Rick-Parker

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.09
  • Days Won:  78

Until Christians are put through the fire and truly, truly have their beliefs challenged and realized there is leaven in what they believe . . . and it fails them . . . then they are content to continue with what they believe.

Unfortunately, for a great many when their faith fails because it wasn't founded in the truth which is assured to set them free, many become bitter and doubtful and continue a backslide away from Christ.

Believers need to realize there are no promises in the Bible for the halfhearted other than failure and judgment.

Heb 11:6 But without faith it is impossible to please Him: for he that cometh to God must believe that He is, and that
He is a rewarder of them that
diligently
seek Him.

:rolleyes:

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I found that as soon as I started teaching, and sharing at h/group, my study of the bible took off! I found that teaching requires one to study the bible prayerfully, and I don't get a direction or answers to what I want to talk about unless I am guided by the Spirit. Also I pass all of my work through my pastor and the elders of the church for correction and additions if needed. This way, because I do not in any way consider myself an expert, I don't make mistakes of self opinion, and am also taught by those with more experience and knowledge than me.

I have progressed to preparing lessons that may never be heard except by my pastor or elders, but the study and prayer required to prepare is my way of delving into the word that has a real purpose for me.

My lessons are simple and I steer away from the complicated (can you spell predestination :rolleyes: ) but it is a wonderful learning curve.

Blessings

:rolleyes:

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.23
  • Content Count:  4,273
  • Content Per Day:  4.86
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  06/03/1955

Hi Parker...This is true of some Believers, and it is not true of others...I personally haven't found many that will not look at Scriptures when they have been pointed out to them in a clear and friendly manner....have you got some particular example eating away at you?

Nothing in particular. I do notice it happening a lot on this forum, though.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  13
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Birthday:  07/28/1947

Now that is the best comment I have heard yet. You are correct. We Christians must remember to study the word all of the time. We must be good as the Bereans --- Acts 17.11.

Spoon feeding is a problem in the church ==== people think that they can go to church once a week, listen to scripture and then that is OK for the whole week. We forget that a believer

has an enemy (who is a defeated enemy) but an enemy none the less.

The lack of study makes it possible for the various religious fads that occure in the chuches from time to time. Such fads have nothing whatsoever to do with salvation and/or Biblical truth for that matter. Example would be "Slain in the Spirit" ---- which is a recent fad that is proclaimed throughout some churches or church groups, and never once will anyone find that expression in the Bible. These religous fads seem to occur because people do not know their scripture, and want to be entertained. One wonders if the amazing grace of salvation through Jesus that believers receive in repenting and accepting him as savior by faith is not enough.

Now that is the best comment I have heard yet. You are correct. We Christians must remember to study the word all of the time. We must be good as the Bereans --- Acts 17.11.

Spoon feeding is a problem in the church ==== people think that they can go to church once a week, listen to scripture and then that is OK for the whole week. We forget that a believer

has an enemy (who is a defeated enemy) but an enemy none the less.

The lack of study makes it possible for the various religious fads that occure in the chuches from time to time. Such fads have nothing whatsoever to do with salvation and/or Biblical truth for that matter. Example would be "Slain in the Spirit" ---- which is a recent fad that is proclaimed throughout some churches or church groups, and never once will anyone find that expression in the Bible. These religous fads seem to occur because people do not know their scripture, and want to be entertained. One wonders if the amazing grace of salvation through Jesus that believers receive in repenting and accepting him as savior by faith is not enough.

And that is the problem...those who don't know Scripture tend to believe what false teachers tell them.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  27
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  378
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  08/06/1967

I once heard a preacher I greatly admire say that a true believer has this hunger and thirst for God, and with the prompting of the Holy Spirit, are inclined to God's word.

I love Psalm 119 because all throughout this psalm, it talks about rejoicing, meditating and delighting in God's laws and decrees and precepts, and how doing so keeps one from straying, gives one hope and preserves one's life.

While it is true that we can learn much about God thru preachings and thru other people, I believe the best way to know God is to meditate on His word, and to ask God for understanding. Psalm 119:130 "The unfolding of your words gives light; it gives understanding to the simple."

Following are some verses from this Psalm that I like to recite before I read the bible:

Psalm 119:33-37 (NIV)

33 Teach me, O LORD, to follow your decrees;

then I will keep them to the end.

34 Give me understanding, and I will keep your law

and obey it with all my heart.

35 Direct me in the path of your commands,

for there I find delight.

36 Turn my heart toward your statutes

and not toward selfish gain.

37 Turn my eyes away from worthless things;

preserve my life according to your word.

Blessings....South

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  121
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,931
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  8
  • Birthday:  07/13/1955

IS it not written, "Study to show yourself approved of God, a worker who does not have any need to be ashamed"?

Does the writer of Hebrews not upbraid believers for NOT going on beyond the elementary teachings?

There is far too much simplicity (read that baby food) being handed out today. As long as a teaching isn't too complicated (or tickles the ears), people are fine with it. Give someone a steak (shoot, even a piece of fried chicken) and they gag and choke on it, even if it's cut up into small pieces. American Christians seem to be the worst for this; I can't speak for believers in other countries. If someone is a new Believer, that's one thing, I expect that. For people who have been in Christ for many years, I should never be hearing, "I just listen to Pastor so n so" or "I read so and so's book and it's wonderful"; the adolescent Believer should know how to study on his or her own.

Many years ago, Believers knew Greek and Latin and sometimes Hebrew. These days, even the most rudimentary of Greek words is over their heads. Sad indeed.

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.22
  • Days Won:  115

People are complacent right where they are. I was once told by someone I love dearly that he wish he remained in the simplicity of His word, for it was more simple to live for Christ as a baby. His faith was strong and there was no confusion. I pray that he now knows the full truth and is with God.

As spoken of in Revelations, this day the church is lukewarm, living half in Him and half in the world. They do not have the fire for God as they should. Many do not study as they should and remain on baby food.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  1.99
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

"But we prefer, if it must be so, to be less wise in the Scriptures, than to be wise against them". - Turtellian

A bit off topic? But any comments?

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  247
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Birthday:  11/04/1973

I'm amazed and wondering why Christians, even mature ones, won't study the Bible to answer their questions, even when they are led by their fellow Christians to where the information they seek is. It seems like they don't want to do anything for themselves, but want to be spoon fed. Any comments (without attacks)?

There's a variety of reason for why christians often won't study the Word.

1-Laziness. We've all been guilty of that.

2-Business. I'm sure we've all had that as an excuse.

3-Some don't see the importance of it. They don't realize how it is only through the Word of God, that they can overcome in life and stand strong in stormy situations.

4-Some christians don't take the Word seriously. There is a lot of lukewarmness in the church. Many profess to know God, but don't truly know Him. If they are not genuinley living for Christ, how can you expect them to be serious about the Word?