Permie

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  91
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

I have a question on a particular scripture and hope that I have placed this topic in the correct forum.

My question is simple. What does this scripture mean?

So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them. Genesis 1:27

God created man in his own image; God is a spiritual being. To me, the scripture implies that we too, are created as spiritual beings. We are not just physical beings. We are two-fold entities, so-to-speak.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  213
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Birthday:  05/12/1958

I have a question on a particular scripture and hope that I have placed this topic in the correct forum.

So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them. Genesis 1:27

You should of included verse 26: "Then God said,

Guest shiloh357
It means that God created both male and female. It is a reference to Adam and Eve. That verse is expanded on in Gen. 2.

I just read Genesis chapter 2 and do not see what it means to be "created in the image of God".

It refers to being created in God's moral image. Like God we are able to reasons and communicate in abstract terms as well as concrete. What one must not do is take more from the phrase "image of God" than is implied in a given text.

Jesus is the "express image of the invisible God." That is a different context and means that Jesus is living emblem of God's invisible qualities. Another way to put it is that Jesus was a living revelation of God's character and operation.

God created man in his own image; God is a spiritual being. To me, the scripture implies that we too, are created as spiritual beings. We are not just physical beings. We are two-fold entities, so-to-speak.

Yes, I agree God is Spirit. The scriptures do, to me also, tell that we are spiritual beings.

As for 2-fold, I can go along with that, but ... lol, always a but! But, I also perceive that we have souls making us actually 3 part beings, imo.

It means that God created both male and female. It is a reference to Adam and Eve. That verse is expanded on in Gen. 2.

I just read Genesis chapter 2 and do not see what it means to be "created in the image of God".

It refers to being created in God's moral image. Like God we are able to reasons and communicate in abstract terms as well as concrete. What one must not do is take more from the phrase "image of God" than is implied in a given text.

Jesus is the "express image of the invisible God." That is a different context and means that Jesus is living emblem of God's invisible qualities. Another way to put it is that Jesus was a living revelation of God's character and operation.

Jesus was obedient unto death the scriptures tell us. And yes, He did perfectly reflect the image of God... Jesus is our template that we are to follow so that we too can be in His image. The same image is possible for us by the same method: believing, trusting, obeying God and by picking up our own cross and following Jesus all the way up that hill He walked... to be worthy.

He resisted all the temptations of Satan. Praise and all Glory to Jesus!

Permie:

Yes, I agree God is Spirit. The scriptures do, to me also, tell that we are spiritual beings.

As for 2-fold, I can go along with that, but ... lol, always a but! But, I also perceive that we have souls making us actually 3 part beings, imo.

We are body, spirit, soul? I need help here. Is this off-topic?

Permie:

Mark 12:30

And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment.

Luke 10:27

And he answering said, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbour as thyself.

As for off topic? I don't know... maybe a good thread might be: How do I love God with my soul? Or, maybe... How does the soul affect/influence me?

The Spirit that gives man life (God breathed, breath is equated with God's spirit, life into us causing us to become living souls) anyway... The Spirit that gives man life doesn't have to be instructed to love God, but the soul that doesn't obey/trust/believe in God doesn't know His Spirit... having hid themselves from God just as Adam and Eve did after their disobedience.

Permie:

And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment.

And he answering said, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbour as thyself.

As for off topic? I don't know... maybe a good thread might be: How do I love God with my soul? Or, maybe... How does the soul affect/influence me?

The Spirit that gives man life (God breathed, breath is equated with God's spirit, life into us causing us to become living souls) anyway... The Spirit that gives man life doesn't have to be instructed to love God, but the soul that doesn't obey/trust/believe in God doesn't know His Spirit... having hid themselves from God just as Adam and Eve did after their disobedience.

So, then the Spirit loves God inherently, but it is the soul of a man (his inclinations, motivations, etc.) that makes the decision to accept Christ or not accept Christ? If we don't accept Christ, then we don't know or recognize the Spirit of God that lives within us from birth? (and yet, the Spirit is there in everyone, from birth, regardless?)To love God in truth our soul must align itself with the spirit of God inside us? So is our soul our "free will"? And our body's just the temple, the shell we leave behind at death?

Sorry that was a LOT of questions. :thumbsup: I think I'm confused. Is our mind part of our soul? Is the Spirit our strength? Is our heart part of all three? Somebody stop me!!! :thumbsup:

Permie:

So, then the Spirit loves God inherently, but it is the soul of a man (his inclinations, motivations, etc.) that makes the decision to accept Christ or not accept Christ? If we don't accept Christ, then we don't know or recognize the Spirit of God that lives within us from birth? (and yet, the Spirit is there in everyone, from birth, regardless?)To love God in truth our soul must align itself with the spirit of God inside us? So is our soul our "free will"? And our body's just the temple, the shell we leave behind at death?

Sorry that was a LOT of questions. :b: I think I'm confused. Is our mind part of our soul? Is the Spirit our strength? Is our heart part of all three? Somebody stop me!!! :noidea:

LOL

Your first paragraph: Just take off the question marks and that is pretty much how I understand it for the most part.

Second paragraph: Our mind is influenced by our soul, yes, as is the rest of our us, but we can master it instead of it mastering us i.e. discipline. And, yes, I consider the Spirit to be our strength: "We can do all things through Christ, who strengthens us."

The heart... hmmm, I tend to think of the heart as our motivations and intentions. Essentially, the soul is the personality... the amalgam of the other three parts: mind, heart, strength... and yet more.

Stop you? I wouldn't think of it!

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.09
  • Days Won:  78

I have a question of my own. Why would one who is obviously well versed in Scripture ask such a rudimentary question?