IGNORED

Arizona Governor Signs Controversial Immigration Bill

nebula

Guest shiloh357
QUOTE (Axxman @ Apr 28 2010, 03:01 AM)

However, even with my support, I must wonder about the issue of race and how it plays into this. There is NO DOUBT that this law focuses on one race in particular...and even your comments on mexicans and "mexifornia"...indicates that you acknowledge that this law is directed at a specific race of people. I have a bit of a hard time with that.

Race is only an issue due to location. It would not make any difference if blond-haired blue-eyed swedes were coming across the borders, smuggling drugs and engaging in human trafficking. The issue is the crimes being committed by people who are here illegally. They are not being singled out and persecuted over the color of their skin. To say otherwise is to be intellectually dishonest about the issue.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  24
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  3,292
  • Content Per Day:  0.52
  • Days Won:  0

Yeah and so have the law enforcement officers in Arizona who support this law. They have said that had this been in place earlier, it would have saved the lives of their fellow officers and several civilians.

Desipte what you think, you are NOT the last word on every subject you choose to address.

Ummm...I support this law. I have plainly stated that I agree with the components of the law, I support the Governor, and I agree with the issues that made this law happen. I have some reservations about the racial aspects of how this new law will be enforced...but even then I acknowledged that it was based on the fact that NOBODY has yet received any training on how to apply this new law. I do wish Arizona would enact laws that specifically address illegal immigration. This law does NOTHING to seal the border and thats what we need. Yes, its better than nothing I guess...but in reality it does nothing to curb the real problem and that is the open border. Like I said before, "This law basically acknowledges that we are letting them in, we can't to stop them, so lets just target everyone (American citizens included)."

I am not trying to be the "last word" on any subject...I have been pretty unbiased on this particular subject and overall supportive of the idea behind this new law. One of the reasons I support this law is because of Pinal County Sheriff Paul Babeu...he supports it and he has been on the frontlines of this issue calling for federal help and troops to the border...and a continuation of the border fence (which Obama suspended.) I agree ALOT with Sheriff Babeu. You should know that the Sheriff of our county is against the law and has gone on record saying he will not enforce it in our county (obviously I have issues with that too.)

I know many that are on both sides of this issue. I also happen to know that many police chiefs, and county sheriffs are against this law. The Association for Arizona Chiefs of Police is against it too.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  828
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Birthday:  12/28/1980

Completely racist.

Jim crow laws come back.

Race is only an issue due to location.

Wow...so you do admit that race is an issue.

It would not make any difference if blond-haired blue-eyed swedes were coming across the borders, smuggling drugs and engaging in human trafficking. The issue is the crimes being committed by people who are here illegally. They are not being singled out and persecuted over the color of their skin. To say otherwise is to be intellectually dishonest about the issue.

Honestly...you have a van full of white American citizens, and a van full of latino American citizens pulled over for speeding...which one is is more likely to be asked for proof of citizenship under this new law? You want to be intellectually honest...here is your chance.

Completely racist.

Jim crow laws come back.

Totally disagree! The people in the news making those accusations have a complete disregard for history. There is simply no comparison between this new law and the Jim Crow laws, or the nazi's. This new law is designed to combat people breaking the law! I agree with Jeb Bush that the law has "unintended consequences," but the rhetoric and ridiculous comparisons by liberals to the civil rights era and nazi germany are completely dishonest.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Honestly...you have a van full of white American citizens, and a van full of latino American citizens pulled over for speeding...which one is is more likely to be asked for proof of citizenship under this new law?

What are the chances a van full of white people would be illegal immigrants?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,229
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

It would not make any difference if blond-haired blue-eyed swedes were coming across the borders, smuggling drugs and engaging in human trafficking. The issue is the crimes being committed by people who are here illegally. They are not being singled out and persecuted over the color of their skin. To say otherwise is to be intellectually dishonest about the issue.

Honestly...you have a van full of white American citizens, and a van full of latino American citizens pulled over for speeding...which one is is more likely to be asked for proof of citizenship under this new law? You want to be intellectually honest...here is your chance.

Well, in Arizona, if the cops are smart, they'll check everyone...... white, black, yellow or whatever....

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Well, in Arizona, if the cops are smart, they'll check everyone...... white, black, yellow or whatever....

For the same reason restaurants and bars will card 80 year-olds, right?

Guest shiloh357
QUOTE (shiloh357 @ Apr 28 2010, 07:45 AM)

Here you go with the spin again.

What I said was that it is an issue due to location. The law itself does not make race an issue. The law was not conceived to persecute or profile any race of people. Race is only being played up to avoid the moral reasons the law was enacted. The fact that Americans were murdered seems to take a backseat because the perps are latino. The traffickers and smugglers and drug dealers are latino, but more imporantly, they are illegal aliens and they are committing crimes on American soil against American citizens. The charge of racial profiling has no merit in this case.

QUOTE (shiloh357 @ Apr 28 2010, 07:45 AM)

Well within the context of the current discussion, the latinos would more likely be asked for proof of citizenship, however, context is important. If America were bordering Sweden, Finland or Denmark, then whites caught speeding might challenged. America is bordering Mexico, and so far, the offenders have been of latino/hispanic descent, so naturally, they will be looked at closer. It is not BECAUSE of their race, but becasue of their actions. So yes, if you are talking about the counties that have the most at stake, and the police officers that patrol those counties and cities, they will more than likely ask group of latinos who were caught speeding, have no drivers licenses, do not speak English, where they are from and attempt to establish that they are either legally or illegally living in the US. That is not racism.

The point is that car is being pulled over for speeding, NOT because it was being driven by latinos. The racial profiling drivel can only be supported if it can be proven that the law was conceived and passed for the purpose of profiling or in some other way, persecuting latinos.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  519
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Birthday:  04/28/1980

This is not racist no hatered is in this at all. OK forget the PC most illegals in the southwest are from Mexico. If you can not speek english when your pulled over thats good enough reason for me to check there background. People in the US are tired of the free rides, and if they want to call it racist then so be it. wouldnt hurt my feelings.