IGNORED

Delight in the Law

David loved the law of the Lord. Ps 119 continually emphasis this fact.

Psa 119:70 Their heart is without feeling, like fat; but I delight in Your Law.

Psa 119:77 Let Your tender mercies come to me so that I may live; for Your Law is my delight.

Psa 119:92 Unless Your Law had been my delight, I should then have perished in my affliction.

Seems to be a bit of a foreign concept these days. Do we still delight in the law? I delight when I see glimpses of Christ in the feasts and sacrifices. I delight when I see a reflection of the gospel in creation the account of creation.

I think nowadays the law is seen as bad or antiquated or irrelevant. But thinking that Yeshua upheld the law, rather than destroy the law, really drives home (to me) that there is inherent goodness about it. It is God's law! God did not make an evil thing.

So what is it about the law that you delight in, and how? What feature of the law do you think David was delighting in, given that David had not seen or heard about Yeshua?

Very interesting question; in the OT the Law of God for better study can be: The moral Laws; the civil laws; the health laws; and the ceremonial laws, this last one was nailed to the cross, this last one was "shadows of things to come" is void now because it fulfill the purpose that pointed to Jesus as our savior.

But the moral law or

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  105
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,741
  • Content Per Day:  0.28
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/30/1959

So what is it about the law that you delight in, and how? What feature of the law do you think David was delighting in, given that David had not seen or heard about Yeshua?

I can't answer for David but I can answer for myself how the law is a delight in my life. When I learn and do put Gods words, His instructions for all life before my own, thats a delight and a blessing. Its the correction I get, its the directions I get when I walk in Gods ways. I see the law as what they are meant to be instructions on how to live a godly life. We are told to live by Gods word, that He plants His seed (word) within us and we are to put that above our own so when I am doing that the joy and peace I have is far greated feelings than I ever felt when doing things my way.

I am pretty sure David knew about the Messiah, he may not have seen the man Yeshua would be in the flesh but David knew all about what the Messiah would do and why. Psalm 2 seems to read like David knew about the Annointed One of the Lord, there are others that show David did know the Messiah. Psalms 40 and 45 also show how David knew the Messiah, so many others books within Psalms reveal that David as well as many others knew about the Messiah and the Kingdom.

Mizz

Yes we are getting there!

I think he focused on the Torah (Gen - Deut). Using only those first five books, what do you delight in?

For example, what would you delight in, in Leviticus???

I totally delight in the fact that God actually spoke to Moses and travelled with the people ! I delight in the fact that God gave such explicit instructions for the people to carry out the sacred drama, each and very act of the play telling about some present or future event of importance. though we do not yet know what they were all for, the minute detail of every scene will be found one day to be just amazing. i delight in the fact that through such strict obedience, the Israelites were eventually able to birth Jesus Christ. I delight in trying to unravel the mystery of this book though it is certainly a challenge.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  517
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  0

Paul said he had nothing against preaching the law so long as those who preached it acknowledged that the law was for sinners. What he meant by that is open to interpretation since we're all sinners. I think it means not that the law is bad but that we who break it are not good. This would direct us toward our maker in seeking why we are not and how we can become good. This is how it was for me and this led me to Christ where I found healing for what David described as an affliction when contemplating the law. I believe David delighted in the law because it reveals the tendencies of God and the propspects of His justice. David must have had God's Word in his heart to be able to appreciate them.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  679
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  1

Psa 119:77 Let Your tender mercies come to me so that I may live; for Your Law is my delight.

Psa 119:92 Unless Your Law had been my delight, I should then have perished in my affliction.

Seems to be a bit of a foreign concept these days. Do we still delight in the law? I delight when I see glimpses of Christ in the feasts and sacrifices. I delight when I see a reflection of the gospel in creation the account of creation.

I think nowadays the law is seen as bad or antiquated or irrelevant. But thinking that Yeshua upheld the law, rather than destroy the law, really drives home (to me) that there is inherent goodness about it. It is God's law! God did not make an evil thing.

I love this question!

Why do I delight in the Law and, if I may add, every word that proceeds from the mouth of God?

Because it is truth.

And my experience bears out the truth of God's words. I can accurately predict the consequences of certain actions because God has warned against them and tells us what to expect if we do not heed his warnings.

So, for instance, I know where homosexuality leads; I know where divorce leads; I know where being unequally yoked leads; it doesn't matter what society or man's law, or fashion, or current culture says on any matter, if any of these disagree with God's Word, it is they who will found to be wrong and God's Words that will be found to be right and the truth of the matter.

And the longer I live the more I prove the absolute truth of God's words. It's like having a precious secret whereby one can know the outcome before it happens. Better still, it guides every step of one's way. Once you believe that God's words are 100% truth, and actually see it working in one's life, living by God's Word becomes easy. And even when one hits a brick wall of lack of understanding, one can move forward in total trust knowing that God will always be proved right even though one cannot see how.

And even the Levitical hygiene laws are still apposite - they provide the best way, for instance, of preventing transmission of disease. And the ceremonial laws reveal to me the character of God, especially His holiness, which is awe-inspiring - and awe is a quality that often seems to me to be lacking in the church today.

It is so liberating it almost makes me jump for joy!

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  4,492
  • Content Per Day:  0.61
  • Days Won:  18

I love this question!

Why do I delight in the Law and, if I may add, every word that proceeds from the mouth of God?

Because it is truth.

And my experience bears out the truth of God's words. I can accurately predict the consequences of certain actions because God has warned against them and tells us what to expect if we do not heed his warnings.

So, for instance, I know where homosexuality leads; I know where divorce leads; I know where being unequally yoked leads; it doesn't matter what society or man's law, or fashion, or current culture says on any matter, if any of these disagree with God's Word, it is they who will found to be wrong and God's Words that will be found to be right and the truth of the matter.

And the longer I live the more I prove the absolute truth of God's words. It's like having a precious secret whereby one can know the outcome before it happens. Better still, it guides every step of one's way. Once you believe that God's words are 100% truth, and actually see it working in one's life, living by God's Word becomes easy. And even when one hits a brick wall of lack of understanding, one can move forward in total trust knowing that God will always be proved right even though one cannot see how.

And even the Levitical hygiene laws are still apposite - they provide the best way, for instance, of preventing transmission of disease. And the ceremonial laws reveal to me the character of God, especially His holiness, which is awe-inspiring - and awe is a quality that often seems to me to be lacking in the church today.

It is so liberating it almost makes me jump for joy!

I thoroughly enjoyed your response....the Law of the L-rd is perfect, rejoicing the soul. Botz :emot-highfive:

• Topic Count:  83
  • Content Count:  1,683
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Birthday:  02/14/1962

The Law is so Old Testament. I delight when I see Jesus, or should I see I see Jesus through someone's kind actions or deeds.

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  955
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  11,318
  • Content Per Day:  1.89
  • Days Won:  33

The Law is so Old Testament. I delight when I see Jesus, or should I see I see Jesus through someone's kind actions or deeds.

huh? You don't see Jesus in the OT? The OT is not valueless...

• Topic Count:  83
  • Content Count:  1,683
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Birthday:  02/14/1962

Yes, you're right. I didn't say the OT was valuless. The Law became obsolete when Jesus came ,though. He gave us 2 commandments to replace them;

1. Love the Lord your God with all your heart ,mind,and soul.

2. Love your neighbor as yourself.

Guest shiloh357

Yes, you're right. I didn't say the OT was valuless. The Law became obsolete when Jesus came ,though. He gave us 2 commandments to replace them;

This is not true. First of all the Bible does not teach that the law became obsolete. It teaches that the Old Covenant administration of the law became Obsolete (Hebrews 8:13). The law is now administered under a New Covenant and under a new priestly order (Melchi-tzedek)

Those two commandments were not given by Jesus to replace the law. Jesus gave those two commandments as a summation of the law. All of the law and the prophets, according to Jesus are summed up in those two commandments. They stand as topical categories. The commandments of the law are either teaching you how to love God or how to love man.

• Topic Count:  173
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,911
  • Content Per Day:  0.66
  • Days Won:  10

Yeshua was not saying anything new at all but quoting from Due. 6 and Lev. He did not replace anything except the priesthood and the need for sacrifices. Yeshua filled up the law, He fulfilled it by showing us how we can fulfill it, when we love as He taught us to love we are fulfilling His Torah. If God says 'If you love me keep my commandments' shouldn't we doing that? Since these are not new commandments but Him showing that all things must come through love, that without love in ones heart not one bit of the law can be walked out shouldn't we be keeping His commandments?

shalom,

Mizz