IGNORED

Should Sex Offenders Be Barred from Church?

KC02

Sex Offenders  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Should Sex Offenders Be Barred from Church?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe some of them

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  66
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,363
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Days Won:  9

That is realy cool OneLight. I voted No on this issue in part because I would not want someones sin keep them from church and all of its purposes in our lives. Although I understand the situation and myself who has a child would not want him sitting next to a sex offender. I like alot of the ideas that some have presented. Also there is a stigma and rightly so, but also a unjust stigma in the law when it comes to sex offenders that makes it hard to decide. Some sex offfenders under the law were nothing more than an 18 year old who had a 16 year old girlfriend and mommy and daddy wanted to ruin someones life because there daughter wanted sex and vice versa.

Yes, that is the case for some of these offenders, but in NH, if my memory is working right, there is a rule that it has to be a difference of 3 or 4 years in order to be processed. Two years is not a wide enough spread, but if a 21 year old had a sexual relationship with a 16 year old, they were prosecuted. It is also a law that if you are caught taking a leak in public, you can be precessed as a sex offender for exposure. Some laws are just way out there.

We need to find a way to reach everyone. Christ never refused anyone, and neither should we.

I think your ministry to these people is really wonderful and I'm glad you do it. I don't think we should refuse anyone the opportunity to worship - as long as sex offenders who have violated children are not in direct contact with them. I live in the same area as a violent serial rapist (his sentencing fell out of the realm of what he would be serving today) - the area is lovely - woods and trails near a lovely river .... I have lived here most of my life and have always loved walking the woods and sitting near the river... when I first passed this person on the trail - I did not feel comfortable being in those woods alone, again. I guess that is my issue, though. He has apparently paid his debt to society.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  5,258
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  07/22/1960

I want them in Church service where I can see them surrounded by people, this is the lowest risk place for them.

Sex offenders in general do not pick children randomly out of the crowd and abduct them (although we know this does happen it is rare). What sex offenders do is get close to families, they make friends, they manipulate, they cry, they act sorry, they want one thing to gain your trust. I would not really want them in fellowship nor in my home.

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Topic Count:  128
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,704
  • Content Per Day:  0.44
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  10/08/1950

I'm new here and what bought me was an e-mail asking, "Should Sex Offenders Be Barred from Church?"

I realize this is a tough topic for many because most peoples opinions are based on what they get from the entertainment news media and politicians who are in it for ratings and votes. They will tell us anything we want to here.

I have a web site and would ask that you look at "An Open Letter to the Church and Ministers - A Home Missions Project."

http://cfcoklahoma.org/New_Site/index.php?...ct&Itemid=1

Here: I appreciate all feedback.

Thank-you

LGR

The link worked just fine....I think everyone should read it.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  630
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/09/1990

Depends if their repentant sex offenders or not... if after counsel it is seen that they are calling Jesus lord, then they're good to go. If they're unrepentant or repeatedly failing, pretty sure we're supposed to purge the immoral brother. I checked maybe.

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Topic Count:  128
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,704
  • Content Per Day:  0.44
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  10/08/1950

I do not see how a male or female sex offender sitting in church constitutes a threat to a child.

At my church each Sunday morning there are 40 to 60 adults and 12 to 20 children, after song and praise and congregational sharing, the children are released to Sunday school. At the end of the service, everyone leaves the church unless we have pot luck or fellowship, all of which occurs in one of two rooms.

It would be very difficult for anyone to isolate a child in our church.

Former sinners seeking the Lord are and will always be welcome at my church.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  828
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Birthday:  12/28/1980

I think that a sex offender needs to talk to the rector and the rector talk to the parole officer -

• Topic Count:  334
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  2,049
  • Content Per Day:  0.38
  • Days Won:  4

If anyone needs church, THESE are the people. Jesus would not want ANYONE to be rejected from His church. He wants ALL sinners to come.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  73
  • Content Count:  540
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Birthday:  08/26/1980

I understand why the law would work to keep the sex offender away from the nursery but I also have a problem with keeping people out of the church.

What if the offender gave their life to Christ, were born again and repented totally of their sins? If a man was an adulterer before becoming born again should he be forbidden to go into any church where there are other men's wives worrishipping? If a woman was a lesbian who got saved and repented should she be forbidden to enter churches with women in them?

If the law is going to stop people from worshipping than it is up to us, the believers, to bring the word to the ones forbidden.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  1,901
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  29

Not to high jack these discussions, but that is so Christ-like.... One Light, it's a fine example that shows where there's issues...there's solutions. God imparts in each of His children something that brings glory and praise to His Name, and at the same time bring deliverance to lost souls. :blink:. But :hmmm: in a church, that opens it's door :noidea:...there has to be 'people thats called to His purpose' concerning this type of ministry. The Holy Ghost must ALWAYS be in FULL control, because no CHILD, should have to be harmed and that situation be used as a learning tool that will bring success to that ministry. I'm a overcomer from being a victim of a sex offender in the 60's, laws were not in enforce and nobody including family was brave enough to tackle it... to a victory in Christ. Prayerfully...jot

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  415
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  02/02/1945

Not to high jack these discussions, but that is so Christ-like.... One Light, it's a fine example that shows where there's issues...there's solutions. God imparts in each of His children something that brings glory and praise to His Name, and at the same time bring deliverance to lost souls. :blink:. But :hmmm: in a church, that opens it's door :noidea:...there has to be 'people thats called to His purpose' concerning this type of ministry. The Holy Ghost must ALWAYS be in FULL control, because no CHILD, should have to be harmed and that situation be used as a learning tool that will bring success to that ministry. I'm a overcomer from being a victim of a sex offender in the 60's, laws were not in enforce and nobody including family was brave enough to tackle it... to a victory in Christ. Prayerfully...jot

I know that God loves the sex offenders as much as he does anyone. But as for me personally, I'm a born worrier and also I discern spirits frequently (gift from God, not me) and I just would not want my children or grandchildren anywhere near these people, church or anywhere else. I have a very very close friend for many years, who is married with large family. He has spent years and years in prison ministries. He has told me time and time again, christian or no christian, these people need to be with people who understand them, understand their needs and can work with them. He says be wise as a serpent and harmless as a dove with them. Perry has led many people who are incarcerated or released from prison / jail to christ. You have to be trained to deal with them. I would not worry for two seconds being in a church service with any ex-con if Perry were there preaching, with any small children You guys may think I'm too paranoid, but I say better safe than sorry, can't help it. Love all you guys though,you may not agree with me. God bless.

Edited by Miss Elly