Guest LadyC

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,264
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

If the malware has embedded itself in the registry, these step will do nothing. Norton 360 is able to pull maintenance on all aspects of your system, including the registry. Yes, it cost a little, but the software is well worth the money you spend.

Alan

I will never ever never load Norton on my PC again, my computer sales and service place warns against Norton, AVG does the job hands down. Not meaning to discredit you.

That is your choice, of course, but Norton has saved me many headaches, and many of my client from continuing headaches. No offense taken.

I agree that norton 360 is well worth the price. Norton is all I've used for years and we never have problems of that nature.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest LadyC

mcafee does a fine job... it's not the security software that is the problem. like i said, this only happens when i leave town. and it happens every time i leave town. because when the cat's away, the mouse is gonna play, and he THINKS i'll be none the wiser when i get home. i think i am gonna have to train him to NOT ignore the warnings that mcafee gives when entering a site that could be harmful to the computer. it really gets old. last time this happened it was worse. we got the blaster virus. could not get it off. couldn't even update our antivirus. couldn't download any tools to remove it. in the end, we decided to restore the whole system. for whatever reason (i can't remember what exactly we did) but it crashed the puter and we couldn't even boot it up. we had to spend a few c-notes to get it fixed, and then we had to re-install every piece of software i couldn't live without. it was a major pain. so i suppose i should count my blessings that this time it's just a browser hijacker. but i'd like to hijack the tip of a steel-toed boot right in the seat of my husband's pants.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,823
  • Content Per Day:  0.33
  • Days Won:  2

mcafee does a fine job... it's not the security software that is the problem. like i said, this only happens when i leave town. and it happens every time i leave town. because when the cat's away, the mouse is gonna play, and he THINKS i'll be none the wiser when i get home. i think i am gonna have to train him to NOT ignore the warnings that mcafee gives when entering a site that could be harmful to the computer. it really gets old. last time this happened it was worse. we got the blaster virus. could not get it off. couldn't even update our antivirus. couldn't download any tools to remove it. in the end, we decided to restore the whole system. for whatever reason (i can't remember what exactly we did) but it crashed the puter and we couldn't even boot it up. we had to spend a few c-notes to get it fixed, and then we had to re-install every piece of software i couldn't live without. it was a major pain. so i suppose i should count my blessings that this time it's just a browser hijacker. but i'd like to hijack the tip of a steel-toed boot right in the seat of my husband's pants.

You apparently found who let it in. It maybe a good idea to back-up before you leave again. It has to be removable either hd or cd/dvd rw so it will be physically not connected with your pc.

Blessings

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.22
  • Days Won:  115

Create an account only for him, permissions set to user, and change your password. His account would restrict his abilities to change a thing. Just before you leave, set the parental control in your browser to high from your profile. That way, if he tries to go where he don't belong, he would have to enter a password.

*snicker ... snicker* :P

My Bad ... sorry ... :b:

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  426
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  3,633
  • Content Per Day:  0.58
  • Days Won:  13
  • Birthday:  08/26/1978

Well if you bring it up to me I'll fix it! Your not to far away!

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  123
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,049
  • Content Per Day:  0.32
  • Days Won:  9

What's your opinion, guys and gals, should LadyC check to see if her firewall is enabled?

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  476
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  5,266
  • Content Per Day:  0.68
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/21/1954

Another great free program my sister told me about was SUPERantispyware. It got stuff that Malwarebytes missed.

Guest shiloh357

What's your opinion, guys and gals, should LadyC check to see if her firewall is enabled?

Do a clean sweep. Format the hard drive and completely remove the operating system and do a clean re-install of the OS and drivers. Be sure to save important files to a flash drive in advance though. When all else fails a clean reinstall is the answer. It has always worked for me.

Guest LadyC

monarchy, of course i have a firewall turned on. and of course, it's the one that comes with windows xp and i really have no clue how to do anything with it, so it just does its thing. i hope it does it well enough LOL.

shiloh, NO!!!! i'm trying to avoid formatting the hard drive again! if i do that, i'll have to hunt for all my favorite programs and who knows what box in storage the cd's are in (we've moved since the last time we did this!) if i have to start over from scratch, i think i'll just throw the pc in the trash and never look at one again! i'll be soooo mad....

onelight... great idea about the user thing. we've never done that because since the kids are gone, we didn't feel it was necessary, and typing in passwords is just an annoyance.. but apparently it IS necessary! i definitely think i'll do that, as soon as i can figure out what the problem is and fix it. but i won't do the parental controls. been there done that. now i just leave him and his perusing habits in God's hands. when i start trying to micro-manage my husband, things get really bad.

<snip>

onelight... great idea about the user thing. we've never done that because since the kids are gone, we didn't feel it was necessary, and typing in passwords is just an annoyance.. but apparently it IS necessary! i definitely think i'll do that, as soon as i can figure out what the problem is and fix it. but i won't do the parental controls. been there done that. now i just leave him and his perusing habits in God's hands. when i start trying to micro-manage my husband, things get really bad.

Please realize, LadyC, that you may have to do a "format & recover", aka: clean sweep, if nothing else works. On question that comes to mind for me about the husband causing problems on the PC: Is that machine the one you use for web design, and is web design a source of income for you & the family? If it is, and it was me I'd be locking the machine down so tight it wouldn't be funny . . . :whistling:

Now, there is a web site for help for things like this. It's in my signature. You'll need to register in order to post, but please read the directions for asking for help. You'll want the Virus & Other Malware Removal section. The site is run by volunteers, so it might take awhile to get an answer. The link is: Techguy.org