• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

It really throws sand in my gears when I see the (pardon me) crap that people post about Catholics and the Catholic church, especially when it's some idiot redneck (redundant?). Had to get that off my chest. It is amazing to me how many of these backwoods nitwits assume malice on the part of Catholics when what they are really faced with is ignorance.

Can you see it? You complain so clearly that you dislike it when people say mean and derogatory remarks, yet you do the same ... I see the plank and the speck example going on here.

OneLight is correct Paul.

People describing the Catholic church's doctrine as heretical, claiming to believe it is the "whore" of Revelation, and describing practices they deem anti-Biblical is no license for you spew out the terms "crap," "idiot redneck", and "backwoods nitwits."

Poor form.

Sure, "crap" can be passed off, but not the other slanderous terms.

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  410
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,102
  • Content Per Day:  0.48
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  11/07/1984

A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach; 1Timothy 3:2

I am noticing that a lot of the church's rules are not only contrary to scripture but perhaps even heretical. Forgive me if I'm wrong. It is irritating to me because I have a lot of unbelieving friends that are turned away from the Bible because of what is going on in the Catholic Church.

My questions:

Where does the Catholic Church find that it is good for a Priest to be alone?

How do you respond to unbelievers who are turned away from the church for this reason?

Blessings. :wub:

1 Timothy 4:1-31 Now the Spirit expressly says that in latter times some will depart from the faith, giving heed to deceiving spirits and doctrines of demons, 2 speaking lies in hypocrisy, having their own conscience seared with a hot iron, 3 forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from foods which God created to be received with thanksgiving by those who believe and know the truth.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  5,258
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  07/22/1960

Well the Catholic Church does not forbid marriage, it encourages marriage and strongly condemns divorce; it is one of their strong points.

From the Priest perspective the passages they use to support this stance all deal with the fact that many of the original Apostles; chiefly St. Paul; were not married. St. Paul advised in scripture that it was a good idea for a man to remain unmarried to better serve the Church which is what the Catholic Church says is the reason for celibate priests. In addition Priestly celibacy is not a doctrine which cannot be changed it is reviewed and currently seen as a good thing although in the past priests could marry and in the future they may be allowed to marry again.

Most Catholic doctrine has roots in scripture; however it is an interpretation of scripture that most non-Catholics disagree with.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  373
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  3,331
  • Content Per Day:  0.59
  • Days Won:  10
  • Birthday:  12/24/1965

Though severely flawed, they are still our brothers and sisters.

They actually are not if they are relying on their baptism into the Catholic Church as their means of salvation.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Content Count:  221
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  11/06/1994

Though severely flawed, they are still our brothers and sisters.

They actually are not if they are relying on their baptism into the Catholic Church as their means of salvation.

yeah, i agree with wyguy...Since i am at that age where every other teenager around me is catholic (because of where i live) and getting their confirmation i see that they are going about it as if it where a daily rutine. I don't know if i'm explaining myself enough: they don't take it as seriously as i think they should be. They understand that they must do it in oreder to get married, but they aren't building a relationship with the lord and i am concerned.

I would like to help, but it seams i can't without brining up how i believe the catholic church may be mistaken, or not helping them with what really matters. Which is in this case their relationship with God, and thus their salvation.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

From the Priest perspective the passages they use to support this stance all deal with the fact that many of the original Apostles; chiefly St. Paul; were not married.

Yet Peter, the one they claim to be their Vicar, was married.

Go figure!

• Topic Count:  373
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  3,331
  • Content Per Day:  0.59
  • Days Won:  10
  • Birthday:  12/24/1965

I would like to help, but it seams i can't without brining up how i believe the catholic church may be mistaken, or not helping them with what really matters. Which is in this case their relationship with God, and thus their salvation.

I don't want to sound harsh, but that's like saying you don't want to warn your neighbors their house is on fire for fear of offending them.

If you love them, you MUST share the gospel with them. Even if it means exposing the teachings of the Catholic Church to be heretical.

Where they will spend eternity is more important than perhaps losing them as friends. God's word does not come back void. Plant that seed!

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  375
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  11,400
  • Content Per Day:  1.44
  • Birthday:  08/14/1971

Well the Catholic Church does not forbid marriage, it encourages marriage and strongly condemns divorce; it is one of their strong points.

From the Priest perspective the passages they use to support this stance all deal with the fact that many of the original Apostles; chiefly St. Paul; were not married. St. Paul advised in scripture that it was a good idea for a man to remain unmarried to better serve the Church which is what the Catholic Church says is the reason for celibate priests. In addition Priestly celibacy is not a doctrine which cannot be changed it is reviewed and currently seen as a good thing although in the past priests could marry and in the future they may be allowed to marry again.

Most Catholic doctrine has roots in scripture; however it is an interpretation of scripture that most non-Catholics disagree with.

However, Paul did not advise that to better serve the church a man should not be married. The relevant passage here is:

"But this I say by way of concession, not by way of command. Yet I wish all men to be even as I am myself; but each has his own gift from God, one in this way, the other in that. But I say to the unmarried and to the widows, It is good for them if they remain even as I am. But if they do not have self-control, let them marry; for it is better to marry than to burn with desire." (1 Cor. 7:6-9)

The argument is that it's preferable for a man who is seeking to carry out God's commission to be celibate, unmarried. But this is not the argument that Paul was making at all. Paul may have found it more beneficial for himself to remain unmarried, and he may likewise have considered it a preferential status in terms of serving God, yet he did not command it of anyone serving the Lord. Nor does God. Paul cleraly considered the gift not to marry just that: a special gift. Yet he admits that this gift is not for everyone.

Where the RCC misses is the fact that the gift is not for everyone; therefore it is a matter of personal conviction, not church regulation. Nowhere in the Bible does it state that, as a prerequisite to service of God, one must take vow of celibacy or remain celibate for the interim of his service to God. The RCC is actually inconsistent in terms of this dogma. Early church history documents priests that were married.

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  42
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  04/18/1979

Catholicism has always been a major problem for me too. The Vatican and it's opulence, the Pope (called God's representative on earth), praying to saints (humans) and even the worship of Mary, mother of Jesus....she was blessed among women but she was a woman, a mortal. They bow down to idols. None of those things are Biblical and yet, over a billion people believe in Catholic doctine. It's just wrong, to me, and nothing will ever change that.

I was raised Catholic and I agree with you. I don't like how the Roman Catholic Church flaunts its wealth. The ostentatious display is shameful considering how humble and poor was Jesus of Nazareth. The Pope should not be worshipped as a demigod as he is just a man, just as human as you or I. This "infallibility" business is so stupid because people don't realize the Pope has an extremely limited form of infallibility --doctrinal infallibility-- and not the infallibility of God Himself. I hate the idea that devout Catholics fall on one knee to kiss the ring of the Pontiff. That, I find disgusting. And the worship of Mary, her designations of "Co-Reedemer" and "Queen of Heaven" I find equally objectionable. It's as though she is being added to the Holy Trinity as a fourth person, making it a trinity of four. (:laugh: )

But please, please do not discount all the good the Catholic Church has done in the world. The charities, the universities, the hospitals, the schools, the missions.

Edited by Logos Knight

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.09
  • Days Won:  78

Catholicism has always been a major problem for me too. The Vatican and it's opulence, the Pope (called God's representative on earth), praying to saints (humans) and even the worship of Mary, mother of Jesus....she was blessed among women but she was a woman, a mortal. They bow down to idols. None of those things are Biblical and yet, over a billion people believe in Catholic doctine. It's just wrong, to me, and nothing will ever change that.

I was raised Catholic and I agree with you. I don't like how the Roman Catholic Church flaunts its wealth. The ostentatious display is shameful considering how humble and poor was Jesus of Nazareth. The Pope should not be worshipped as a demigod as he is just a man, just as human as you or I. This "infallibility" business is so stupid because people don't realize the Pope has an extremely limited form of infallibility --doctrinal infallibility-- and not the infallibility of God Himself. I hate the idea that devout Catholics fall on one knee to kiss the ring of the Pontiff. That, I find disgusting. And the worship of Mary, her designations of "Co-Reedemer" and "Queen of Heaven" I find equally objectionable. It's as though she is being added to the Holy Trinity as a fourth person, making it a trinity of four. (:laugh: )

But please, please do not discount all the good the Catholic Church has done in the world. The charities, the universities, the hospitals, the schools, the missions.

You're right about that, logos. They HAVE done a lot of good around the world, for a long time. It's their beliefs that bother me, not their works. I guess no denomination is perfect.