• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.23
  • Content Count:  4,273
  • Content Per Day:  4.86
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  06/03/1955

I'm amazed and wondering why Christians, even mature ones, won't study the Bible to answer their questions, even when they are led by their fellow Christians to where the information they seek is. It seems like they don't want to do anything for themselves, but want to be spoon fed. Any comments (without attacks)?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.09
  • Days Won:  78

I think a lot has to do with the church....we come to depend on the pastor to tell us what is Bibical. We shouldn't and, I admit, I'm guilty of this myself.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,568
  • Content Per Day:  0.68
  • Days Won:  0

I'm amazed and wondering why Christians, even mature ones, won't study the Bible to answer their questions, even when they are led by their fellow Christians to where the information they seek is. It seems like they don't want to do anything for themselves, but want to be spoon fed. Any comments (without attacks)?

The Word tells us in................

2 Peter 3:5--"For this they willingly are ignorant of, that by the word of God the heavens were of old, and the earth standing out of the water and in the water:"

There are those who will not study the word as they think if they remain ignorant in the scripture then they will not be held accountable for what they don't know and of course that is one huge lie.

If we seek we shall find

If we knock it shall be opened

Ask and it shall be given you

oc

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.22
  • Days Won:  115

Some people just want answers to questions given to them. Others like to find the answers for themselves.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  4,492
  • Content Per Day:  0.61
  • Days Won:  18

Hi Parker...This is true of some Believers, and it is not true of others...I personally haven't found many that will not look at Scriptures when they have been pointed out to them in a clear and friendly manner....have you got some particular example eating away at you?

As to the other part....yes many are happy to sit back and be spoon fed, without developing their spiritual muscles, and often regurgitate what has been said from the front, and talk about it as if they actually own what has been said...mostly I find the Pastor's anecdotes relayed, rather than the thrust of the message....Some of this lays at the feet of the Preacher. One or two whom I have encountered were extremely funny guys, but kinda lost their impetus as they played to the Church/audience.

Nobody can give a person a hunger and thirst for righteousness apart from the Holy Spirit, and to my mind one of the most important things in any Believer's life, is to be being filled with the Holy Spirit all the time, then you will develop a desire for spiritual things....neglect the Spirit, and they will fade into the back-ground, and you will wander aimlessly and ineffectively through your Christian life, and probably be consumed with other things, that may not in themselves be wrong, but ultimately help keep you in the state you are in.

I think there are actually 2 reasons for the behavior you describe. The first is probably more about laziness than most want to admit (& yes, I've been guilty of that more than once!)

Another reason that might be missed is this: The Christians in question may not have been taught how to study the Bible on their own. Studying the Bible is not difficult, but is easier to learn when there's someone to show you. I know this because I was one of those folks who never had anyone to teach me. Many folks don't want to let on that they don't know, so they just go with the flow.

• Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.09
  • Days Won:  78

I think there are actually 2 reasons for the behavior you describe. The first is probably more about laziness than most want to admit (& yes, I've been guilty of that more than once!)

Another reason that might be missed is this: The Christians in question may not have been taught how to study the Bible on their own. Studying the Bible is not difficult, but is easier to learn when there's someone to show you. I know this because I was one of those folks who never had anyone to teach me. Many folks don't want to let on that they don't know, so they just go with the flow.

True; many people have never read the Word themselves but depend on others to explain it to them. This is not necessarily a bad thing but can be if the one doing the explaining has their own interpretation.

• Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  4,073
  • Content Per Day:  0.53
  • Days Won:  5

Until Christians are put through the fire and truly, truly have their beliefs challenged and realized there is leaven in what they believe . . . and it fails them . . . then they are content to continue with what they believe.

Unfortunately, for a great many when their faith fails because it wasn't founded in the truth which is assured to set them free, many become bitter and doubtful and continue a backslide away from Christ.

Believers need to realize there are no promises in the Bible for the halfhearted other than failure and judgment.

Heb 11:6 But without faith it is impossible to please Him: for he that cometh to God must believe that He is, and that
He is a rewarder of them that
diligently
seek Him.

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  827
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  12,101
  • Content Per Day:  1.50
  • Days Won:  3

Rightly said, BlindSeeker :rolleyes:

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  1.99
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

I found that as soon as I started teaching, and sharing at h/group, my study of the bible took off! I found that teaching requires one to study the bible prayerfully, and I don't get a direction or answers to what I want to talk about unless I am guided by the Spirit. Also I pass all of my work through my pastor and the elders of the church for correction and additions if needed. This way, because I do not in any way consider myself an expert, I don't make mistakes of self opinion, and am also taught by those with more experience and knowledge than me.

I have progressed to preparing lessons that may never be heard except by my pastor or elders, but the study and prayer required to prepare is my way of delving into the word that has a real purpose for me.

My lessons are simple and I steer away from the complicated (can you spell predestination :rolleyes: ) but it is a wonderful learning curve.

Blessings