• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  272
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  01/01/1956

I have demonstrated in the past that "doing something" is not the same as performing a work. The "work" was done on the cross. YOU have nothing to add to it. Yes, we must "do something." We must receive the gift by faith alone. Work creates a result or produces an effect. Work provides wages. No one said that we have nothing to do. All we said is that we have no "works" that contribute to effecting salvation.

Don't get confused by what I understand others to purvey vs you. I understand what you are saying here and agree. Do you not read the others posts who say doing something is a work?

We say that we are saved by Christ alone. You accuse of saying that we are saved by faith alone. Faith does not save; Jesus saves.

We meaning everyone on this board? Or, everyone with whom you agree. (This reminds me of the times when 3 or more people are discussing something and someone else pipes in and says "What he is saying is..." Are you clarifying for all responders here?)

There are many here who claim Romans 10:9-10 , 13, Acts 2:21, Eph 2:8-9 in the strictest sense saying that anything not faith is a work otherwise grace isn't grace. At least that's how I understand them. Do you wish to interpret for them as well? Are they, like you, saying faith and repentance is included in faith? (see below)

In this case, "faith does not save; Jesus saves", I agree with you as have stated time and again, maybe not in those exact words. Christ alone saved us. Again, read the posts of others who appear to indicate that faith(in Christ) alone saves. There was one, at least who said no repentance was needed at all in other threads look at post #24 by OneLight who says you are saved then you repent. You said in post #18"Repentance is the response of faith to the gospel. Repentance happens the minute you acknowledge the gospel by faith. You cannot believe and not repent. It is impossible. Repentance is included in faith." That is your personal belief, I respect that. To me repentance is not included in "faith" proper, but more so an indicator of saving faith. Repentance will follow faith.

Salvation is already in the earth. Salvation is already a done deal. Salvation is not produced by our faith. That would make faith the object of our faith. What we are saying is that Christ alone is the obect of our faith.

Understood.

To claim that works are necessary for salvation is a direct contradiction of Scripture:

Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law. (Rom 3:28)

And to the one who does not work but believes in him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is counted as righteousness,

(Rom 4:5)

yet we know that a person is not justified by works of the law but through faith in Jesus Christ, so we also have believed in Christ Jesus, in order to be justified by faith in Christ and not by works of the law, because by works of the law no one will be justified.

(Gal 2:16)

Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;

(Tit 3:5)

And I agree.

Your view makes works the object of faith and not Christ.

I haven't implied that at all. If so, show me where so that I won't make that mistake.

That is why your position falls outside genuine Christianity and leaves you outside of Christ.

So now you've judged me. :)

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  21
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

Jesus tells us that the righteous are those who are not only hearers of his words, but also doers. As he tells us to repent of our sins and to follow. So no, you can't be saved without repenting.

Paul talked about this in Romans when people were asking, "Shall we sin more so that grace may increase?" Paul replied, "By no means. We died to our sins how can we abide in any longer."

Christ and the apostles each give us a list of sins that will keep us from heaven. The whole point of repentance is being sincerely sorry for our sins and turning away from them.

If there is no difference between us and the world can we actually say that Christ is alive in us and changing us for His glory. If one says they follow Christ yet is still a drunkard, engaging in sexual immorality, or only thinks of themselves how can they claim that Christ is giving them, "Life and that more abundantly"?

Christ, after he prevented the pharisees from stoning Mary told her to, "go and sin no more." Repentance is usually followed by showing our love for our lord by OBEYING his commandments. "If you love Me you will Obey my commandments".

The people of Ninevah, in Jonah's day were spared because they repented from their sins and cried out to God for Mercy.

When ever Israel fell away from the Lord they were always commanded to repent, turn from their wickedness, and seek the Lord.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.92
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

As I tried explaining before, the Hebrew concept of faith implies action. No action, no faith. This is what James was trying to convey to his listeners. It is not considered faith if there are no actions to back it up.

Believing the facts of Jesus means nothing if the belief is not lived and expressed and performed.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  272
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Birthday:  01/01/1956

As I tried explaining before, the Hebrew concept of faith implies action. No action, no faith. This is what James was trying to convey to his listeners. It is not considered faith if there are no actions to back it up.

Believing the facts of Jesus means nothing if the belief is not lived and expressed and performed.

Good point. :)