Permie

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  2
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

I have a question on a particular scripture and hope that I have placed this topic in the correct forum.

My question is simple. What does this scripture mean?

So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them. Genesi

It means that man is created in Gods image..the emotions we have is cause God has them ..love..hate ..etc...the creativity as well as the ability to procreate comes from God...however..the fall distorted all these God functions in us so to speak ..the Bible speaks of the "arm " of God..the "hand of God " etc...things that humans have ...if you want more detail I will almost have to post a whole bible study on here ok...lol...but hopefully you get the jist of it ..

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  213
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Birthday:  05/12/1958

I have a question on a particular scripture and hope that I have placed this topic in the correct forum.

So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them. Genesis 1:27

I have a question of my own. Why would one who is obviously well versed in Scripture ask such a rudimentary question?

The reason was mentioned in my reply to Dave (I can't spell his user name right off the top of my head). He said I erred in my understanding. So, I am asking... what exactly does that verse mean. If I am in error, I wish to correct myself. (Another reason is because I asked that question in another thread and was told it wasn't relevant to the topic.)

As you see it as a rudimentary question, do you have an answer?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.09
  • Days Won:  78

So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them. Genesis 1:27

I have a question of my own. Why would one who is obviously well versed in Scripture ask such a rudimentary question?

The reason was mentioned in my reply to Dave (I can't spell his user name right off the top of my head). He said I erred in my understanding. So, I am asking... what exactly does that verse mean. If I am in error, I wish to correct myself. (Another reason is because I asked that question in another thread and was told it wasn't relevant to the topic.)

Of course..........

Genesis I:

26 Then God said, "Let us make man in our image, in our likeness, and let them rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air, over the livestock, over all the earth, [b] and over all the creatures that move along the ground."

27 So God created man in his own image,

in the image of God he created him;

male and female he created them.

We were created to be like God; we are His children, after all. The verse means what it means and nothing else. :noidea:

So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them. Genesi

It means that man is created in Gods image..the emotions we have is cause God has them ..love..hate ..etc...the creativity as well as the ability to procreate comes from God...however..the fall distorted all these God functions in us so to speak ..the Bible speaks of the "arm " of God..the "hand of God " etc...things that humans have ...if you want more detail I will almost have to post a whole bible study on here ok...lol...but hopefully you get the jist of it ..

Hello, alpha77,

I almost missed your post! Noticed the number of posts and realized it was different than what I "thought" it should be and lo' there was your post.

May I first welcome you to Worthy and look forward to discussing our love of Jesus and His Word with you.

As for what you wrote about the image of God, I think I do get the jist of it. :noidea: Thank you for contributing.

Of course..........

Genesis I:

26 Then God said, "Let us make man in our image, in our likeness, and let them rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air, over the livestock, over all the earth, [b] and over all the creatures that move along the ground."

We were created to be like God; we are His children, after all. The verse means what it means and nothing else. :noidea:

Thank you MorningGlory.

So, does that mean we will be like God?

Welcome to Worthy, Alpha. Why don't you expand on your post above? :noidea:

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

That is why I am asking in the opening post what that verse in Genesis means. Especially since 2 Corinthians 4:4 shows, to me, that it is Christ who is made in the image of God: In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.

"God created man in his own image"

"Christ, who is the image of God"

Not to be insulting, but does it take an English teacher to explain to you the difference between "created in the image of" and "is the image of"?

I am truly baffled by your line of reasoning.

Of course..........

Genesis I:

We were created to be like God; we are His children, after all. The verse means what it means and nothing else. :thumbsup:

Thank you MorningGlory.

So, does that mean we will be like God?

It means we were created in the image of His holiness; we were meant to be faithful, merciful, patient, honest and loving just as He is. After the fall, of course, mankind falls woefully short.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  1,285
  • Content Count:  17,917
  • Content Per Day:  2.27
  • Days Won:  19

Permie:
Yes, I agree God is Spirit. The scriptures do, to me also, tell that we are spiritual beings.

As for 2-fold, I can go along with that, but ... lol, always a but! But, I also perceive that we have souls making us actually 3 part beings, imo.

We are body, spirit, soul? I need help here. Is this off-topic?

Mark 12:30

And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment.

Luke 10:27

And he answering said, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbour as thyself.

As for off topic? I don't know... maybe a good thread might be: How do I love God with my soul? Or, maybe... How does the soul affect/influence me?

The Spirit that gives man life (God breathed, breath is equated with God's spirit, life into us causing us to become living souls) anyway... The Spirit that gives man life doesn't have to be instructed to love God, but the soul that doesn't obey/trust/believe in God doesn't know His Spirit... having hid themselves from God just as Adam and Eve did after their disobedience.

So, then the Spirit loves God inherently, but it is the soul of a man (his inclinations, motivations, etc.) that makes the decision to accept Christ or not accept Christ? If we don't accept Christ, then we don't know or recognize the Spirit of God that lives within us from birth? (and yet, the Spirit is there in everyone, from birth, regardless?)To love God in truth our soul must align itself with the spirit of God inside us? So is our soul our "free will"? And our body's just the temple, the shell we leave behind at death?

Sorry that was a LOT of questions. :blink: I think I'm confused. Is our mind part of our soul? Is the Spirit our strength? Is our heart part of all three? Somebody stop me!!! :thumbsup:

LOL

Your first paragraph: Just take off the question marks and that is pretty much how I understand it for the most part.

Second paragraph: Our mind is influenced by our soul, yes, as is the rest of our us, but we can master it instead of it mastering us i.e. discipline. And, yes, I consider the Spirit to be our strength: "We can do all things through Christ, who strengthens us."

The heart... hmmm, I tend to think of the heart as our motivations and intentions. Essentially, the soul is the personality... the amalgam of the other three parts: mind, heart, strength... and yet more.

Stop you? I wouldn't think of it!

Grace to you,

There's the glaring error in your line of thought again and it isn't scriptural.

Excuse me for saying this in case I have misrepresented your thoughts. It appears that you think that the Spirit of God, Christ Himself, dwells richly in all men.

This assumption is in error.

A beloved sister and servant of God here," Traveller," wrote this in another thread which has been removed; (I'm not trying to insert Traveller into the discussion. I just find her reasoning sound and scripturally based.)

1Jo 2:9 He that saith he is in the light, and hateth his brother, is in darkness even until now.

So - how can the Light be in those who house the dark? God is holy. He cannot abide evil. Yet, we know that there are those who have unclean spirits in them.

1Jo 1:5 This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all.

There it is again.

1Pe 2:9 But ye [are] a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light:

1Pe 2:10 Which in time past [were] not a people, but [are] now the people of God: which had not obtained mercy, but now have obtained mercy.

Everyone does not have the Spirit of God within them. God has enemies, those who have rejected Him. New Age thinking says that God is in everything and everyone. God is Sovereign, and in ultimate control of all things, but He is not in all things.

Peace,

Dave

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  895
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Days Won:  1

Hello Permie!

I think we can look at this passage this way. If God had a mold to make humans, it was Adam. This mold was to reflect God and so Adam is a refection of God. Adam was not God, he was part of Gods creation. As God is unique in that there is nothing like Him, in creation there is nothing like mankind. When God created Adam He gave Adam some God-like qualities. Intellegence, emotions, language, and a conscience. Psalms 139:14 we are wonderfully made.

Hope this helps

e