~Shalhevet~

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,911
  • Content Per Day:  0.66
  • Days Won:  10

I found this out when I read the study notes in the NKJV Spirit Filled Study Bible:

Genesis 17 v 11: "and you shall be circumcised in the flesh of your foreskins and it shall be a sign of the covenant between Me and you."

study notes Genesis 17 v 11:

A sign of the covenant was not mentioned during its establishment in ch 15. Circumcision was not uncommon in the ancient Near East, but God chose it a s a sign to identify the people of the Abrahamic covenant for it literally touches the male at his point of propagating life. Later, pride made circumsicion into an idolatrous symbol which the Hebrews assumed would demand God's continued favour. Just as Christian baptism without faith is meaningless for justification, so it is with mere physical circumcision. Rom 2:25-29.

Never heard that, my NKJ doesn't have that in it either. I see how they are linking the covenant yet in chpt. 15 God was the one who sealed the covenant alone, through the sacrifice of the animals, Abram didn't do anything. Then in chpt. 17 Abraham is given the sign that he needed to "keep" in order to continue in with God, and those who wish to live within that covenant of promise. I've always felt it was a unique sign one carried from generation to migrating generations, carried across deserts and oceans but uniquely as a sign between those of Abrahams seed/children. If we look at the case of Dinah the brothers demanded circumcision of the males before they would allow her to marry. And wen Joshua went over the Jordan with all of Israel he was commanded by God to circumcise them.

It odd to think there was circumcision before God commanded Abraham. There seems to be sporactic mentions in certain tribes and histories tho the biblical accounts may be the oldest known about theres a lot of stuff to wade through on that subject!

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,264
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

<H2>[edit] Male circumcision to prevent masturbation

Non-religious circumcision in English-speaking countries arose in a climate of negative attitudes towards sex, especially concerning masturbation. In her 1978 article The Ritual of Circumcision,[8] Karen Erickson Paige writes: "In the United States, the current medical rationale for circumcision developed after the operation was in wide practice. The original reason for the surgical removal of the foreskin, or prepuce, was to control 'masturbatory insanity' - the range of mental disorders that people believed were caused by the 'polluting' practice of 'self-abuse.'"

"Self-abuse" was a term commonly used to describe masturbation in the 19th century. According to Paige, "treatments ranged from diet, moral exhortations, hydrotherapy, and marriage, to such drastic measures as surgery, physical restraints, frights, and punishment. Some doctors recommended covering the penis with plaster of Paris, leather, or rubber; cauterization; making boys wear chastity belts or spiked rings; and in extreme cases, castration." Paige details how circumcision became popular as a masturbation remedy:

"In the 1890s, it became a popular technique to prevent, or cure, masturbatory insanity. In 1891 the president of the Royal College of Surgeons of England published On Circumcision as Preventive of Masturbation, and two years later another British doctor wrote Circumcision: Its Advantages and How to Perform It, which listed the reasons for removing the 'vestigial' prepuce. Evidently the foreskin could cause 'nocturnal incontinence,' hysteria, epilepsy, and irritation that might 'give rise to erotic stimulation and, consequently, masturbation.' Another physician, P.C. Remondino, added that 'circumcision is like a substantial and well-secured life annuity...it insures better health, greater capacity for labor, longer life, less nervousness, sickness, loss of time, and less doctor bills.' No wonder it became a popular remedy."[24]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_male_circumcision</H2>

I know that's kind of tacky, but you all should understand why this is done in our society today.

• Topic Count:  66
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,363
  • Content Per Day:  1.12
  • Days Won:  9

Ya know.... I live my life (fairly successfully) on a "need to know" basis only and I just don't think I want to know anymore about this.... scary...

how silly that anyone could have ever thought circumcision would prevent people from masturbating. LOL that just strikes me as incredibly funny.

believer, true. it's not pleasant. i have a grandson who was not circumcised at birth. because of medical reasons (not related to hygiene, but to the malformation of the foreskin) he had to undergo the procedure at the age of 4. the next week or two while he was recovering was extremely uncomfortable! poor little guy! i can' only imagine having it done at the age of 88!

Guest HIS girl
how silly that anyone could have ever thought circumcision would prevent people from masturbating. LOL that just strikes me as incredibly funny.

believer, true. it's not pleasant. i have a grandson who was not circumcised at birth. because of medical reasons (not related to hygiene, but to the malformation of the foreskin) he had to undergo the procedure at the age of 4. the next week or two while he was recovering was extremely uncomfortable! poor little guy! i can' only imagine having it done at the age of 88!

Yeah, Abraham was pretty old when he did it too and wasn't Isaac around 13??

Put this picture in your head..... General George Patton in camoflauge pajamas and waking up without something he's had for 88 years.... it wasn't pretty..... not pretty at all.

Guest HIS girl

Put this picture in your head..... General George Patton in camoflauge pajamas and waking up without something he's had for 88 years.... it wasn't pretty..... not pretty at all.

...I feel for him..poor man! :thumbsup::047:

Psychologists in the late 1800's and early 1900's did some really scary things to fix different kinds of problems. Lobotomies and serious electric shocks came from the same crowd, and many of them were involved in the eugenics programs in the USA in the late teens and twenties which fed Hitler with the notion of removing what he considered the curse of Jews from the planet. We had some really evil people in this country around the turn of the century and they just seemed to feed on each others ideas.

Psychologists in the late 1800's and early 1900's did some really scary things to fix different kinds of problems. Lobotomies and serious electric shocks came from the same crowd, and many of them were involved in the eugenics programs in the USA in the late teens and twenties which fed Hitler with the notion of removing what he considered the curse of Jews from the planet. We had some really evil people in this country around the turn of the century and they just seemed to feed on each others ideas.

And oddly enough - they are using modified shock treatment again to treat people with various psychiatric problems not responding to medication. I have a close friend who went through this about 3 years ago - she had been in a nearly catatonic state for almost a year. She's perfectly well now. It's amazing.