• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  732
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  10/24/1969

Okay...I am NOT a new Christian...I'm a preachers kid brought up in a Brethren church and currently attend another non denominational church. In my life as Christian I have always been confused by communion. In the Brethren churches it is a very closed meeting that takes place before the 'family bible hour' meeting. In the 'closed' meeting they partake of bread and wine every Sunday, and that is when offering is taken as well. You must be baptised to take part in this meeting, and there is more...living your life to a certain standard before God. If you have been convicted of a sin such as molesting a child or something big like that you would be told that you cannot attend the closed communion meeting.

In the church I attend now, and in most churches today the communion is open to all and no questions are asked. But doesn't the Bible tell us somewhere that to do it this way can make the congregation sick? I have a huge hang up with communion and really search myslef well before partaking...and most times do not partake. Sometimes GOd slaps me upside the head and TELLS me to take of it, but most times I am just confused about wether I will be causing more harm thatn good by taking it (heart not in the right place, rough week, sins in the previous week (not big ones, but sins nonetheless) )

Anyway I know there are some wise people on here from many denominations...what is your take...when should, or shouldn't one partake in communion?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  66
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,363
  • Content Per Day:  1.12
  • Days Won:  9

I was raised in a denominational church and was taught that partaking of Communion is a sacred act in remembrance of the sacrifice Jesus made for us. I have been taught all my life that it is a personal and spiritual act between God and us and that we should be pure in heart and repentant and have asked forgiveness for our sins before taking part in communion.

1 Corinthians 10:

21You cannot drink the cup of the Lord and the cup of demons too; you cannot have a part in both the Lord's table and the table of demons...

I have long wondered if we were being warned to be 'right' with God before partaking of the Lord's supper. All I know is that I do not take communion, if I am angry or resentful or in need of God's forgiveness. That is my thought on this.

It just doesn't seem to be being taught like that anymore. It seems that it is being taught as a "take part in rememberance of me" kind of thing and many taking part don't realize the true ramifications of this...which makes it unhealthy for the whole chorch body.

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

I think this is the scripture you are looking for.

1 Corinthians 11:23-34 (New King James Version)

Institution of the Lord’s Supper

For I received from the Lord that which I also delivered to you: that the Lord Jesus on the same night in which He was betrayed took bread; and when He had given thanks, He broke it and said, “Take, eat; this is My body which is broken for you; do this in remembrance of Me.” In the same manner He also took the cup after supper, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in My blood. This do, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of Me.”

For as often as you eat this bread and drink this cup, you proclaim the Lord’s death till He comes.

Examine Yourself

Therefore whoever eats this bread or drinks this cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of the body and [the] blood of the Lord. But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of the bread and drink of the cup. For he who eats and drinks in an unworthy manner eats and drinks judgment to himself, not discerning the Lord’s body. For this reason many are weak and sick among you, and many sleep. For if we would judge ourselves, we would not be judged. But when we are judged, we are chastened by the Lord, that we may not be condemned with the world.

Therefore, my brethren, when you come together to eat, wait for one another. But if anyone is hungry, let him eat at home, lest you come together for judgment. And the rest I will set in order when I come.

The words underlined were not in the original writings and the one underlined within brackets I added because they are in the original writings, but no tin the NKJV. Yes, we are to examine ourselves and ask for forgiveness of any sin. If anyone partakes in any other reason but to truly remember Jesus, then they will be a price they will have to pay.

It just doesn't seem to be being taught like that anymore. It seems that it is being taught as a "take part in rememberance of me" kind of thing and many taking part don't realize the true ramifications of this...which makes it unhealthy for the whole chorch body.

But it isn't up to us to discern the heart of another and determine if they are "healthy" enough in their walk with God to partake or not - it is a very personal decision and judgment.

That is exactly what I was looking for. Thank You. Now does this mean that if you partake in an unworthy state you can make not only yourself, but the congregation weak/sick...or does this mean you will only bring judgement and sickness on yourself?

What happened today is this...I was there with friends who are not married but living together...they partook and I did not, partially because I wanted to let them know somehow that maybe they should not be partaking...let them question why I was not. And they did ask me why I did not partake...I told them because I didn't understand communion but know there are spiritual connotaions involved and that I was a little confused about communion. I told them if they were confused maybe they should speak to the pastor.

(one of them is baptised as an adult, the other as a baby to the Catholic church)

Anyway...communion is a very sacred and spiritual thing to me, and many times I do not partake...actually most times I don't. Like I said earlier, I partake when God puts it bluntly that morning that I should. He does lead me:>)

But it isn't up to us to discern the heart of another and determine if they are "healthy" enough in their walk with God to partake or not - it is a very personal decision and judgment.

No, it isn't up to us to discern the heart...

That is exactly what I was looking for. Thank You. Now does this mean that if you partake in an unworthy state you can make not only yourself, but the congregation weak/sick...or does this mean you will only bring judgement and sickness on yourself?

What happened today is this...I was there with friends who are not married but living together...they partook and I did not, partially because I wanted to let them know somehow that maybe they should not be partaking...let them question why I was not. And they did ask me why I did not partake...I told them because I didn't understand communion but know there are spiritual connotaions involved and that I was a little confused about communion. I told them if they were confused maybe they should speak to the pastor.

(one of them is baptised as an adult, the other as a baby to the Catholic church)

Anyway...communion is a very sacred and spiritual thing to me, and many times I do not partake...actually most times I don't. Like I said earlier, I partake when God puts it bluntly that morning that I should. He does lead me:>)

I personally do not think that denying yourself the personal gift of communion in the Name of Jesus and in remembrance of His sacrifice is going to influence another person. I think that if you have been convicted by the Holy Spirit to speak to them about their lifestyle - you should speak to them about that, but not use your own personal communion to 'teach' them anything. God will sort it out, in any case. Blessings.

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

I see this more of a personal sacrament. We are remembering for ourselves, examining ourselves. If all the whole church partake in an unworthy manner, to for another reason then what scripture teaches, then it results will be upon the whole church. If God is telling you anything, it is to examine yourself deeper, not to bypass the communion itself.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  1,901
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  29

Greetings,

At the church I attend, our pastor always share a very short message before communion is given.

A short prayer for those who wish to repent before receiving is said.

Years before I joined the church I attend now, this story was shared:

A visiting pastor once shared how his members was becoming ill and when he seek

God, he was shown there were people who was partaking and shouldn't. From that moment

on he said he took the time to explain how sacred communion was, because many understand

what it meant, just not how sacred it was.

Later when I join my present church, and the pastor did the same, I felt God was comfirming

what I heard years ago. And the same two scriptures onelight gave was the one used.

Because of that whenever there is any disagreement in any area of my life, I weight taking

communion by those scriptures, and can remember twice not being able to take it..

jot