• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  1.99
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

When you first read these verses you may think God is telling us to give free handouts, but if you take notice God was not telling us to go out and pick up the gleamings and give it to the poor. God told us to leave the gleamings so the poor can go out and gather it for themselves. God was saying that the poor must work to put food on the table, yes the food was free but they had to work for it.

It reminds me of "You can give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, but if you teach a man to fish, he will eat for a lifetime".

I'm interested in hearing what others make out of these verses.

Firstly let me say that living in a first world country can affect ones definition of "poor".

How do people work to put food on the table when?

School children walk up to five miles after school to collect water, and then carry 25 kg of water in a bucket on their head back to the homestead, and sometimes do this twice a day. Once before school (at about 4 am) and once after school (at about 4pm), then go home and try and do homework?

IMG_0905.jpg

And their animals are dying because of drought at the same time because there is No grazing left?

IMG_0902.jpg

And they live in abject conditions, and yet walk 4 hours to church on a Sunday morning.

IMG_0903.jpg

The poor people I know, would grab work with both hands if they could get it. If they were not 5 hours from the nearest hospital, and three hours from the nearest shopping center.

They have a faith in God that humbles me......

And all they do is work!

To survive.......

These photos were taken by me, today, as South and I drove in a tribal area adjacent to one of the game reserves I help manage. The situation is dire.

Pray.

Blessings

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  1,285
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  17,917
  • Content Per Day:  2.27
  • Days Won:  19

I would add that I volunteer in a Ministry that feeds the Homeless that meet's two blocks from the White House twice a month and the Government has nothing whatsoever to do with it. There is more food and clothes available there and more Churches as well as Muslims and Cults competeing there over the Truth with more food than most of you have in your homes in the course of several months.

:blink:

Please don't tell me that we need the Government to feed the poor. :wub: We need active Churches who are alive to True Religion and honestly it's a misnomer to say that Christianity isn't doing enough. The ten percent of Christianity that is doing something is more than enough. Imagine what would happen if the other 90% got active and imagine what would happen in the way of revival if the Governments of this world would get out of the way. The resources would go farther and in the name of Christ Jesus. :wub:

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  410
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,102
  • Content Per Day:  0.48
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  11/07/1984

At tonight's class in Church two verses were mentioned that caught my attention and it showed how our government is so wrong in free handout programs.

Leviticus 19:9,10

9When you reap the harvest of your land, do not reap to the very edges of your field or gather the gleamings of your harvest.

10 Do not go over your vineyard a second time or pick up the grapes that have fallen. Leave them for the poor and the alien. I am the Lord your God.

When you first read these verses you may think God is telling us to give free handouts, but if you take notice God was not telling us to go out and pick up the gleamings and give it to the poor. God told us to leave the gleamings so the poor can go out and gather it for themselves. God was saying that the poor must work to put food on the table, yes the food was free but they had to work for it.

It reminds me of "You can give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, but if you teach a man to fish, he will eat for a lifetime".

Not just that verse but that whole chapter portrays "Love Your neighbor as Yourself" then it was Leaving some of Your crop so the poor and stranger can eat,

Now this love is our witness for the messiah, and providing those in need is required of us.

1 John 3:16-22 CJB

16 The way that we have come to know love is through his having laid down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for the brothers! 17 If someone has worldly possessions and sees his brother in need, yet closes his heart against him, how can he be loving God? 18 Children, let us love not with words and talk, but with actions and in reality! 19 Here is how we will know that we are from the truth and will set our hearts at rest in his presence: 20 if our hearts know something against us, God is greater than our hearts, and he knows everything. 21 Dear friends, if our hearts know nothing against us, we have confidence in approaching God; 22 then, whatever we ask for, we receive from him; because we are obeying his commands and doing the things that please him.

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  410
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,102
  • Content Per Day:  0.48
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  11/07/1984

I would add that I volunteer in a Ministry that feeds the Homeless that meet's two blocks from the White House twice a month and the Government has nothing whatsoever to do with it. There is more food and clothes available there and more Churches as well as Muslims and Cults competeing there over the Truth with more food than most of you have in your homes in the course of several months.

:blink:

Please don't tell me that we need the Government to feed the poor. :wub: We need active Churches who are alive to True Religion and honestly it's a misnomer to say that Christianity isn't doing enough. The ten percent of Christianity that is doing something is more than enough. Imagine what would happen if the other 90% got active and imagine what would happen in the way of revival if the Governments of this world would get out of the way. The resources would go farther and in the name of Christ Jesus. :wub:

Amen!

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.09
  • Days Won:  78

Firstly let me say that living in a first world country can affect ones definition of "poor".

School children walk up to five miles after school to collect water, and then carry 25 kg of water in a bucket on their head back to the homestead, and sometimes do this twice a day. Once before school (at about 4 am) and once after school (at about 4pm), then go home and try and do homework?

IMG_0905.jpg

And their animals are dying because of drought at the same time because there is No grazing left?

IMG_0902.jpg

And they live in abject conditions, and yet walk 4 hours to church on a Sunday morning.

IMG_0903.jpg

The poor people I know, would grab work with both hands if they could get it. If they were not 5 hours from the nearest hospital, and three hours from the nearest shopping center.

And all they do is work!

To survive.......

These photos were taken by me, today, as South and I drove in a tribal area adjacent to one of the game reserves I help manage. The situation is dire.

Pray.

Blessings

Thanks for the verbal shaking, fez. We absolutely don't know what true poverty is all about. I am humbled as well.

:emot-hug:

IMG_0905.jpg

IMG_0902.jpg

IMG_0903.jpg

And all they do is work!

To survive.......

Pray.

Blessings

Thanks for the verbal shaking, fez. We absolutely don't know what true poverty is all about. I am humbled as well.

:emot-hug: It breaks my heart to see what I see daily. Every job I can find, however temporary for them is a blessing.

Funny, one of the main comments they have made in studies we have done after they have been employed, if even for 6 months or so is "I feel a sense of self worth", "my standing in the community has changed", "I could pay for school fees", not "I was able to buy...."

But there are so many, and the funds we raise are so little.....

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  66
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,363
  • Content Per Day:  1.12
  • Days Won:  9

IMG_0905.jpg

IMG_0902.jpg

IMG_0903.jpg

And all they do is work!

To survive.......

Pray.

Blessings

Thank you for showing this, Fez. What you have shown here is but a tiny corner of the scope of poverty in so many parts of the world. There are millions of people living in devastating poverty and harsh conditions. I could drive less than two hours from my home in one of the most affluent states in this country and find people living in conditions that I would consider abject poverty and yet they are in better condition than most of the poor living in other places in the world. I can also drive two hours in the opposite direction and find people who have all the worldly goods one could own - but are poor in spirit, faith and belief. Those who have God and walk in the faith of His Word - are richer than most. Those who have so little and work to survive this world and keep their eyes on God, will have the greatest riches in the next.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  85
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,874
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  07/08/1955

Fez brought up a good point and indeed his point does humble me. So what is the universal definition of poor? I would guess if we were to tell some of those people that Fez mentioned that they were poor, they would look at us like "are you nuts" because that is the only life they know. (again just my guess, Fez can set me straight if I'm wrong)

Lets face it modern technology in developed countries has spoiled us, here is a perfect example.

A few months ago our hot water heater broke down, till we fixed it we had to heat water on a stove in order to have hot water to take a bath or any other household cleaning. Heating water this way didn't bother me, it was the way our forefathers did it. Now my wife on the other hand really missed her hot showers and instant hot water at the turn of a spigot. My wife was spoiled my modern technology, of course I didn't tell her that, think I'm nuts.

Well anyhow back to the universal definition of poor. I think poor is when one can not afford or able to get the basic items needed for themselves or their family because of circumstances beyond their control (food, cloths, shelter,etc). I don't consider poor someone who has the ability to work and doesn't want to, we all seen these types of people, they go to a new job and after one day they quit because it is to hard.

I think work is looked at differently now then it was during Biblical times. God wanted us to work and to enjoy working, When God created the earth he enjoyed what he was doing. When we work we are in some way or another creating something and we should enjoy the gift of work God has given us.

Fez brought up a good point and indeed his point does humble me. So what is the universal definition of poor? I would guess if we were to tell some of those people that Fez mentioned that they were poor, they would look at us like "are you nuts" because that is the only life they know. (again just my guess, Fez can set me straight if I'm wrong)

Lets face it modern technology in developed countries has spoiled us, here is a perfect example.

A few months ago our hot water heater broke down, till we fixed it we had to heat water on a stove in order to have hot water to take a bath or any other household cleaning. Heating water this way didn't bother me, it was the way our forefathers did it. Now my wife on the other hand really missed her hot showers and instant hot water at the turn of a spigot. My wife was spoiled my modern technology, of course I didn't tell her that, think I'm nuts.

Well anyhow back to the universal definition of poor. I think poor is when one can not afford or able to get the basic items needed for themselves or their family because of circumstances beyond their control (food, cloths, shelter,etc). I don't consider poor someone who has the ability to work and doesn't want to, we all seen these types of people, they go to a new job and after one day they quit because it is to hard.

I think work is looked at differently now then it was during Biblical times. God wanted us to work and to enjoy working, When God created the earth he enjoyed what he was doing. When we work we are in some way or another creating something and we should enjoy the gift of work God has given us.

I would guess if we were to tell some of those people that Fez mentioned that they were poor, they would look at us like "are you nuts" because that is the only life they know. (again just my guess, Fez can set me straight if I'm wrong)

Nope you are right, they would say that.

I guess the definition depends on where you are "on the ladder" as it were. I support a mission in Mozambique (I am busy building a house there with the long term intention (God willing) of one day being able to support myself and live among the people there. These people are worse off than the one's I show in the pictures. but they are the most happy, forgiving, God loving people i know. Their warmth and hospitality astounds me.

I could write an entire book on my experiences there. Experience that changed me, and my walk with God in a profound way.

We have assisted in building a clinic (staffed by volunteer Dutch doctors), a school, putting in boreholes for water, etc.

I am never more happy than when I am with them.

I guess everything is relative, and one day hope to be as "poor" as they are.

Blessings

Here are some pic's from Mozambique...

The church i have been blessed to be able to preach in (this was a 6 hour Christmas eve service - the benches get a bit hard after a while!)

Churchservice.jpg

Local transport!

Truckoverload.jpg

The house we are building from local material. I hope to live among these people one day

House1.jpg

Blessings