loved/loves Hitler and Charles Manson as much as he does us? We all need to remind ourselves of that fact because I think we all fall short of it on occassion.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  73
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  540
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Birthday:  08/26/1980

Well, if it does get passed I'll be going to jail.

I do not hate anyone, nor do I advocate people killing others based on their lifestyle or beliefs, but I will never stop calling sin sin, I'll never say that it's ok to do whats wrong.

If we're not allowed to speak against one sin, how long will it be before we can't talk against all sin?

• Topic Count:  98
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,260
  • Content Per Day:  0.23

Blessings, LadyC:

if ya wanna sit there and harp about how sinful it is to use the word degenerate in reference to ellen,you might want to pull the plank out of your own eye

Just so you know, I never once singled you out made you the subject of anything here or even mentioned your name; and if you are referring to me in your comment above, I strive daily to get and keep the plank out of my own eye, as I think Jesus would have us all do, therefore, I choose not to call unsaved sinners derogatory names because of their sin. I have no problem with calling sin sin when the occasion arises, but I refuse to constantly throw an unsaved sinner's sin in his/her face which is not what we as Christians are called to do. There are far too many politically active Christians who have already done this IMO, trying to legislate morality with their political actions in Washington and have only brought radical homosexuals out in droves fighting against them, hurting the cause of the Gospel message because morality cannot be legislated.

Nikki

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  1,345
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  04/10/1961

Hmmm its just healthy debate i think. I grew up in a large family where robust challenges were common place. I only ask that people avoid getting personal.

I dont think its following Jesus to use untempered speech when dealing with unbelievers whom we are wanting to win for Christ unless of course we are a prophet sent to denounce a city or the religious leaders if blocking the way to salvation.

As Bean points out above we are not Jesus and dont have final knowledge or able to see hearts to know motive.

Its true Ellen herself is not being witnessed to here, but unbelievers or those with a weak faith may be reading our words. This is why i have admitted error in some of my choice of wording.

"Be cunning as serpents, but gentle as doves"

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  1,773
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Birthday:  12/27/1957

We are not Christ, and cannot rebuke and call out people with the same righteousness as He can.

HE never spoke thus to the common man, only to the religious folk who should have known better.