IGNORED

Does Hidden Text Prove Shroud of Turin Real?

nebula

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  66
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,050
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  09/09/1952

The Shroud of Turin has always fascinated me. Is it real? I don't know, but if it is a fake it certainly is a very good one. If it is a fake it has been done by someone who was very advanced in forgery methods. I don't think there is anything like it. If it is man-made then it seems to me that there would be some history of "artists" making other similar shrouds. But I have never heard of another like it. If it is supernaturally unique and the image imprinted when Christ rose from the dead then there wouldn't be any others around.

It is interesting, but it doesn't change my faith one way or the other. I know Christ rose from the dead and my salvation is in Him.

<>< ><>

Nathele

• Topic Count:  373
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  3,331
  • Content Per Day:  0.59
  • Days Won:  10
  • Birthday:  12/24/1965

I think it's the real deal. I've read quite a few books on it, and I think there is enough evidence to prove it authentic. But, that is my own humble opinion.

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,194
  • Content Per Day:  0.30

Carbon dating shows it to be a forgery in the 1980's

. A medieval fabrication to draw pilgrims and their cash to Turin.

Nothing but a cloth idol

Guest shiloh357

Nothing but a cloth idol

Actually, there has been a lot more data collected since the 80s. According to the article you cite, the results were inconclusive. It is not an open and shut case.

• Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  2,050
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Birthday:  09/09/1952

Nothing but a cloth idol

The article that Nebula sited said that the fibers that were tested came from the part of the cloth that had been damaged by fire. I don't know if it is real or not, but it is interesting.

<>< ><>

Nathele

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  48
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  08/14/1984

Nothing but a cloth idol

Actually, there has been a lot more data collected since the 80s. According to the article you site, the results were inconclusive. It is not an open and shut case.

There's also talk that the cloth has had repairs done to it throughout its history, and there's speculation that the carbon dating was done, whether purposefully or not, on a piece of the cloth that had been repaired and not on an original piece.

Either way, I think the find is an amazing one, and I personally lean more towards it being authentic. Of course, no one is 'worshipping' the cloth to call it a cloth idol. For Christians, it's an awesome find to see a photo of what could be the actual cloth that our Messiah was wrapped in after his crucifixion.

Edited by jesuschristmysavior

• Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  4,492
  • Content Per Day:  0.61
  • Days Won:  18

IMO....I don't believe it has anything to do with Jesus at all.

I don't think it is necessarily a fake, and may well be someones burial shroud, but not the L-rds.

This is because the Jewish burials as far as I can tell were not performed with a single cloth, but with lengths of linen that were wrapped around the body like bandages, and the spices were spread in between them.

Also the Bible records 'wrappings' pleural, and a separate cloth for the face, John 20 vs 6-7 which remained uncovered by the former layers, and therefore could not have produced such an image of the front and back of a person on one piece of cloth...at least not by this traditional form of burial. (see also John 11:44) [the greek seems a little ambiguous and refers to grave clothes]

Apart from that, if it really was the L-rds...people with illnesses would be flocking to touch it or just look at it, and it would draw in far more people than Lourds in France.

I think there would also have been a continuous history of such an item, and not just a sudden appearance in the 14th Century, and it would have been associated with many many miracles.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  1,823
  • Content Per Day:  0.33
  • Days Won:  2

The interesting part is that humans claim to have all this technology and machinery/methods with ability to give answers. Yet there are conflicting conclusions of the findings. Once more it shows our human limits either one believes the shroud is real or not.

Blessings

Guest shiloh357
This is because the Jewish burials as far as I can tell were not performed with a single cloth, but with lengths of linen that were wrapped around the body like bandages, and the spices were spread in between them.

True, but keep in mind that Jesus' burial was hastily done as they had to get him in the tomb just before the Sabbath. They did not have time to wrap him up in bandages and separate cloth could have been laid over the face on top of the linen shroud. This was not a typical burial. That is why the women were coming to finish the job after the Sabbath.