IGNORED

We must forgive ourselves.

oldzimm

randall, i don't think you'll find a scripture that specifically says "thou must forgiveth thyself". but as you study God's word and learn more about His character, it becomes very clear that when God forgives us and we do not, then we're putting ourselves before God (our opinion of ourself must be more important than God's opinion...) and we're also glorifying the devil by allowing his condemnation to be more important than God's grace.

Would you mind sharing a few scriptures with me of...that God wants me to forgive myself? I looked again at the thread and I haven't seen any.

To tell you the truth I didn't get this from any scripture, but I did hear it from our preacher a couple months ago in a sermon. It surely makes perfect sense to me, if you can't forgive yourself of the sins of the past and they keep coming back to haunt you, then your still dwelling in the past and not focusing on eternity.

Well

Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, Philippians 3:13

Yes

Remember ye not the former things, neither consider the things of old. Isaiah 43:18

There

As far as the east is from the west, so far hath he removed our transgressions from us. Psalms 103:12

Is

Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

Those things, which ye have both learned, and received, and heard, and seen in me, do: and the God of peace shall be with you. Philippians 8:9

>>>>>()<<<<<

Be Blessed Beloved

Love, Your Brother Joe

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  85
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,874
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  07/08/1955

Would you mind sharing a few scriptures with me of...that God wants me to forgive myself? I looked again at the thread and I haven't seen any.

As it was said in an earlier post, I would not want to go against God's word. Ahhh let me get the quote.

Great post, O.Z.! I've never seen it put into words this way but it's true; since God has forgiven us, if we don't forgive ourselves we are in direct opposition to His Word. I'm glad you went back and talked to that man; you undoubtedly made a difference in his life.

Thank you,

Randal

To tell you the truth I didn't get this from any scripture, but I did hear it from our preacher a couple months ago in a sermon. It surely makes perfect sense to me, if you can't forgive yourself of the sins of the past and they keep coming back to haunt you, then your still dwelling in the past and not focusing on eternity.

Alright, well my question still stands as written. I would like to see the scriptures that talk of God wanting me to forgive myself for my sins of the past. I think this is a fair question. With all respect, I have made the mistake in past times of taking someone's word and not checking it with the Word of God. It only led to dissasterous results. I do not want to make that same mistake again, so you know the motivation for me asking for scripture supporting the things shared in this thread.

Thank you,

Randal

I understand your question "treetopflyer" and it is a good question. Our preacher is very committed to reference from scripture when he gives his sermons. I wish I would of wrote the scriptures down during that sermon, our men's group leader always tells us to take notes during the sermon, now I know why. I will dig for the scriptures and I will ask my preacher for the scripture pertaining to forgiving ourselves or how he came about the forgiving of ourselves.

For the time being think about this.

John 10:30 Jesus said- "I and the Father are one."

John 14:9 Jesus answered: "don't you know me, Philip, even after I have been among you such a long time? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, show us the Father?

Now it is our goal to be more and more like Jesus and Jesus is God. Our Father in Heaven, the creator of everything, in his grace has seen fit to forgive us of our sins. God has forgiven us of our sins, who are we that we can't forgive ourselves of our sins after we repented of them? We are not greater then God.

Just a thought.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  261
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/15/1970

Well

Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, Philippians 3:13

Yes

Remember ye not the former things, neither consider the things of old. Isaiah 43:18

There

As far as the east is from the west, so far hath he removed our transgressions from us. Psalms 103:12

Is

Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

Those things, which ye have both learned, and received, and heard, and seen in me, do: and the God of peace shall be with you. Philippians 8:9

>>>>>()<<<<<

Be Blessed Beloved

Love, Your Brother Joe

good scriptures thanks

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  230
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  4,941
  • Content Per Day:  0.95
  • Days Won:  14

If we must 'forgive' ourselves is that not saying that the forgiveness of God is not sufficient? If the enemy keeps reminding us and we keep asking God to forgive does that not mean that His mercy is not good enough but WE have to do something too??

If it is under the blood and cast in the sea of God's forgetfulness then is that not enough? It is like telling God that His once forgiven is not enough. Unless the sin is repeated it is forgotten as if it 'never' happened - ever !!

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  85
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,874
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  07/08/1955

If we must 'forgive' ourselves is that not saying that the forgiveness of God is not sufficient? If the enemy keeps reminding us and we keep asking God to forgive does that not mean that His mercy is not good enough but WE have to do something too??

If it is under the blood and cast in the sea of God's forgetfulness then is that not enough? It is like telling God that His once forgiven is not enough. Unless the sin is repeated it is forgotten as if it 'never' happened - ever !!

If you repent of a sin and you don't forgive yourself an lay it at the foot of the cross, you're letting the thought of that sin fester up inside you. By letting the thought of that sin fester inside you, you are leaving an open door for Satan to come back in and possibly draw you back into the sin.

Once we have repent, God has forgiven us of the sin and we must also forgive ourselves, so we can close the lid on our past, wiping the slate clean and get on with serving God.

Now I'm not saying we are to forget our past or where we have come from. What I am saying is we can't let the memory of that sin bother us anymore, God has forgiven us, we have forgiven ourselves, it is over, Satan you can't hang that yoke around my neck any longer. (I guess you can call it closure)

Joe, reading those verses you posted, I do not see how "forgiveness" can be placed in there instead of..."forgetting." I honestly don't even see that forgiveness is implied in these verses. I find it interesting that some do though. I've never come accross a verse which has said that I must forgive my own sins of the past to move on with God. He forgave my sins, paid for in blood. I really believe the question is one of obedience. As Paul writes there in Phil. 3:13, I read this and immediately Colossians 3 comes to mind...setting my mind on Christ. Is that not what God asks of me? I really don't see anything about forgiving myself. I'm going to step out on that limb again; to believe that God would want me to forgive myself, means to me that what Christ did was not enough. And I know that what He did was everything..."It is finished." And stepping out on the limb a bit further, if this really was an important issue(forgiving one's self)...wouldn't this of been addressed directly? Hopeing the limb holds, this whole idea of forgiving myself sure sounds like, well, it sounds like teachings I received that were not glorifying God, and I paid a price following this teaching. Perhaps this is why I'm so reluctant to just take someone's word for this. Maybe my perceptions are really off this evening, but I'm just being honest with what I think about all this.

There are things in my life which, according to what some have said here in this thread, that I need to forgive myself. I know this, God forgave me and my trust and faith that He has is enough. I might not understand why things happened as they did, but I am forgiven of those things. Perhaps there will come a time when God will deal with me of those things, in the meantime, I move on.

I appreciate all your replies. I will remain open to further discussion. And I do thank you for bearing with me here the past few minutes.

God bless yall,

Randal

ps. In reviewing, it sure is evident I still do not know how to use the "multi-quote" thing. I'll do better next time.

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

Not all that people have done can be undone by apologies ... people have passed and others can not be found. The best thing to do is meditate on his word when these thought come up. At least, that is what I do. If God wanted us to forget, all He would have to do is remove the memory. He has His reasons for them to still be there. I believe it si to remind us where we came from, so we won't forget and return.

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

Not all that people have done can be undone by apologies ... people have passed and others can not be found. The best thing to do is meditate on his word when these thought come up. At least, that is what I do. If God wanted us to forget, all He would have to do is remove the memory. He has His reasons for them to still be there. I believe it si to remind us where we came from, so we won't forget and return.

What if the person you wronged long ago is able to be contacted and apology given or reparation made.Would you consider this a good thing to do?

Always. Making amends is always a good thing to do. Plus, if the person sees Christ in you, that may be the only time someone would have the opportunity to meet Him personally! Allow the Holy Spirit to guide you in these matters first before you do anything.