jesussaves

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  66
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,363
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Days Won:  9

i wasn't trying to use a tone, and apologize that it came across that way. i really wanted to know if you understood. because a lot of people DON'T understand. that's why i asked. and since you felt it was rude, it did appear that you don't fully understand. and :rolleyes: since you just suggested that maybe i could explain whether it's coming out of the man or out of the Spirit, it appears i was right to ask.

no, i don't speak in tongues. years ago, i felt pressured to do so by the group i was hanging with, so i started babbling nonsensically to impress them. i hated doing it, and finally just quit. i have been blessed with gifts of the spirit, but THAT is not one of them.

however, i do know that when a person is actually speaking in tongues and not just babbling for show, that it's the outpouring of the Holy Spirit, not the outpouring of some person's yackity-yack. my best friend told me about the first time she ever prayed in tongues... she described it as being something that almost frightened her (in an awe sort of way), it was so overwhelming. she couldn't stop from opening her mouth and letting it pour out of her.

blien, the Holy Spirit was in such agreement with your prayer that He made an appearance! you should feel blessed, not offended.

I have never spoken in tongues either... but I have known Christians who have the experience. I would think that it is not something that can be scheduled and is spontaneous in nature - in the Holy Spirit. In my experience it happened during prayer and certainly was not planned. I understand what you are saying Lady C.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,229
  • Content Per Day:  7.98
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

Has this ever happened to you...I was in a group and someone took prayer requests then asked me to lead in prayer. Gladly I began to pray for all the needs mentioned...after I said amen, I realized everyone had been listening to me pray instead of joining me in prayer. After everyone got up to go home someone said to me how they really enjoyed my prayer??? I spent most of the entire hour there silently praying for the people there because I simply did not get people listening to me pray instead of agreeing together for the needs of others. ???????????????????

Ohhh boy... the weirdest one that ever happened to me was when I asked someone to pray together over a church we are attending. So we held hands and she started praying. I listened to everything she said and kept saying "Amen" every few statements. Then when it came to my turn, I was praying (not saying anything evil or anything) then she suddenly started speaking in tounges.... I'm all for speaking in tounges but that was just rude. I was paying attention and saying amen to what she did so why did she start praying right in the middle of my prayer? I had to pause for a minute because I was so shocked with what happened... and just continued but I felt as if we accomplished nothing. It was really sad (for me).

Brings this question in mind?

1 Cor 14:32-33

32 And the spirits of the prophets are subject to the prophets. 33 For God is not the author of confusion but of peace, as in all the churches of the saints.

NKJV

1 Cor 14:39-40

39 Therefore, brethren, desire earnestly to prophesy, and do not forbid to speak with tongues. 40 Let all things be done decently and in order.

NKJV

Was this the leading of God's Spirit or the effort of being spiritual by man? Love Steven

i wasn't trying to use a tone, and apologize that it came across that way. i really wanted to know if you understood. because a lot of people DON'T understand. that's why i asked. and since you felt it was rude, it did appear that you don't fully understand. and :rolleyes: since you just suggested that maybe i could explain whether it's coming out of the man or out of the Spirit, it appears i was right to ask.

no, i don't speak in tongues. years ago, i felt pressured to do so by the group i was hanging with, so i started babbling nonsensically to impress them. i hated doing it, and finally just quit. i have been blessed with gifts of the spirit, but THAT is not one of them.

however, i do know that when a person is actually speaking in tongues and not just babbling for show, that it's the outpouring of the Holy Spirit, not the outpouring of some person's yackity-yack. my best friend told me about the first time she ever prayed in tongues... she described it as being something that almost frightened her (in an awe sort of way), it was so overwhelming. she couldn't stop from opening her mouth and letting it pour out of her.

blien, the Holy Spirit was in such agreement with your prayer that He made an appearance! you should feel blessed, not offended.

I have never spoken in tongues either... but I have known Christians who have the experience. I would think that it is not something that can be scheduled and is spontaneous in nature - in the Holy Spirit. In my experience it happened during prayer and certainly was not planned. I understand what you are saying Lady C.

examine this Scripture-

32 And the spirits of the prophets are subject to the prophets. 33 For God is not the author of confusion but of peace, as in all the churches of the saints.

NKJV

and this peace is described as to be-

1 Cor 14:40

40 Let all things be done decently and in order.

NKJV

Guest LadyC

enoob, please just tell me what you're trying to say... because i'm not certain but i think you're saying that this woman was probably not truly speaking in tongues and that's why blien felt confusion?

of course God is not the author of confusion. but sometimes a lack of knowledge and understanding can cause confusion, and that may very well be what happened in the case of this woman praying in tongues while blien was praying. i think it would be presumptious to assume that the woman was acting of her own accordance. i'm not even sure that's what you are suggesting, but it sounds like it could be. can you clarify?

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,170
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

Yes I did read your whole post but I really don't appreciate the manner in which you started pointing a finger at me with your demeanor saying "do you understand?"... what am I a little kid?

Yes I do know its the Holy Spirit. I don't speak in tongues so I don't now if it just comes out of a man or woman and they can't wait. So perhaps you can answer that question for me? Do you speak in tounges? Enlighten us all with your wisdom since you know so much.

For some of us, tongues when we are praying does just come out. Personally I stopped praying publically a long time ago, for my church is not into tongues and much of the time I simply can't help it, it just happens. I didn't ask for it originally so I don't worry about it, I just let it happen when the Spirit wants it.

I don't believe that anyone should speak tongues in church unless there is someone there that can tell everyone exactly what is being said. But a prayer is between the person praying and God, through the Holy Spirit.

I can understand why you'd loose your consentration in that situation.

enoob, please just tell me what you're trying to say... because i'm not certain but i think you're saying that this woman was probably not truly speaking in tongues and that's why blien felt confusion?

of course God is not the author of confusion. but sometimes a lack of knowledge and understanding can cause confusion, and that may very well be what happened in the case of this woman praying in tongues while blien was praying. i think it would be presumptious to assume that the woman was acting of her own accordance. i'm not even sure that's what you are suggesting, but it sounds like it could be. can you clarify?

As you read the Word of God You get a sense of order about everything. In Revelation when one speaks all else listens, for the speaking is for the listening or else why speak or why listen? If both have the Spirit of God within and are subject to that influence then the question now is why would God interrupt Himself in speaking so that the one praying is not understood by the one speaking in tongues also the reverse? The verses I quoted I believe are directed to that answer. This is such a debated topic now days that even a mention that it is being used wrong or is not of this day brings immediate polarization of the distinction of beliefs. This movement has strife built in it so we know that we must yield our hearts to The Holy Spirit if it is to be discussed! Because I love you as well as all else that name the Name of Christ as Lord and Savior and wish to always uphold His Name to a received glory by Him in as much among you. So let us speak without threat or emotion but to know one another in this matter without the judgment of hostility. Love Steven

Guest LadyC

like i said, i've never spoken in tongues. i tried, i faked it, but i've never been blessed with that particular gift of the spirit. your take on it, and on those scriptures being a direct answer to that issue, is something i'll have to do some more studying on to see whether your analysis of scripture lines up correctly, but at the moment, i'm leaning the other direction.

and since i have never spoken in tongues, i have no dog in this fight.

but having been in a position where i tried and faked it, i know that doing such for show is something that brings immense conviction... not to mention it sounds silly not only to one's own ears, but to anyone listening. and since a friend of mine described it with such awe, of having been unable to suppress it, then it would seem to me that you're bordering on calling the woman a fraud, without knowing her, without knowing her walk with Christ, and without knowing the motives or intent of her heart.

and since scripture says (pardon me for not looking up the chapter/verse to reference, it's 2:30 in the morning and i just got home from work...) that whatever is not of God is of satan, and since scripture also says that to attribute the workings of the Holy Spirit to that of the devil is blasphemy of the Holy Spirit, the unforgivable sin, i think i'd much rather err on the side of caution.

it's interesting that you believe that praying in tongues would cause someone confusion. i do believe that you may be confusing praying in tongues with prophecy that is spoken in tongues. when one gives prophecy in tongues, there absolutely must be someone to interpret it. but there is no such command in scripture that i'm aware of that says that if you pray in tongues and anyone hears, it must be interpreted. if i'm missing some scriptures, please post them in their entire context for me.

i think it is far more likely that blien's lack of understanding of what praying in tongues is about is what is causing his confusion. i've been to many, many churches over the course of my lifetime, of many different denominations, and someone praying in tongues as i pray (or others pray) has never seemed to cause any confusion or distress to anyone i've ever known. it's as normal as saying "amen" during someone else's prayer, and to me, actually seems more normal. more real. more comforting. because when i'm praying and someone who is in my prayer circle starts praying in tongues, i feel the presence of the Holy Spirit in a way that i don't feel otherwise. it's palpable. almost tangible.

being in a prayer circle isn't a "my turn your turn" sort of thing, IMO. agreeing together in prayer doesn't mean everyone else must stay silent or be relegated to peppering someone else's prayer with "amen". i can see it would definitely be impolite to interrupt someone else, cut them off, and start praying your own prayer in english, but when someone is agreeing in prayer through the Holy Spirit, that's NOT cutting someone else off. it's just simply agreeing in prayer. just like saying amen, only they are doing so through the Spirit.

the only way i would even consider making a leap that a person who prays in tongues while someone else is praying is doing it for show, and without the authority of the Holy Spirit, is if the person is babbling so loudly that it is undeniably trying to be heard over the person who is praying. i have seen that happen. only once or twice, but i've seen it. it wasn't one person, it was several, and they seemed to be trying to out-babble each other. it was disgraceful.

but that's not the image i got from blien's description of the event.

Guest lovinghim4ever
Has this ever happened to you...I was in a group and someone took prayer requests then asked me to lead in prayer. Gladly I began to pray for all the needs mentioned...after I said amen, I realized everyone had been listening to me pray instead of joining me in prayer. After everyone got up to go home someone said to me how they really enjoyed my prayer??? I spent most of the entire hour there silently praying for the people there because I simply did not get people listening to me pray instead of agreeing together for the needs of others. ???????????????????

I've been in group prayer before where I listened to the leader's prayer,

but at the same time I WAS agreeing with the prayer in my heart.

How can someone agree with something if they don't know what you are agreeing to?

I've been in group prayer before when I didn't agree with what was being prayed,

so I listen in group prayer because I want to know what it is I am agreeing with.

Just a thought . . .

:emot-hug::emot-pray: :emot-pray:

but having been in a position where i tried and faked it, i know that doing such for show is something that brings immense conviction... not to mention it sounds silly not only to one's own ears, but to anyone listening. and since a friend of mine described it with such awe, of having been unable to suppress it, then it would seem to me that you're bordering on calling the woman a fraud, without knowing her, without knowing her walk with Christ, and without knowing the motives or intent of her heart.
To interact on this forum with family in God we must take what is given, given in their experience, as to the post, and it is impossible to meet and learn the lives of the people that are spoken of! He posted She prayed and He joined in heart to her words! When He began she did not reciprocate but spoke tongues which was not interpreted and was not edifying to him, her brother in Christ!

examine this Scriptures-

NKJV

1 Corinthians 14:32

And the spirits of the prophets are subject to the prophets.

[And the spirits of the prophets are subject to the prophets.] Let no one interrupt another; and let all be ready to prefer others before themselves; and let each feel a spirit of subjection to his brethren. God grants no ungovernable gifts.

(from Adam Clarke's Commentary, Electronic Database. Copyright

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  210
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,144
  • Content Per Day:  0.15
  • Days Won:  0

Please forgive me everyone. I did not mean to start a thread that would turn into a big argument. :rolleyes: